Dual Degree (DMD/MPH) Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ808

Convenience Enthusiast
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

i'm considering doing a DMD/MPH program in health management at tufts. the good thing is that both degrees can be had in 4yrs. if i were to go ahead and do this, i'd have to start classes in late may and take a course every semester in order to fulfill the masters. question is, what doors can be opened with having an MPH, and would it be worth giving up my free time in order to pursue this? if three extra letters at the end of my name is all it's realistically going to be good for then i would rather spend my time traveling or partying~ your opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...Im actively interested in pursuing this degree as well...I did get accepted to Tufts and they told me that they wanted me to pursue this degree....however, getting the MPH cost $30000 extra on top of Tufts outrageous dental school tuition....

At Temple...they are going to offer this degree starting next year, and its at no cost....

Since I have an interview with COlumbia, I am also considering this option. However, Columbia's degree is also $30000 more..but since the cost of education at Columbia is lower than Tufts, I might consider it......and plus, Columbia's public health program is like the best in the world next to Harvard, and UNC....

As far as professions go....Im interested in international dental public health, so my goal is to work in conjunction with the WHO/PAHO in the future...however, there are so many things you can do with a MPH outside the traditional clinical dental setting....

Goto the MPH forum on SDN and check out those posts...you can get better info over there!!!

We also offer the dual degree. I was fairly sure about it prior to starting school, but right now, from a realistic viewpoint, I'm not so sure that I want to take any more classes than I have to.

I want to earn the degree simply because it is easily available to me, but I don't know about the time required to do so. Meaning, I could spend that time bettering my DMD courses rather than advancing my MPH courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MPH program at Arizona, if my information is correct, is partially included in the DMD curriculum. There are several Public Health modules required of ASDOH students, and the students receive a certificate of Public Health upon graduation. If one wishes to earn the Masters degree in Public Health, he/she can take additional coursework during his/her four years at the school and up to a couple of years after graduation. Additional tuition is required for the additional coursework.