Dual Residency..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmagnet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few Qs..

My mom has FL residency and I am currently using her residency (I'm under 23) to go to school here (FL). But I have CA residency (voters reg, bank account, paid taxes in 07 etc). When I apply to dental school for the class of 2010, can I claim FL as resident-based on my mom AND California as a resident-based on my own residency?

Members don't see this ad.

A few Qs..

My mom has FL residency and I am currently using her residency (I'm under 23) to go to school here (FL). But I have CA residency (voters reg, bank account, paid taxes in 07 etc). When I apply to dental school for the class of 2010, can I claim FL as resident-based on my mom AND California as a resident-based on my own residency?

Hmm, that is a good question. I live in IL, and my folks live in California, I wonder if I have dual residency? Let me know if you find out:confused:

A few Qs..

I'm pretty sure you cant do that, since in your case you've established your self as a Californian (although I have no idea what the residency guidelines are). I know in some states in order to qualify as a resident you must live in it for a minimum period of time (2 years, for example), have a utility bill under your name, drivers license, etc. So with this in mind, it might not be able to claim residency for two states, unless you can find some caveat in that particular state's law.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you are using your mom's FL residency, I'm sure your university transcript states that you are FL resident. When you apply next year, Cal school will probably see that and consider you as OOS.

Yea I agree with you. I would never try this out on my applications without checking the policies of each and every school. It just sounds really scandalous. lol...but you can do it with undergrad since we are allowed to use our parents (as long as you are claimed as a dependent on their taxes).

I know someone who tried to do that because his mom and dad lived in different states. All school he applied to within those states rejected him just for lying about his residency. I would figure out where you really are a resident and go with that...

Isn't it impossible to choose two states of residency on the AADSAS app? If I remember correctly it was like a drop-down menu and you chose one state from the list.

However I have heard some things regarding dual residency in regards to Nevada (UNLV) that would make this possible:

How can I get residency status other than applying for reclassification after the first year in dental school?
-In order to be considered a resident, you must have been living in the state at least 12 consecutive months prior to matriculation. You are automatically considered a resident if you have graduated from a high school in this state.
(http://dentalschool.unlv.edu/admissions_FAQs.html)

So in this instance it seems like one can be a current resident of any state, but because he/she graduated HS in Nevada he/she can have residency in Nevada, creating "dual residency."

^ hysteria is right; you can only choose one state on aadsas. however, there is one school that doesn't participate in the AADSAS (LSU), so conceivably it is possible to apply through AADSAS with one residency denoted and then apply to LSU choosing Louisiana residency. I think this is the only possible avenue for "dual residency."

Actually, I successfully did that this year. I was accepted to both Maryland and LSU and offered in-state tuition. ironically i didn't attend either because i got an even better offer to another school, but it's still a good example that it is possible.

here's how it happened:

i was a resident of a third state and attended a college there, getting in-state tuition. halfway through college my parents moved to Louisiana for jobs. my license expired so i got a new one there, theoretically becoming a Louisiana resident. when i graduated this past May, I moved to Maryland for a job during my year off. i registered my vehicle in Maryland, got a driver's license there, and registered to vote immediately on arriving (end of May), so it all would be in place for a year prior to matriculation.

At first, i didn't think i would get in-state status at either school, since i seemed to be halfway split - my driver's license, vehicle registration, voter registration, and apartment were all in maryland for only a month at the time of application, but my parent's claimed me as a dependent on their most recent tax returns in Louisiana. i applied through the aadsas as a maryland resident, and filled out the LSU application as a Louisiana resident. i didn't lie about anything on either the maryland residency form or the LSU application, was very honest, and told them i didn't know if i would be considered a resident of each respective state or not.

as i discovered, if residency isn't obvious and lies in a gray area (as it did for me in maryland and louisiana), the schools can decide for themselves. it's more rigid in maryland where the residency form has to go through the registrar, but at LSU it seemed as if it was totally up to the discretion of the dean of admissions.

anyway, i thought it was interesting that this managed to work out in such a way. back in november my father and i were lamenting that i wouldn't get residency in any state and how much that would suck. but it turned out to be quite the opposite. just thought it was an interesting case.

agreed :D

that or Texas!

How is CA good? You have to compete to go to UCSF, UCLA?! USC is PBL..so lets assume you don't want to go there and pay a ton, plus it's private. Lloma Linda is private too. IMO, CA residency is awesome if you have great stats. For the avg. applicant, it isn't a great advantage.

I disagree. I think FL residency is better than CA b/c CA state schools are more competitive than UF. Ya or no?

Schools in Cali prefer students from Cali, whether they admit it or not (the numbers don't lie). So... UoP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Western, Loma Linda... vs UF and Nova? I'll take the advantage at 6 schools than at 2, and I don't even think there's much advantage at Nova. Much better to be a CA resident...

Schools in Cali prefer students from Cali, whether they admit it or not (the numbers don't lie). So... UoP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Western, Loma Linda... vs UF and Nova? I'll take the advantage at 6 schools than at 2, and I don't even think there's much advantage at Nova. Much better to be a CA resident...

I sort of agree with you. But I would take the chance at UF over just 2 state schools in CA(UCSF and UCLA). Both of which are far more competitive than UF with practically all of the applicants in CA vying for those (state school) seats. Plus there are way more CA residents than FL residents competing for those 2 state schools.

I sort of agree with you. But I would take the chance at UF over just 2 state schools in CA(UCSF and UCLA). Both of which are far more competitive than UF with practically all of the applicants in CA vying for those (state school) seats. Plus there are way more CA residents than FL residents competing for those 2 state schools.

If you were just looking at "state schools", than yes, UF is way easier to get into than UCLA/UCSF, which are among the hardest schools to get into in the country. However, look at how many CA residents vs out-of-state residents get into UoP, USC, Loma Linda, and Western U, and you'll see that there's a huge bias for CA residents in the CA private schools. At Nova, you don't see that much of a bias for FL residents.

If you were just looking at "state schools", than yes, UF is way easier to get into than UCLA/UCSF, which are among the hardest schools to get into in the country. However, look at how many CA residents vs out-of-state residents get into UoP, USC, Loma Linda, and Western U, and you'll see that there's a huge bias for CA residents in the CA private schools. At Nova, you don't see that much of a bias for FL residents.

I agree with you. Overall it is better to be in CA. To save money, you might have a better shot at other state schools than in CA. Thank you for your insight :thumbup: