Dual Program Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peapod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what is the advantage of doing a dual degree? Specifically, DPM/MBA and DPM/MPH. What is the advantages and what opportunities would it bring?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is a huge waste of time and money. If you either have business sense or you don't, it is not something you can teach. You can teach the laws of business but that is no guarantee for success. I think you would be better served working harder in your regular classes and working outside of the classroom, than getting another degree.

The one advantage I can see if you wanted to open your own practice right out of residency. But even then, you'll learn more in your residency and your first year practicing than you will ever in those dumb classes. Maybe people do it for the pride or b/c they don't have enough letters after their names?

peapod said:
Could anyone tell me what is the advantage of doing a dual degree? Specifically, DPM/MBA and DPM/MPH. What is the advantages and what opportunities would it bring?

A dual degree would be helpful if you were considering hospital administration at some point in your career.

jonwill said:
A dual degree would be helpful if you were considering hospital administration at some point in your career.

Even then I would suggest a DPM/MHA > DPM/MPH > DPM/MBA.

Since the 80s MBAs have become as common as the chlamydia those damn yuppies loved to spread.