Dual-Enrolled Pre-Med student NEEDS ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

modernfam

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I'm currently a senior in high school that is in a dual enrollment program and I will be graduating with my high school diploma and Associates.

My mind is set on medicine and as of now I need help with my E.C's/COMMUNITY SERVICE.
Here are my stats so far:
-GPA:3.45 (should go up to a 3.6 by the end of this year if I get straight A's)
-I just started this internship/undergraduate research
-I have volunteered at a hospital for about 1-1.5years (mainly transporting and talking to patients, clerical work, deliveries)
-Currently in key club, but I'm sure I can just pass it off as Kiwanis (adult chapter of key club). In that case, I would have about 100+ hours from key club alone.

I'm currently looking for other ways to be active in the community. Which is why I'm looking into free clinics, but none are emailing me back about opportunities. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions of ways I can get involved with communities (underserved, immigrant) or any general service for that matter and gain valuable medical experience by the time I apply to med school by the end of next year.

Also what did you guys do that you personally felt made your application stand out? My dream schools include University of South Florida, UM, University of Chicago, Brown etc.
 
Hey guys! I'm currently a senior in high school that is in a dual enrollment program and I will be graduating with my high school diploma and Associates.

My mind is set on medicine and as of now I need help with my E.C's/COMMUNITY SERVICE.
Here are my stats so far:
-GPA:3.45 (should go up to a 3.6 by the end of this year if I get straight A's)
-I just started this internship/undergraduate research
-I have volunteered at a hospital for about 1-1.5years (mainly transporting and talking to patients, clerical work, deliveries)
-Currently in key club, but I'm sure I can just pass it off as Kiwanis (adult chapter of key club). In that case, I would have about 100+ hours from key club alone.

I'm currently looking for other ways to be active in the community. Which is why I'm looking into free clinics, but none are emailing me back about opportunities. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions of ways I can get involved with communities (underserved, immigrant) or any general service for that matter and gain valuable medical experience by the time I apply to med school by the end of next year.

Also what did you guys do that you personally felt made your application stand out? My dream schools include University of South Florida, UM, University of Chicago, Brown etc.

First, congratulations on being so future-focused! I would also say that if you want meaningful volunteering opportunities, as opposed to emails you might consider showing up in person so the coordinator can see you are a serious-minded and professional individual. As far as where to go, medical and social service outreach entities (crisis clinics, suicide help-lines, etc...) would be useful. Finally, with regards to a strong app, gpas, mcat, lors, ecs, personal statement and secondaries must be solid, and along with that you should seriously think about how your interview will help establish your credibility as a prospective doctor. Good luck!