Dude, did anyone in NYC see "bodies"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montessori2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051107/clm047.html?.v=27

Omigod, we went Saturday and it was totally awesome! It was like someone took an anatomy class and made it a museum exhibit (without the smell, and without touching any of it) -schools should have this thing available so you can use it to study.

They had the circulatory system preserved in big clear cases, so you could the arteries for say, the stomach or the brain, floating all by themselves.

I can't describe it, totally impossible to realize how amazing it is without seeing it yourself. Very much worth the $20 I spent.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I went to see it a few weeks ago. It was amazing, esp. the circulation room, but I found out afterwards that there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the exhibit. Some of the issues include the questionable origins of the bodies (something about Chinese prisoners), displaying the bodies for profit, disrespect for the dead...
I didn't know about all that before I went, and it makes me wonder if I still would have gone. But yes, it was quite something. And there were definitely med students there talking about anatomy, haha. :)

I'm heading to NYC after Christmas --hopefully I can make it to the exhibit. Very cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this anything like the BodyWorlds Exhibit? I saw that in LA.

BTW, did you really only pay $20 or are you rounding down?

Sounds like the one that has been here for a while in Philly at the Franklin institute. What is awesome is that in Philly the 1st friday of the month all the museums are free for college students. So I got to see the exhibit for free :D .

http://sln.fi.edu/bodyworlds/index.html

I went to Bodyworlds in chicago, this sounds pretty similar. It was very cool.

This sucks. I have heard so many good things about that damn exhibit. Here I am in FL with not a single exhibit close to me. After Philly they are going to MN. What the duece!

Yeah my parents are coming to visit next week (I'm in Philly) but somehow I couldn't convince my mother that she wants to see BodyWorlds :p

Of course it's insanely expensive, anyway.

montessori2md said:

Omigod, we went Saturday and it was totally awesome! It was like someone took an anatomy class and made it a museum exhibit (without the smell, and without touching any of it) -schools should have this thing available so you can use it to study.

They had the circulatory system preserved in big clear cases, so you could the arteries for say, the stomach or the brain, floating all by themselves.

I can't describe it, totally impossible to realize how amazing it is without seeing it yourself. Very much worth the $20 I spent.
Are you sure you paid 20 bucks? It's 26 last I read.

I saw it in Europe a few years ago, it was awesome! We took several illegal photos to be able to explain it to people, but don't have any images of some of the coolest stuff (like the circulatory system). I'm unsure about bringing kids there. I guess it depends on the kid and how into bio they are, but I could imagine some kids being horrified.

DrMike24 said:
This sucks. I have heard so many good things about that damn exhibit. Here I am in FL with not a single exhibit close to me. After Philly they are going to MN. What the duece!

The exhibit is at MOSI in Tampa until Late Feb. I saw it when I was home for Thanksgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
montessori2md said:

yeah...I saw it in philly

I am gonna see it in a couple of hours. Wanted to go with a friend but all my friends think it'll be too gross (and some of them want to be docs!) I am going to try to take a few pics...Do you think it is disrespectful to take pictures?

In the one I saw, they didn't allow you to take photos. There were signs everywhere about how you can't take photos. We were able to take a few sneakily and w/ no flash.

I just got back from Bodies at seaport. The exhibit is pretty damn cool. Lots of interesting specimens. The exhibit was very large too, we walked around for about 90 minutes. Though if you got the audio tour and spent time reading blurbs on each exhibit you could probably make it last 2 to 2.5 hours. Circulatory system was the best. To those of you in the NY area def. go check it out! No pictures allowed inside though.

zero2hero said:
I just got back from Bodies at seaport. The exhibit is pretty damn cool. Lots of interesting specimens. The exhibit was very large too, we walked around for about 90 minutes. Though if you got the audio tour and spent time reading blurbs on each exhibit you could probably make it last 2 to 2.5 hours. Circulatory system was the best. To those of you in the NY area def. go check it out! No pictures allowed inside though.

I went to the Seaport exhibit too, shortly after Christmas. It blew me away. The dissections were creative and meticulous, each one designed to highlight various structures or systems, especially muscles and nerves. They were as impressive as any piece of art I've seen. There were probably 10-15 whole cadavers along with many more isolated specimens - normal and pathological organs, latex casts of blood vessels, cross-sections, etc. The exhibit was much larger than I expected -- it took me two hours to get through. Worth every penny.

I have to say that both Body Worlds I and II were the best anatomical exhibits Ive seen... Saw it in LA and most nights were packed! Although the bodies went through plastination, I was amazed that only a rope separated the visitors from the body and it was a little too easy to reach out and touch something... Hmm...

Wow, I'd like to go! I read about these in the book 'Stiff" but never seen one. The most interesting exhibit I've seen is Mutter's Museum in Philadephia, but nothing like that. :)

guys,

where in NY is this? Id like to go!!!

how long is this exhibit in NYC? and is the audioguide worth it (it's $5 more)? tickets online are every 15 minutes. are we paying $27 for 15 minutes? thanks.

The times are set so that the whole exhibition won't be crowded. Trust me you'll be there for quite a while. I saw quite a few people with the audio tour so maybe you can check it out. Expect to be there ~2 hrs.

just got back from seeing it. it was amazing! definately made me want to be a doctor more...the body is ab-so-f*#@ing-lutely amazing!. BTW the cost is 24.50 for adults and you can't take pics. but i managed to take about 15 with no flash and they came out great for the most part. i loved the room with the little babies the most. i am just in awe. can't wait to start med school!

montessori2md said:

I wanted to see that exhibit. Stupid transit strike!

i went last week to check it out...it was so amazing. i really liked the room showing the circulatory system - looks like that was a popular one.

i'm glad the OP mentioned the exhibit, otherwise i would've missed it while i was in town. i think they're opening one in Houston this spring.

I recently graduated with my masters in clinical anatomy from Creighton University and one of my professors things we should deport Von Hagan. In case you didn't know, he is the guy who invented the plastination procedure and created the bodies on display. I would say I kind of see his point as part of the willed body program you stress that the body will be respected and used to educate future doctors. Then this guy comes along and creates a kind of freak show, though amazingly interesting, of human cadavers. Though you and I realize those people knew what they were doing donating their bodies to Von Hagan, a lot of elderly people will see the display and decide not to donate their bodies. Don't get me wrong, as an anatomist and just a curious person I think his displays are breathtaking, but when you step back and look you realize he is profiting by displaying real life human corpses. Is it just me, or is that a tad unethical. I guess I can see it either way...any comments?

Gandalf66502 said:
I recently graduated with my masters in clinical anatomy from Creighton University and one of my professors things we should deport Von Hagan. In case you didn't know, he is the guy who invented the plastination procedure and created the bodies on display. I would say I kind of see his point as part of the willed body program you stress that the body will be respected and used to educate future doctors. Then this guy comes along and creates a kind of freak show, though amazingly interesting, of human cadavers. Though you and I realize those people knew what they were doing donating their bodies to Von Hagan, a lot of elderly people will see the display and decide not to donate their bodies. Don't get me wrong, as an anatomist and just a curious person I think his displays are breathtaking, but when you step back and look you realize he is profiting by displaying real life human corpses. Is it just me, or is that a tad unethical. I guess I can see it either way...any comments?

To tell you the truth, i would personally rather be on display than in an anatomy lab with a bunch of med students poking and prodding at me. But maybe thats just me! :laugh:

Do you guys know when the exhibit in NY ends? I wanted to go sometime in Feb. Thanks!