DUI and Top Medical School Admission

Started by CapitaSnow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CapitaSnow

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2 years ago I received a DWI. I have a GPA of 3.9 and have yet to take my MCAT. I am the president of numerous organizations/clubs and have also attend an MIT Summer Research Program where I received a Best Research Award. I am planning on attending an Amgen Scholar program this summer. Also I have a publication coming out of MIT and one at the university I attend.

My credentials so far add up for being accepted to Stanford, WashU, Harvard, John Hopkins, ect. but I am wondering if my DWI ruins any chance of being accepted.

So my big question is does anyone have experience with being accepted into top schools with a conviction like a DWI?

Also I am attempting to apply to MD/PhD programs which I know further hurts my chances of acceptance.
 
The medical schools will see it and you will have to answer questions about it. Is it a deal breaker? Not necessarily. Will it ruin your residency chances down the line? Possibly.
 
It will be a big hurdle, but you might be able to overcome it with some luck.

Also, just throwing it out there, but saying your credentials line up with acceptances to top 5 schools without an MCAT score and a DWI on your record seems a little goofy.

Anyway, I wish you the best. It sounds like you'll have a lot to offer a school that will overlook your conviction. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2 years ago I received a DWI. I have a GPA of 3.9 and have yet to take my MCAT. I am the president of numerous organizations/clubs and have also attend an MIT Summer Research Program where I received a Best Research Award. I am planning on attending an Amgen Scholar program this summer. Also I have a publication coming out of MIT and one at the university I attend.

My credentials so far add up for being accepted to Stanford, WashU, Harvard, John Hopkins, ect. but I am wondering if my DWI ruins any chance of being accepted.

So my big question is does anyone have experience with being accepted into top schools with a conviction like a DWI?

Also I am attempting to apply to MD/PhD programs which I know further hurts my chances of acceptance.

how severe was your DWI?

some on SDN have claimed that as long as you've demonstrated remorse and taken all the actions (completed probation, attended counseling, etc.), a minor DUI/DWI will not be a dealbreaker; in fact, many claim it won't even be a significant hurdle.

having said that, don't bank on top schools regardless of your application. when the time comes, apply early and broadly.
 
2 years ago I received a DWI. I have a GPA of 3.9 and have yet to take my MCAT. I am the president of numerous organizations/clubs and have also attend an MIT Summer Research Program where I received a Best Research Award. I am planning on attending an Amgen Scholar program this summer. Also I have a publication coming out of MIT and one at the university I attend.

My credentials so far add up for being accepted to Stanford, WashU, Harvard, John Hopkins, ect. but I am wondering if my DWI ruins any chance of being accepted.

So my big question is does anyone have experience with being accepted into top schools with a conviction like a DWI?

Also I am attempting to apply to MD/PhD programs which I know further hurts my chances of acceptance.

Did you attend AA or anything like that? Even if you don't think you are an alcoholic, med schools will probably want to see that you at least show remorse for your actions and took responsibility to fix your "problem" and to learn and grow from your mistakes. If you got a DUI and then did nothing to try to change or better yourself in the wake of the incident, this will probably look pretty bad. I'm not personally judging you here, but medical schools certainly will be.
 
Also, just throwing it out there, but saying your credentials line up with acceptances to top 5 schools without an MCAT score and a DWI on your record seems a little goofy.

Agreed, MCAT is honestly the more important factor once you have a decent GPA. The DUI means you need to have out of this world EC's to make up for the fact that you have this black mark on your record.
 
You can't say "My credentials so far add up for being accepted to Stanford, WashU, Harvard, John Hopkins, ect." when you haven't taken the MCAT yet. Also, you need to show you've learned from this incident through your activities. Have you done that? If not, I would hold back on applying.
 
I'll be honest, at my school, it would hurt you. I think you'll definitely get interviews, but getting accepted would be a challenge. We've low wait listed people like specifically for recent DUIs.

Give it a few years and make sure you own your transgression.

2 years ago I received a DWI. I have a GPA of 3.9 and have yet to take my MCAT. I am the president of numerous organizations/clubs and have also attend an MIT Summer Research Program where I received a Best Research Award. I am planning on attending an Amgen Scholar program this summer. Also I have a publication coming out of MIT and one at the university I attend.

My credentials so far add up for being accepted to Stanford, WashU, Harvard, John Hopkins, ect. but I am wondering if my DWI ruins any chance of being accepted.

So my big question is does anyone have experience with being accepted into top schools with a conviction like a DWI?

Also I am attempting to apply to MD/PhD programs which I know further hurts my chances of acceptance.
 
Not sure about top tier schools, but I know 1 guy matriculated at a low tier MD school after getting arrested for spraying graffiti on public property under influence of marijuana and alcohol. He did go to court to fight the charges though.
 
