Dual Citizen (Canadian/American)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoadToMD528

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am currently a first year medical student in Canada who is looking at the possibility of moving to USA when I finish my residency. As a dual citizen, I was wondering what must be done to move to the USA and work there. Is it easier to move as a dual citizen? Do I still have to take the USMLES and board exams? If anyone has any knowledge regarding this please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys,

I am currently a first year medical student in Canada who is looking at the possibility of moving to USA when I finish my residency. As a dual citizen, I was wondering what must be done to move to the USA and work there. Is it easier to move as a dual citizen? Do I still have to take the USMLES and board exams? If anyone has any knowledge regarding this please let me know! Thanks!

If your plan is to move to the USA after finishing residency, perhaps you should just do your residency in the USA. And yes, it would be easier to do this and would be open to basically all the programs out there because you don't have to worry about J1 or H1 visas.

If your plan is to move to the USA after finishing residency, perhaps you should just do your residency in the USA. And yes, it would be easier to do this and would be open to basically all the programs out there because you don't have to worry about J1 or H1 visas.
If I want to do a competitive residency in the US, wouldn’t it be very difficult because Canadians will now be considered IMGs in 2026 (the year I am graduating)?

If I want to do a competitive residency in the US, wouldn’t it be very difficult because Canadians will now be considered IMGs in 2026 (the year I am graduating)?

I dont know about that IMG designation. Do you think it would be easy to get into a competitive residency in Canada?