Dui

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwando

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting into medical school with a DUI on my record. It is the only thing of my record. I have not speending tickets or anything. This is serious i'm not a troll.

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances of getting into medical school with a DUI on my record. It is the only thing of my record. I have not speending tickets or anything. This is serious i'm not a troll.

It is a huge negative, not a death sentence but a huge negative. Most folks who get a DUI have a serious alcohol/drug problem. That is a statistical fact and reality. The Admissions Committees realizes this. That is why when you get your first DUI, you are required to go through an alcohol drug program. Ad Coms are not real excited about admitting folks with this kind of history, especially when 10,000 people with great grades and MCAT scores and a clean record also want to be admitted.

So, you have dug yourself a 50 foot hole with wet mud on the sides. Can you climb out? Probably not, but some people have done it.

Basically, you took a shot gun and just shot your right foot off and now you have to walk with only one good foot. Good luck.

do i have to let the medical schools know that i have a DUI on my record? or can i try to hide it?

Members don't see this ad :)
do i have to let the medical schools know that i have a DUI on my record? or can i try to hide it?

Nice. Now you not only have a drug and alcohol problem but you want to figure out how to lie and falsify your med school application. Sure, sounds good to me. We need more doctors like you. Alcoholic liars.

Sorry, sounds like a troll to me. Troll on, troll on. I just wasted 5 minutes of my life. Oh, well. Just trying to be a good Samaritan.

I do not have an alcohol issue, this DUI was an isolated incident. I was simply in the wrong plac at the wrong time (i know everybody's reason and logic). I don't feel like this incident should affect the rest of my life and I feel like I deserve a chance since the rest of my criminal record and academic record are stellar.

How about some broad generalizations?

-There are some schools that will immediately throw you out as a candidate.

-You can go ahead and deduct about 4 or 5 points from your GPA+MCAT calculation

-Most of your interviewers will either bring it up or expect you to, and it will "color" their views of you

I do not have an alcohol issue, this DUI was an isolated incident. I was simply in the wrong plac at the wrong time (i know everybody's reason and logic). I don't feel like this incident should affect the rest of my life and I feel like I deserve a chance since the rest of my criminal record and academic record are stellar.

Was it a misdemeanor? If so you'll have to report it on the primary, but I think it's not always a misdemeanor.

If it's not a misdemeanor it would probably only seen by CBC schools initially.

Last edited:
it is a misdemeaner and actually it is not on my record yet. I hired a lawyer and he is stalling it in court for as long as he can even though he himself think the police are making an example of me. if when i apply and it is still in the courts would i have to report it?

On a somewhat related note, I recieved a citation for having an open bottle of alcohol in public (stupid 18 y.o at the time). That doesn't get reported right?

it is a misdemeaner and actually it is not on my record yet. I hired a lawyer and he is stalling it in court for as long as he can even though he himself think the police are making an example of me. if when i apply and it is still in the courts would i have to report it?

Your grammar/spelling is terrible.

If I was an Adcom this is what I would be thinking:

You made a conscious decision to drink alcohol and drive, that was a piss poor decision, and medicine is all about making good decisions. A DUI is not only irresponsible, it is reckless and shows a complete disregard not only for your own safety, but for the safety of everyone who would be around you. Sorry your chances are slim to none at my school. That being said, I'm a more hardliner about it.

Someone SOME where may take you, and assuming you aren't a troll I wish you all the best, but it is a terrible thing to have on your record.

Also the fact that you would lie about it is unbelievable.

*steps off soap box*

You only have to report it if you've been convicted, plead guilty, or plead no contest.

If you are convicted, plead guilty, or plead no contest in the time between an acceptance and matriculation, you have to report it in writing to the school(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
On a somewhat related note, I recieved a citation for having an open bottle of alcohol in public (stupid 18 y.o at the time). That doesn't get reported right?

If its not a misdemeanor or a felony you don't have to legally report it.

OP, don't know your exact situation but driving under the influence not cool dude.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt about being a troll (especially since everyone else is tearing you a new one), I'll try and offer a little constructive advice.