Not sure about top tier schools, but I know 1 guy matriculated at a low tier MD school after getting arrested for spraying graffiti on public property under influence of marijuana and alcohol. He did go to court to fight the charges though.

was he convicted, or did he successfully defended himself? if it's the latter, then can't really see that much damage being done
 
was he convicted, or did he successfully defended himself? if it's the latter, then can't really see that much damage being done

Also consider that public intoxication and vandalism, while serious, probably is not going to be viewed on the same level as a DUI by most people.
 
Also consider that public intoxication and vandalism, while serious, probably is not going to be viewed on the same level as a DUI by most people.

Agreed, DUI's have a stigma (and deservedly so) of extreme recklessness that will likely be a huge big red flag for adcoms.
 
Agreed, DUI's have a stigma (and deservedly so) of extreme recklessness that will likely be a huge big red flag for adcoms.

i definitely agree that this is serious stuff and more damaging that minor alcohol IAs frequently taking place in the dorms.

but i've read from many SDN users (mostly med students serving on adcoms) that for the most part, a single DUI isn't a major roadblock/deal breaker as long as the incident isn't severe and that the individual owned up to his/her mistake.

so OP, make sure you work on your explanation of the incident.
 
Thanks for the advise guys. My DWI was not a severe one. My BAC was .081, making me a sip over the limit. Also I was arrested after parking in my spot 5 feet away from my front door. The cop was in an ally way behind my house and he claimed his reason for pulling up behind me after parking was because my car was loud?? Bunch of BS. I attended a bunch of alcohol classes both through the state and through my university and did community service. Hopefully between having a .081, being pulled over for my car sounding loud, and attending a bunch of classes and community service will give me some leeway in apps and interviews.

I know my MCAT scores are a huge part of my application, but I took a practice one and got a 31 so I think after an MCAT prep course I can get my score up hopefully to a 34 or 35.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What you need to do is spend some time volunteering with AA or a rehabilitation center or something. I don't know if schools will automatically reject you for a DWI or not, but you can sure bet that its going to be brough up in your interview. By volunteering with AA or a rehabilitation center, you can discuss how you have learned your lesson the hard way and now you are doing what you can to keep others from making the same mistake as you.. AND when you do, you will have the evidence to back it up (i.e. you volunteered to help others break their addictions, or you went on a public speaking campaign at high schools talking about the dangers of drinking and driving). This would be another huge accomplishment on your EC and it would help reduce any potential damage your DWI is going to have on your chances of admission.
 
OP, did your state offer diversion programs? I know some states do and some states don't.
 
What you need to do is spend some time volunteering with AA or a rehabilitation center or something. I don't know if schools will automatically reject you for a DWI or not, but you can sure bet that its going to be brough up in your interview. By volunteering with AA or a rehabilitation center, you can discuss how you have learned your lesson the hard way and now you are doing what you can to keep others from making the same mistake as you.. AND when you do, you will have the evidence to back it up (i.e. you volunteered to help others break their addictions, or you went on a public speaking campaign at high schools talking about the dangers of drinking and driving). This would be another huge accomplishment on your EC and it would help reduce any potential damage your DWI is going to have on your chances of admission.

For one DUI he shouldn't need AA, thats for repeat offenders. As long as it doesn't happen again he should be fine. Plus .081 has got to be within the margin of error
 
This question comes up entirely too often, even though the answer is obvious.

Is it POSSIBLE for you to gain admission: Yes.

Is it LIKELY for you to gain admission ANYWHERE: No.

If this was a citation for public intoxication or minor-in-posession, schools would still want you to explain it, but it wouldn't be a super-huge deal.

This is a DUI/DWI. Many years in the future, maybe schools won't care about it anymore. However, this is a very serious offense, and shows a serious lack of responsibility to the point that you endangered any other drivers on the road with you. When medical schools have so many qualified individuals to choose from, why would they want to pick someone that decided to drive drunk?

Again, you can spend time and money and potentially get a spot somewhere, but it is very unlikely. Even though many aspects of American culture now favor people not being responsible for their actions, medical school admissions still very much focuses on personal responsibility.
 
Thanks for the advise guys. My DWI was not a severe one. My BAC was .081, making me a sip over the limit. Also I was arrested after parking in my spot 5 feet away from my front door. The cop was in an ally way behind my house and he claimed his reason for pulling up behind me after parking was because my car was loud?? Bunch of BS. I attended a bunch of alcohol classes both through the state and through my university and did community service. Hopefully between having a .081, being pulled over for my car sounding loud, and attending a bunch of classes and community service will give me some leeway in apps and interviews.

I know my MCAT scores are a huge part of my application, but I took a practice one and got a 31 so I think after an MCAT prep course I can get my score up hopefully to a 34 or 35.

There's a pretty big difference between a 34 and a 31. And a 34 is honestly average/maybe even slightly below average for the top schools you mentioned. A 3.9 is a stellar GPA elsewhere, but routine at top schools. If you go back to the Ask LizzyM thread, you'll see that 2/3 of the candidates interviewed at her (top) schools have a GPA > 3.8. Add on your DWI, and I don't know why you still think your credentials "add up to being accepted at top schools," especially if you haven't even started MCAT prep!

