Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

DRDiva8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a senior in high school. I just ended my dual credit (from CC) school year with a 3.5 GPA. I took 12 credits, 4 classes, and made 3 A's and 1 C (was out of town and missed a major grade assignment worth 30% of my grade). The college I intend on going to in the fall does not factor in my dual credit courses into my cum GPA but only accepts the credit. However, I am aware that medical schools will look at my dual credit grades. I really want to get into a top tier med school (please don't discourage me with the "all med schools are great. You will still become a doctor at the end of the day, no matter what school you attend" idea--I understand but I still want to attend a top tier med school). Anyway, I was wondering how bad that C would affect my chances and whether I should retake that course at my university.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Do not retake C grades in college (or college-level dual enrollment). Instead, if you are worried, take the next level in that subject (higher level math, if it was math, or bio if it was bio) and ace that. You'll get a lot of leeway because it's dual enrollment. Focus on moving forward or you'll get stuck in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am a high school senior myself, so you should take my opinion with a grain of salt (just a disclaimer). I took dual credit classes in high school and didn't get the grade I hoped for so I am going to retake that class in college so my transcript is pristine as possible. However, since your goal is a top tier med school, I think you should retake the class. Since you got a bad grade last time because you were out of town, I am sure this time around, the class will me a breeze.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the pre-allo forum. Posts by actual members of med school admissions committees always say to only retake failed classes. Cs are not fails. (C-s are, if you got a C- you do need to make that distinction).

Check the pre-allo forum. Posts by actual members of med school admissions committees always say to only retake failed classes. Cs are not fails. (C-s are, if you got a C- you do need to make that distinction).

It was English II so I can't take a higher level because my major only requires 2 English classes. I just received a C not a C-

It was English II so I can't take a higher level because my major only requires 2 English classes. I just received a C not a C-

I would definitely say humanities matter less. You could still take a higher level English class, even if it won't count for your major. All the ADCOMs agree not to retake a C because grade replacement no longer exists for medical schools--if you got a C and retake it and get an A, that averages out to take two classes worth and getting a B. That's why the recommendation has changed. I imagine you can see why getting an A in a class you already took and passed looks less impressive than getting an A in a harder class.

If you're saying that your school just doesn't offer anything above English II, then obviously you can't do that.