First of all, everyone who gets a DUI isn't an alcoholic or druggie. I totally understand the wrong place/wrong time thing: I knew quite a few people at UT who gott'em (we ARE the number one party school in the country after all - so consequently, there is TOO MUCH drinking going on). One guy works for Halliburton as an engineer, one's getting his MBA from Maryland, one's a CPA, and one goes to medical school here in Tejas. It's not the end of the world. People make mistakes. But at this point, if you have to ask yourself a question: have you been CONVICTED of a dui.

If not, and you plead it to something else (that's what the CPA did) that's a lesser charge, like reckless driving or something, you will help yourself out a lot. If you ARE or HAVE BEEN convicted of dui, at this point your only option is to own it. Be upfront, mention it in your personal statement, and talk about what you learned from such a drastic mistake and how going through everything you had to go through (jail, alcohol classes, whatever) made you a stronger and more responsible person. But it has to be stuff you mean. Physicians rotate psyche during their training, deal with drug seekers daily, and can spot a lier a mile away. So whatever you say on your app, if it's BS, they'll know come interview time. You'll be asked about it at the interview as well, I'm sure. Make sure to be honest, upfront, and most of all, GENUINE.

If you roll the dice and try to hide it, THEY WILL FIND OUT WHEN YOU ARE ACCEPTED AND THEY DO A BACKGROUND CHECK. Such low character will definately have any acceptances you may get pulled right from under you and your chances of EVER reapplying and getting in will be ruined. I'll again give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk your even asking about this up to being scared about the situation.

Bottom line - you made a mistake, and now you have to deal with the fall out. Getting into medical school is already tough enough as it is. But now, you're really behind the eight ball. It may be best to take a year or two before applying, which will allow adcoms to see that you're on the right path, have matured, and really did learn from your mistake.

All in all, I wish you the best, and best of luck going forward.

Most folks who get a DUI have a serious alcohol/drug problem. That is a statistical fact and reality.

MAYBE true, but then you go and say this: "Now you not only have a drug and alcohol problem...blah blah blah"

Now I'm obviously against drinking and driving, it's not a smart move and I know more than a few people who've died because of it, but this is absolutely ridiculous logic.

As to the OP, the system isn't trying to make an example out of you, they do it to everybody. Get the absolute best (most expensive/aggressive) lawyer you can and get out of it and get on with your life. If you can't wiggle out you're gonna need to be proactive about it and get yourself into an alcohol treatment program, and obviously stop drinking and driving. Quit trying to lie about it, lying makes a momentary lapse in judgment turn into an issue of ethics when (not if) you get busted for it.

You only have to report it if you've been convicted, plead guilty, or plead no contest.

If you are convicted, plead guilty, or plead no contest in the time between an acceptance and matriculation, you have to report it in writing to the school(s).

I believe they can also withdraw your acceptance as well.

MAYBE true, but then you go and say this: "Now you not only have a drug and alcohol problem...blah blah blah"

Now I'm obviously against drinking and driving, it's not a smart move and I know more than a few people who've died because of it, but this is absolutely ridiculous logic.

As to the OP, the system isn't trying to make an example out of you, they do it to everybody. Get the absolute best (most expensive/aggressive) lawyer you can and get out of it and get on with your life. If you can't wiggle out you're gonna need to be proactive about it and get yourself into an alcohol treatment program, and obviously stop drinking and driving. Quit trying to lie about it, lying makes a momentary lapse in judgment turn into an issue of ethics when (not if) you get busted for it.

I can't speak for who you quoted, but I think the "now you not only have a drug and alcohol problem..." was accurate. Legally he does have a "drug and alcohol program," whether or not he as an individual has some addiction problem isn't clear, but according to his state, once he is convicted he does have a problem.

do you even know how many drinks a 170 pound male would need to have in order to be over the limit? it's not as many as you think.

NEWSFLASH....The vast majority of drivers that get arrested for DUII have been driving while drunk hundreds or thousands of times. It just caught up with them on that one night. And trying to figure out how to lie to medical schools does not give me alot of confidence that I want this guy to join me in the medical profession. An alcohol problem and a liar does not a good doctor make. Just my humble opinion. Sure I am pretty conservative, but hey the trout are biting in Oregon. And trout do not drink, or at least the trout that hit my sorry fly.

do you even know how many drinks a 170 pound male would need to have in order to be over the limit? it's not as many as you think.

do you? however few you had, clearly it was enough to impair you such that you got caught. Just because you don't agree with a law, or think that you're fine to drive after a few, doesn't mean you are. That's the law, break it and you have to deal with the consequences. There's no such thing as being in the wrong place at the wrong time for getting a DUI...unless there was some sort of emergency where you HAD to drive and it was a life or death situation...you made an idiotic decision.

