Dual enrollment student looking for advice

Started by BHarr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BHarr

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
I believe that I have a unique situation here and would like advice.
I am a High school student who started dual enrollment with the nearest community college in the spring semester of 9th grade.
When I first started as a 14 year old I didn't take the college classes as serious as I should have. I am now apapproaching 11th grade in high school and this is where I stand academic wise: I have a 3.8 high school GPA and a 2.5 college GPA(no science taken yet.)
I made 3 C's during my first two semesters and that is why my college GPA is so low.
My question to you guys is am I too late to try to get into to medical school to become a sports medicine doctor? That is my dream ever since I was 12 years old and now I feel as if I have ruined it due to fooling around in my 9th grade year. This upcoming semester I have my first science class.
My goals are to finish my AA the same time as my high school diploma.

I would really like to know what you guys suggest I do be as harsh as you want. I do realize that it is all my fault.



Sidenote my highschool pays for all of my dual enrollment classes so they will not pay for me to retake classes
 
You'll be fine, don't stress about it. Just try to take it more seriously from now on and nail A's. It's pretty common for people to do poorly in dual enrollment programs and pick it up when they "really" start college.

If you feel like you can't handle the college courses now for whatever reasons (which is nothing to be ashamed of, you're in college at the age of 14, not a lot of people are mature enough to do that) then you may want to consider just holding off on taking them. Yeah, that would screw over your plans to get an AA when you graduate high school, but it's much better than having to retake classes or just handicaping yourself with a low GPA when you transfer to a 4 year.

The grades you get in the dual enrollment classes will NEVER go away, even if it's been 20 years. So just consider that and buckle down and get serious. I was a dual enrollment student and took three W's for ******ed stuff that I regret... I withdrew from a one credit PE class, and a literature class that I had an B+ in (I was paranoid back then). If I could only go back ... lol
 
You'll be fine, don't stress about it. Just try to take it more seriously from now on and nail A's. It's pretty common for people to do poorly in dual enrollment programs and pick it up when they "really" start college.

If you feel like you can't handle the college courses now for whatever reasons (which is nothing to be ashamed of, you're in college at the age of 14, not a lot of people are mature enough to do that) then you may want to consider just holding off on taking them. Yeah, that would screw over your plans to get an AA when you graduate high school, but it's much better than having to retake classes or just handicaping yourself with a low GPA when you transfer to a 4 year.

The grades you get in the dual enrollment classes will NEVER go away, even if it's been 20 years. So just consider that and buckle down and get serious. I was a dual enrollment student and took three W's for ******ed stuff that I regret... I withdrew from a one credit PE class, and a literature class that I had an B+ in (I was paranoid back then). If I could only go back ... lol

Thanks a lot I thought I ruined my future
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
I believe that I have a unique situation here and would like advice.
I am a High school student who started dual enrollment with the nearest community college in the spring semester of 9th grade.
When I first started as a 14 year old I didn't take the college classes as serious as I should have. I am now apapproaching 11th grade in high school and this is where I stand academic wise: I have a 3.8 high school GPA and a 2.5 college GPA(no science taken yet.)
I made 3 C's during my first two semesters and that is why my college GPA is so low.
My question to you guys is am I too late to try to get into to medical school to become a sports medicine doctor? That is my dream ever since I was 12 years old and now I feel as if I have ruined it due to fooling around in my 9th grade year. This upcoming semester I have my first science class.
My goals are to finish my AA the same time as my high school diploma.
no. Just no
give it 4 more years of C's, then yeah it might be a little late. Please do yourself a favour and stop the pre-med freak out until you at least get to college, otherwise your blood pressure will be through the roof by the time you're 20
 
Try to enjoy your HS yrs without the pressure of these courses, especially since you're struggling. HS is freedom and enjoyment and doing fun things that you won't be able to necessarily get a chance to do while you're in college. If you're going to take courses, take easy ones like psych or sociology. But I recommend just enjoying being a "kid" while you can. College will be waiting for you, HS years are awesome memories of just day to day get er done stuff, then having fun (without getting arrested).

Just focus on HS grades (which you're doing well in) and relax in the last years of no true responsibilities.
 
You want to be a "sports medicine doctor"? I'm going to correlate that to ortho sports; brace yourself for the stress, competition, and anxiety my friend.
 
Try to enjoy your HS yrs without the pressure of these courses, especially since you're struggling. HS is freedom and enjoyment and doing fun things that you won't be able to necessarily get a chance to do while you're in college. If you're going to take courses, take easy ones like psych or sociology. But I recommend just enjoying being a "kid" while you can. College will be waiting for you, HS years are awesome memories of just day to day get er done stuff, then having fun (without getting arrested).

Just focus on HS grades (which you're doing well in) and relax in the last years of no true responsibilities.

I wish I could tell you how I still have fun without incarcerating myself lol.
Would you reccomend me taking a biology course or maybe even anatomy?
 
It isn't ideal, but it is reparable. Just get As from now on. Although you may want to consider dropping the program altogether if you feel you are struggling in the college courses.

I'm not "struggling" I just didn't give it my all/ make responsible decisions being 14
 
Why do you say stress and anxiety?
If you want to be a sports medicine doctor, that most likely means you want to be an orthopedic surgeon. That is one of the most competitive residencies to get. That means that after you go through all of the stress and anxiety of getting into medical school, you'll have to go through the stress and anxiety of trying to get good grades and a really good Step 1 score so that you can get into ortho.

That being said, don't worry about the whole thing now. Focus on high school and your dual enrollment classes. That's what's relevant and important right now.
 