I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply to those schools or get your hopes down, but do not be so overconfident. A DWI is a pretty serious issue for med schools, and there are thousands of applicants who are just like you, and maybe even better than you, in terms of merit who have a perfectly clean record.
 
There was a time when the legal limit was 0.10. I bet there are a few adcom members who would be close to a 0.081 after Thanksgiving dinner or a night on the town. If so, that adcom might cut you some slack. We've had Members of Congress and members of the clergy with DUI records.

With good grades and good scores, apply to 33% more schools within your range than other folks would (20 rather than 15) and you should have a decent shot at admission.
 
Also consider that public intoxication and vandalism, while serious, probably is not going to be viewed on the same level as a DUI by most people.
I could not agree more. Driving drunk is a severe menace to society, and presents a deadly threat to the countless innocent people who are unfortunate enough to be sharing the roadways with you. Stumbling down the street intoxicated isn't something to be proud of, but compared to a DUI, it's not nearly as reckless or as flagrantly careless about other people's lives and safety.
 
2 years ago I received a DWI. I have a GPA of 3.9 and have yet to take my MCAT. I am the president of numerous organizations/clubs and have also attend an MIT Summer Research Program where I received a Best Research Award. I am planning on attending an Amgen Scholar program this summer. Also I have a publication coming out of MIT and one at the university I attend.

My credentials so far add up for being accepted to Stanford, WashU, Harvard, John Hopkins, ect. but I am wondering if my DWI ruins any chance of being accepted.

lol
 
Thanks for the advise guys. My DWI was not a severe one. My BAC was .081, making me a sip over the limit. Also I was arrested after parking in my spot 5 feet away from my front door. The cop was in an ally way behind my house and he claimed his reason for pulling up behind me after parking was because my car was loud?? Bunch of BS. I attended a bunch of alcohol classes both through the state and through my university and did community service. Hopefully between having a .081, being pulled over for my car sounding loud, and attending a bunch of classes and community service will give me some leeway in apps and interviews.

I know my MCAT scores are a huge part of my application, but I took a practice one and got a 31 so I think after an MCAT prep course I can get my score up hopefully to a 34 or 35.


Be sure to explain that in your application/interview.
 
Be sure to explain that in your application/interview.

agreed.

OP, you want to clearly state the most important fact of 0.081...but dont make it sound as if you are giving excuses/trying to paint an image of the world not being fair and that you were a victim.
 
There was a time when the legal limit was 0.10. I bet there are a few adcom members who would be close to a 0.081 after Thanksgiving dinner or a night on the town. If so, that adcom might cut you some slack. We've had Members of Congress and members of the clergy with DUI records.

With good grades and good scores, apply to 33% more schools within your range than other folks would (20 rather than 15) and you should have a decent shot at admission.

LizzyM, what is a "decent shot" in your opinion? a 50% chance of acceptance?
 
Thanks for the advise guys. My DWI was not a severe one. My BAC was .081, making me a sip over the limit. Also I was arrested after parking in my spot 5 feet away from my front door. The cop was in an ally way behind my house and he claimed his reason for pulling up behind me after parking was because my car was loud?? Bunch of BS. I attended a bunch of alcohol classes both through the state and through my university and did community service. Hopefully between having a .081, being pulled over for my car sounding loud, and attending a bunch of classes and community service will give me some leeway in apps and interviews.

I know my MCAT scores are a huge part of my application, but I took a practice one and got a 31 so I think after an MCAT prep course I can get my score up hopefully to a 34 or 35.

You're playing the victim here. You had an 081 BAC. That IS, by definition, drunk. In some states, you can be arrested and charged at a reduced level with an 050 (e.g., DWAIs in CO). Why the cop pulled you over is irrelevant. He had a suspicion that proved correct. Ultimately, it's your fault and DUIs do have a stigma associated with them.

Secondly, I would emphasize that while a 31 on your diagnostic is great, it doesn't really say much. I had a 33 on my diagnostic, averaged a 37 on my AAMC practice tests (with all but one 36-40) and ended up with a 32 on the real thing. I wouldn't assume anything about top-ranked schools and such. Your question SHOULD be "with a DUI in the past two years, do I have a chance at ANY U.S. MD program?" The answer there is: "maybe, if you take full responsibility, respond well in interviews, have fantastic ECs, and get a strong MCAT score."
 
A decent shot is the proportion of applicants of your race admitted within your gpa and MCAT bands (See Tables 25 on AAMC website).

gotcha. so for someone with a 3.9 and conceivably a 34+ (as in the OP's case), then the OP's chance should be well into the 80s %.
 
agreed.

OP, you want to clearly state the most important fact of 0.081...but dont make it sound as if you are giving excuses/trying to paint an image of the world not being fair and that you were a victim.

No I was being facetious.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi OP. Capita is boss. My old Sierrascope FK is still my favorite ride.