dual degree= more competitive specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brodaiga

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year in UMDNJ. I am interested in business and am considering the do/mba. Not because I want to necessarily want to run a hospital but more for myself, running your practice, starting a company one day (not necessarily medicine related), stocks, etc.. I was wondering on your thoughts whether the degree would help with competitive specialties as well, say optho...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year in UMDNJ. I am interested in business and am considering the do/mba. Not because I want to necessarily want to run a hospital but more for myself, running your practice, starting a company one day (not necessarily medicine related), stocks, etc.. I was wondering on your thoughts whether the degree would help with competitive specialties as well, say optho...

There is actually a whole discussion board on MD/MBA stuff with many similar threads. I would doubt this is a huge help in terms of residencies. Additionally, most MBA programs aren't going to be well focused "how to" programs to run a small practice or business. The vast vast majority of folks who run businesses or practices do not have MBAs. MBA's tend to be far more useful if you plan to enter industry, finance, consulting or management (healthcare or otherwise). You can save yourself a lot of time and effort if you just hire the appropriate ancillary professionals (accountants, lawyers), and skip the degree, IMHO.

Moving to MD/MBA for comment by people who are actually pursuing or have the dual degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody else?

Sounds like the reasons why you want an MBA may not justify the investment (time and money) that it would take. Everyone wants to be more business savvy, and you can accomplish a lot of this goal without a formal MBA by doing simple things like reading the Wall Street Journal every day. My personal feeling is that an MBA is only worth it if you have a career objective that requires it, and being a solo practitioner and managing your private practice definitely does not require an MBA. I'd have to agree with Law2Doc here...

This seems to be the typical med person response to business, i.e. all it takes to succeed in business is common sense and little bit of luck. I'd beg to differ. While you can hire the appropriate "ancillary professionals," do you not think it'd be helpful to understand at all what they're doing so you don't get screwed over with someone trying to take advantage of you. Yes, you can learn things, like basic accounting, leadership, and management skills on your own and you can also learn things like organic chemistry on your own, however, many people can more easily do so by studying in a classroom environment. Obviously an MBA is not "required for private practice" however, it can only help in my opinion. I've said to many people that I think an MBA would be a useful degree for almost anyone whether they are a plumber, doctor, or i-banker. As for residencies, it will not make you more competitive, and you might actually have to deal with a little hate such as from colleagues as the previous poster, who might have some weird association with docs with mba's but just have a good story saying you want to help with administration and fight the doctor's fight, etc.

First off, I have the dual degree, so you won't find any haters here. Second, you make a very slippery slope argument; if you say that it's a good idea to get the MBA "because it can only help", then you are making the assumption that $50-100k of extra expenses, 1-2 years of extra school (not to mention the opportunity cost of this time to a highly-trained professional in their late 20's), and the effort of energy/time to get another degree are all negligible. If this is true, why not get the JD and the CPA while you are at it; because it can't hurt either, right? Then you'll really be all set to run your practice....

All I am saying is that you really need to think long and hard about why the degree makes sense for YOU in particular. If you believe it does, then go for it will all your passion and you will make it work for you. The admissions committees at all the top MBA programs are all looking for MD applicants who are applying just because it would be nice to have that extra knowledge - may come in handy down the road, right? Their job is to reject these people. If you have a compelling reason for the MBA (and solo practice management is not really that compelling), then you will be fine.