Dual degree in pharmacy and physician assistant studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin.Mero

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the following? Is it a good move??

Two U.S. universities are offering novel pharmacy degree programs.

The University of Rhode Island (URI) in Kingston, RI, and Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI, are now offering a dual degree in pharmacy and physician assistant studies. This is the first collaboration of its type between public and private universities in the country.

http://www.drugtopics.com/small-dos...C809&elq_cid=824481&elq_mid=3836&rememberme=1

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a dumb idea, and folks who sign up for these programs are even dumber. You can't work as a PA and as a pharmacist at the same time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The University of Rhode Island (URI) in Kingston, RI, and Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI, are now offering a dual degree in pharmacy and physician assistant studies. This is the first collaboration of its type between public and private universities in the country.

http://www.drugtopics.com/small-dos...C809&elq_cid=824481&elq_mid=3836&rememberme=1

No...

I doubt anyone would higher one individual to practice as both a PA and Pharmacist. In the end, only one degree can be used in such a way that one becomes an expert in “practice settings” while the other hits atrophy in patient care.

I don’t want to be diagnosed by a part-time PA part-time pharmacist.

Knowledge follows the unwritten law in a degree: Use it or lose it.

Reactions: 3 users
Given the way healthcare is going in the US, and just how narrow the PharmD degree is. Is this not a much better option for a dual degree than having more PharmD/MBA's? Is this not much better than Rutger's dual PharmD/MD degree??

Maybe we should start a PharmD/PA/Nurse practitioner program.

Just be a PA. Less years of study, less debt, better job prospects, and less saturation (for now).

lol so ideally, one can write the prescription and dispense at the same time... the way pharmacy is going right now, why the hell not? lol shoot, i might actually go get a PA degree... haha

Yeap. Another brilliant idea brought to you folks by the academic white castles. I don't know of a single state that will let you be both at the same time...other MDs would have caught onto this a long time ago. I honestly don't know how people can get so far up the ladder and be so dumb. I mean its like watching a bird fly backwards. You see it but can't believe it.

lol so ideally, one can write the prescription and dispense at the same time... the way pharmacy is going right now, why the hell not? lol shoot, i might actually go get a PA degree... haha
Physicians can already dispense legally. I'm not sure if PAs are extended that privilege. They cannot practice independently, so I would guess not.

I can see the advantage of tagging on the PA program rather than creating a unique "Advanced pharmacist practitioner" program. There are clinical pharmacists who work in certain roles and settings that would benefit from being trained to conduct a physical evaluation and perform medical procedures beyond just administering medications (I'm thinking VA/DOD, IHS, BOP, and ICE). But those are settings that utilize pharmacists in such ways because they have a shortage of mid-level providers, and they are not profit/revenue generation-driven. The PharmD/PA would result in a mid-level provider who has more pharmacology knowledge than is truly necessary for them to do their work, and would have no real appeal in the private sector.

“We worked with Johnson & Wales University to design a program in which our students would complete both degrees in a seven-year span. We are one of the only public institutions with the 0-6 PharmD degree,” Celia P MacDonnell PharmD, clinical professor of pharmacy at URI’s College of Pharmacy, tells Drug Topics. “The idea was to complete both degrees in the same timeframe as completing a PGY1 Residency training."

Honestly, this would de-risk pharmacy school quite a bit. If you could get 2 years of pre-reqs, pharmacy degree, and PA degree done in 7 years I could see some attractiveness in that. Most people that go to PA school are already going to spend 6 years (4 years undergrad plus 2 years PA) to get this degree.

What would be far more interesting is if they completed a bridge program for career-changing pharmacists to get into PA. I'm sure many of the unemployed/underemployed pharmacists would be interested in that.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I think it's good. you are like guaranteed a job if you have a PA degree that's a in-demand major.

I’m pretty sure this dual degree has already been done (relatively unsuccessfully) at a couple places. In fact, I’m pretty sure I have seen (posted on?) threads here about it. [yes, I’m too lazy to search for those threads right now]

What would be far more interesting is if they completed a bridge program for career-changing pharmacists to get into PA. I'm sure many of the unemployed/underemployed pharmacists would be interested in that.

Genius! You should market that ASAP.

They try to copy University of Washington PharmD/PA program. It's good dual degree. Much better than PharmD/MPH or PharmD/MBA or PharmD/MHA. You can be a dispenser and prescriber but not at same time. If anyone plan to open private office inside a independent pharmacy, the PharmD/PA will be good investment. Plus, if no jobs in pharmacy, then work as PA

PharmD/PA degree sounds like a backdoor MD/DO attempt
It sounds just like the NPs with PHDs. It won't ever be the same. If you want to be a physician go to medical school. If you want to be a pharmacist go to pharmacy school. What a S***show.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. What a mess.
I've been following these forums for quite awhile as I have many friends deciding to go into pharmacy. It is the same mistake in thinking that the F***ing AAMC is trying to do with residency expansion. The profession of pharmacy has done a poor job of self policing. They think more pharmacists=good. Someone in the leadership needs to find a way to shut down 70% of these schools, after they graduate their current classes of course.

Reactions: 1 users