Dual Degree Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erotangos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think about dual degree programs? Specifically, I'm looking at MD/MBA or MD/MPH. I have interest in both business and the realm of public health.

Most of the MD/MBA programs I've looked at require an extra year, and often result in an inability to graduate with the class you start med school with. MD/MPH seems to have the option of a four-year track, with the opportunity to finish your degree during residency/fellowship.

Any thoughts? Are the extra degrees worth having, or is it better to just take courses at school for the topics you're interested in and be on your way?

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

in a word.. NO ...

at least for now (presuming you're a trad) the joint degree would have limited value, probably either mba or mph joint degree. I can speak from the MBA perspective.

I base this on several components:

1) my PCP is an MD/MBA, & told me that it had limited value as she did not have the perspective to gain a great deal from the MBA, and it was a number of years (finishing med school, then residency) before she could use the MBA, and by then she'd forgotten a lot of what she'd learned.

2) MBAs are "value added" processes; the point is to take your business experience, help you put it into context, and help you to understand how to more effectively package your professional persona. If you don't have maybe 3-5 yrs professional experience, there are lots of things that you'd learn that would not really be possible to fully appreciate or understand.

3) a friend who is an MBA/MD went back years after completing MD training in order to obtain the MBA to help in this person's managerial role related to medical work. To me, this makes sense, as he was a manager and an MD for a number of years prior to beginning the MBA.

just my .02, as an MBA who began that program after around 4 yrs business experience..

They are useful, but only for very select things.

An MPH would be nice if you would like to work on policy in another country, U.S. politics, etc.

An MBA may be helpful if you want a medical administrative position.

This may just be my personal experience, but the people that are MD/MPH and MD/MBA end up making less than their straight MD counterparts because they spend less time seeing patients. More patients usually = more money.

So if you have a big passion for the MBA or MPH then go for it. However I wouldn't do it for the money. Your time would better be spent in a fellowship

Members don't see this ad :)
The MD/MBA may be useful if you are opening your own office. But I'd personally rather just take some business electives in undergrad or maybe even just hire someone to help me start my practice. That's just me though because I don't really care for business.

The MD/MBA may be useful if you are opening your own office. But I'd personally rather just take some business electives in undergrad or maybe even just hire someone to help me start my practice. That's just me though because I don't really care for business.

The problem with this is that you do your MBA training at least 3 years before you will apply it...maybe more. Will you remember enough/learn enough to not hire some help anyway when you want to start a practice? If you later decide to do surgery + a fellowship, you may be 7 years out before you can use the MBA. Then you probably need to work a few years to raise the capital for a business....depending on the business.

Most importantly, think economically. Opportunity cost would prohibit me from ever using the MBA in a small business. Say it costs me $50/hour to hire an MBA for help. Physicians in private practice can make $100+/hour. Definitely more than $50/hour. Therefore, it would make sense for me to work an extra few clinic hours and hire an MBA vs trying to do the MBA work myself.