I wish I could tell you how I still have fun without incarcerating myself lol.
Would you reccomend me taking a biology course or maybe even anatomy?
Haha well I'm glad you're still having fun! Given your Cs, I don't think you should take these classes... It's just more stress and they can be difficult and lower your GPA. Take easy pre reqs like college English, psych or sociology, etc. that's just my opinion though. I don't think it's worth risking your college GPA.

Maybe you answered this, but I don't see it...what did you get the 3 Cs in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to be a sports medicine doctor, that most likely means you want to be an orthopedic surgeon. That is one of the most competitive residencies to get. That means that after you go through all of the stress and anxiety of getting into medical school, you'll have to go through the stress and anxiety of trying to get good grades and a really good Step 1 score so that you can get into ortho.

That being said, don't worry about the whole thing now. Focus on high school and your dual enrollment classes. That's what's relevant and important right now.
@BHarr This. Ortho is hella difficult to match into.
 
Haha well I'm glad you're still having fun! Given your Cs, I don't think you should take these classes... It's just more stress and they can be difficult and lower your GPA. Take easy pre reqs like college English, psych or sociology, etc. that's just my opinion though. I don't think it's worth risking your college GPA.

Maybe you answered this, but I don't see it...what did you get the 3 Cs in?

I made C's in American History II, Human Development ( yes I know, but in my defense it was my very first college class) and in computer apps I.
 
If you want to be a sports medicine doctor, that most likely means you want to be an orthopedic surgeon. That is one of the most competitive residencies to get. That means that after you go through all of the stress and anxiety of getting into medical school, you'll have to go through the stress and anxiety of trying to get good grades and a really good Step 1 score so that you can get into ortho.

That being said, don't worry about the whole thing now. Focus on high school and your dual enrollment classes. That's what's relevant and important right now.

I just really want to do something with athlete problems. The reason is because I can relate having a fractured foot that they thought was a bad ankle sprain for two weeks until the sports medicine doctor requested a MRI something the hospital didn't do and figured it was fractured. I can also relate because I am 6'7" and of all my years of sports I see the things some people hide from coaches and parents just to play. I really want to work in a hospital and take all sports related problems and make them right.

What would your recommend for that?
 
I just really want to do something with athlete problems. The reason is because I can relate having a fractured foot that they thought was a bad ankle sprain for two weeks until the sports medicine doctor requested a MRI something the hospital didn't do and figured it was fractured. I can also relate because I am 6'7" and of all my years of sports I see the things some people hide from coaches and parents just to play. I really want to work in a hospital and take all sports related problems and make them right.

What would your recommend for that?
Honestly? Podiatry. Foot and ankle surgery all day, work with major hospital ortho divisions, and 50%+ athletes.
 
I was in the same boat you are. I completed my AA at the same time as my diploma, with a 3.5 high school GPA and 4.0 college GPA. I thought doing this would save me time and help me get into medical school faster, but this is not the case. Contrary to what you might think, even with an AA you will still have to do 4 years of undergrad if you did your AA at the same time as high school. This is because your AA is general education requirements and are often meant to be taken while you are doing your major. The classes I have to take for my major (biology) are sequenced and you can't take them at the same time or double up. So, now I am in the boat of having only science classes to take, and having to take meaningless classes to make sure my semesters have enough hours. This might be different at your school, but definitely keep this in mind, so your hopes aren't let down like mine were!
 
I just really want to do something with athlete problems. The reason is because I can relate having a fractured foot that they thought was a bad ankle sprain for two weeks until the sports medicine doctor requested a MRI something the hospital didn't do and figured it was fractured. I can also relate because I am 6'7" and of all my years of sports I see the things some people hide from coaches and parents just to play. I really want to work in a hospital and take all sports related problems and make them right.

What would your recommend for that?
Honestly, I recommend that you try to keep your options open. You don't have to know at age 16 (or whatever age you are) which specialty you will be requesting in a matching process that you will be participating in at age 26. Just focus on your schoolwork now, and figure out the specifics of the kind of medicine you want to practice later.
 
I was in the same boat you are. I completed my AA at the same time as my diploma, with a 3.5 high school GPA and 4.0 college GPA. I thought doing this would save me time and help me get into medical school faster, but this is not the case. Contrary to what you might think, even with an AA you will still have to do 4 years of undergrad if you did your AA at the same time as high school. This is because your AA is general education requirements and are often meant to be taken while you are doing your major. The classes I have to take for my major (biology) are sequenced and you can't take them at the same time or double up. So, now I am in the boat of having only science classes to take, and having to take meaningless classes to make sure my semesters have enough hours. This might be different at your school, but definitely keep this in mind, so your hopes aren't let down like mine were!
Oh man. So you had to take your sciences at university because they didn't transfer? Or they just want them sequenced?
 
Oh man. So you had to take your sciences at university because they didn't transfer? Or they just want them sequenced?

What I mean is this.. a biology major has requirements such as biology 1 & 2, chemistry, organic chem so on so forth. You can't take organic chem at the same time as regular chem, or biochem before biology. So even though you get 60 hours of college out of the way, you're just getting rid of those general courses that most people take ALONG with their major. For instance, a normal freshman schedule would be biology or chemistry, a writing course, a math course, and some sort of elective. What I've done is get rid of those other requirements, so all I really have to do is the biology or chemistry. And since you can't take many science courses at the same time you take your basics, I'm taking filler classes that I don't really need to make sure I'm considered a full time student. You may be able to get your undergrad done in 3 years but that's pushing it. In majors like business and art the AA would probably work, but science majors are so sequentially based that you can't really speed much up. I'm double majoring since I'll have so much space on my schedule though so that's a plus. DM me if you have any more questions!