DUI/ Licensing process in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASPIRETOPSYCH

Reaction score
Hi ya'll

Long story short, I received a DUI from a neighboring state approximately 6 years ago... even before grad school, and before turning my life around for the better. Don't worry, I hate myself enough for that big mistake and take full responsibility for it.

As I am about to finish internship and will be applying for provisional licensure in less than a year, I want to see if anyone has any insight on how this might affect my ability to get licensed in my home state (Texas)? I am dreading this process and would deeply appreciate ANY assistance/guidance/advice. Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Like most states, Texas requires applicants got licensure to undergo a criminal records check. If a candidate has concerns about eligibility due to criminal record, you can get a preliminary review from the psychology board. I’d encourage you to do that ASAP- I’ve never dealt with Texas Board (or any board regarding criminal records issues) but my experience with other boards is that they can sometimes take awhile to get back to you.

Yeah, I think this is going to vary board by board, but it can't hurt you to reach out to the board and ask about their policies, what they'd recommend, etc - it's going to come up in the licensure process regardless, so there's no downside to being proactive (it's not like they wouldn't otherwise find out and you might "tip them off" to it by asking).

Good luck, OP!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great ideas. Thanks.
Any advice from currently licensed psychologists in TX would also be much appreciated

Definitely seek out advice from the board. I had a friend with a similar situation (DUI in pre-grad school life) in California and their license was granted, however with conditions. Essentially their first license was issued and they were immediately placed on probation and had to disclose such to potential employers/clients.

IMO, it brings up questions about how far into our past ought Boards be able to ask about and how relevant distant events are to our current functioning.

One thing you might consider is finding out if there is an expungement process for the DUI in the state you received one. A quick Google search suggests that DUIs are never able to be expunged/sealed in Texas, but they might be in Oklahoma or Arkansas, for example. The process can be time consuming so now is the time to look into it.

IMO, it brings up questions about how far into our past ought Boards be able to ask about and how relevant distant events are to our current functioning.

I have this debate in my mind often. A friend of mine was almost completely blacklisted from getting licensed because of something he did when he was 19. He was 37 when attempting to get licensed, with a clear and clean history since. He had to end up having an independent psych eval, along with a whole slew of other requirements and meetings prior to being granted licensure, which ended up taking 2 years'ish. I get protecting the public, and that is what boards are specifically designed for, but sometimes I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far....likely as a result of unethical/stupid stuff clinicians have done to set the current bar.

I have this debate in my mind often. A friend of mine was almost completely blacklisted from getting licensed because of something he did when he was 19. He was 37 when attempting to get licensed, with a clear and clean history since. He had to end up having an independent psych eval, along with a whole slew of other requirements and meetings prior to being granted licensure, which ended up taking 2 years'ish. I get protecting the public, and that is what boards are specifically designed for, but sometimes I wonder if the pendulum has swung too far....likely as a result of unethical/stupid stuff clinicians have done to set the current bar.

It'd depend on the severity of the issue. In an extreme example, sexual assault, I wouldn't care about a 20 year clean history, I wouldn't want that person near patients. But also, I wonder if the flooding of the market, especially with poorly trained "clinicians" from diploma mills, has anything to do with this. Very few places are hurting for providers, so why wouldn't licensing boards go to fairly great lengths to reduce their liability?

Reactions: 1 user
First, see if an expungement is possible in the state you got the DUI. This will only help your case.

Idk what the regulations are in Texas, but in CA where I live, the board cannot deny a license based on an expunged or dismissed DUI (California Business and Professions Code §480 (c)). However, you have to disclose it in the application for licensure and show proof of the expungement/dismissal. Hopefully Texas has a similiar law.