Dual Degree opinions, please!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RDJ

I have asked this question before during the semester. Nevertheless, I thought I would throw it back out there before I finish my supplementals and begin concentrating on interviews.

1) For all that are in (or ever thought about)a dual degree program, especially DO/MPH, MHA and MBA programs at UNT-TCOM, DMU, MSU, NOVA, PCOM and UMDNJ; what do you have to say about them. I know the curriculum can vary greatly depending on which school it is (i.e. weekend classes, summer classes, classes split between the 3rd and 4th year, and PCOM who does the "every other semester" thing. How does it work out? Do you think your training is solid or is it too crammed together? Does anyone feel that the dual option interfered with studying for the board, finals, etc.? I am trying to get a feel for the difference between a PCOM/MSU type program that takes 5 years and the TCOM/DMU program that takes 4 years.

ANY OTHER OPINIONS on issues concerning dual degree options are greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by RDJ (edited 07-23-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a DO/MPH student at TCOM and I really highly recommend it. It is a lot of work, but the exposure to evidence-based medicine, biostatistics, epidemiology, and health policy is invaluable. I think that it opens the door for a variety of opportunities in clinical research, public health, academic medicine, etc.

Give Dr. Marshall (Muriel Marshall, D.O., Dr.P.H.) a call and ask to set up a meeting to learn more about the dual degree program.

http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/sph/programs.cfm

An MPH degree is so great to have especially if you are going to be a physician. But come to think of it, I might have preferred an MHA or MBA since I love the business side to things...

...Although most of my classes for my MPH were business/policy...

Whatever you choose, go for the dual degree; you won't regret it.

[This message has been edited by DO Boy (edited 07-23-2000).]