Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Dual enrollment EC's

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by Fedekz, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Fedekz

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey,

I'm doing a dual enrollment program at my high school, where i attend the local community college for 15 credits / quarter (15 credits is considered full time), along with a class at the high school. I know that any EC's that you do during high school don't count towards anything other than applying to college itself. However, since I'm technically in "college" full time, will I be able to report EC's that I'm doing now? For example, will I be able to start accumulating volunteer hours now, and have them be valid if inded I apply to a graduate school?

Thanks,

Fedekz

Edit: I forgot to add, these credits do indeed go for my high school diploma, however i will also receive a Associate in Art & Science Degree at the same time. I don't know is this makes a difference for Boodgodess15's answer. (Thanks bookgod !)

#1 Fedekz, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bookgodess15

bookgodess15 Evangelist for Linux
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My guess would be no, because even though you're in dual enrollment, you're applying your credits towards your diploma. Many colleges won't even accept those credits because they were applied towards your high school diploma, and if colleges won't take them, then I doubt that graduate/professional schools are going to count them as valid years spent in college.

That being said, this is just a guess. Someone with more expertise than I probably knows the real answer.

4. Local

Local Stop the Shananigans!i!i!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sadly, im thinking no. Perhaps call up your state's med school and ask

5. apgar

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I would probably say no, but it won't hurt to ask to be sure.

6. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Regardless of whether or not they transfer to a university for credit you must keep in mind that medical schools require you to submit transcripts from any post-secondary institution you attend (regardless of whether it is during HS or not). If you're going to apply to medical school eventually then these credits will count towards whatever prerequisite courses the medical schools you apply to require and it will also be factored into your overall GPA for medical school admission.

7. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    What are the EC classes? I took 2 years worth of classes, including generals that are required for a college degree (i.e. comp, algebra, calc, bio, chem, org, etc.) and they did transfer. However, this was at a four year college.

8. CScull

CScull Is Positive, O Positive
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm doing the same thing with a few classes at a small 4 year state college; UNA. I look at it more as extra preparation rather than getting ahead... if I do get credit for the courses then yippee!, but if I don't I have a much better understanding of the material and how college classes function.

9. tennisball80

tennisball80 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is it true that the credits you take at a community college will show on your tanscript when you do medical school application ?

10. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
  11. scattun

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

To answer your original question about extra curriculars, I believe that you are only suppose to list activities from post high school graduation on. However, there is something of a loophole, in that you can list old activities if you continued them after high school. I.E. if you volunteer 200 hours at x hospital before high school graduation and then 100 more hours at x hospital in the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college you could list 300 volunteer hours on your applicaiton. I think this is right; someone correct me if I am wrong.