Dual state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainDeW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be possible to have dual state residency in both ky and ohio. I was looking at doing the cincy smp to get ohio residency and I will also be applying for medical schools this summer. If I can only choose one state, should I say I am a resident of ky or ohio?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say Ohio. I believe KY only has three Medicals schools ( 2 MD, 1 DO) while Ohio has 7 (6 MD, 1 DO) . I'm from Ohio and from what I've heard from family members and friends, Ohio schools (minus Case Western) are typically pretty friendly to in-state kids. I know for sure that NEOUCOM and Toledo have preference for Ohio Residents, Cinci Wright State etc. may be the same. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to have dual state residency??

Is it possible to have dual state residency??
No

Some states that don't have medical schools have cooperation agreements with other states so that they get some preference. For example, I think New Mexico (No MS) and Utah (has MS) have an agreement that New Mexico students get some preference at Utah Med. Same is true of Delaware at Jefferson.

However, no - you cannot be a resident of two states