And I would think this is going to hurt you more than if it had happened earlier, seeing as you're in the process of applying...which should mean that you think you're mature enough and capable of making big decisions and you've just demonstrated that you might lack that maturity.

If that is your best defense, I hate to say it, but I think you're pretty much done. Again, provided you're not a troll.

Speaking of which, I think we should have an acronym for this since one of these threads pops up like twice a day. I suggest IYNAT (If Your Not A Troll), it is able to be pronounced in an entertaining way, is easy to remember, and could readily be applied to the start of a post to cut down on everyone's precious typing time and prevent people from feeling as foolish if they inadvertently feed the troll in an attempt to be helpful.

for a 170 pound male....two mixed drinks at a bar = over the limit.

If you have a DUI on your record it will even be very difficult to get medically licensed after Medical school. So needless to say, stalling it wont help you much. If it is serious, it's just gonna come up later after you've already blown 4 years and $250,000 on medical school just to have your medical license denied for driving under the influence.

Sooo.....you might wanna look a little further down the line than just "can I still get into medical school"

how about haveing two rum and cokes? how about you go to a mexican restaurant have two magaritas? say you do this at happy hour after a really hard day or week. its been about 5 hours since you've had lunch, your stomach is empty.....over the limit....i just hope you guys know that the legal limit is not very high....most people who drive after having any alcohol are at risk.

how about haveing two rum and cokes? how about you go to a mexican restaurant have two magaritas? say you do this at happy hour after a really hard day or week. its been about 5 hours since you've had lunch, your stomach is empty.....over the limit....i just hope you guys know that the legal limit is not very high....most people who drive after having any alcohol are at risk.

Well....most people are aware that drinking two drinks in succession after not eating for 5 hours and then driving immediately afterwards is probably not a good idea.

Just throwing this out there:

most people who get DUIs do have a serious problem. But a DUI just after you turn 21 when you [possibly] didn't drink b4 21 is not quite the same. Most med schools know this and don't rush to say that you have an alcohol/drug addiction problem. Nevertheless, a DUI will not only come up @ interviews, but also potentially could be a speed bump in residency applications, licensing, rotations, or all of the above. Med schools know this, too, and they don't want to give someone an education who won't be able to use it. Whether these things affect you will depend on the circumstances of your arrest and whether this is a one time incedent. This may suprise you, but everyone says that it was a "one time thing", until the second time.

I'm not really sure why you are trying to so hard to convince us that it is "easy" to do what you've done. The fact is that you have to deal with it now, and it's not productive for you to spending time trying to garner sympathy. Perhaps you were unlucky in getting caught...but IMHO it's luckier for the people driving around you that may have been in danger. TexasMD gave you some excellent and practical advice. I suggest you take it into consideration.

Just throwing this out there:

most people who get DUIs do have a serious problem. But a DUI just after you turn 21 when you [possibly] didn't drink b4 21 is not quite the same. Most med schools know this and don't rush to say that you have an alcohol/drug addiction problem. Nevertheless, a DUI will not only come up @ interviews, but also potentially could be a speed bump in residency applications, licensing, rotations, or all of the above. Med schools know this, too, and they don't want to give someone an education who won't be able to use it. Whether these things affect you will depend on the circumstances of your arrest and whether this is a one time incedent. This may suprise you, but everyone says that it was a "one time thing", until the second time.

Should also add that those Drunks who kill innocent people in accident's say the same thing as well. Good overall post, the DUI doesn't go away, ever.

and OP, I'd like to add that if you walk into an interview with anything near resembling the attitude and defense you came into this thread with, the Ad Com will probably laugh you out the door.

Be a man and own up to it, don't explain it away.

Should also add that those Drunks who kill innocent people in accident's say the same thing as well. Good overall post, the DUI doesn't go away, ever.

RA1987, no offense, but you are being a bit of an e-deuche to this kid. Relax and give him constructive criticism that can help him, not break him down more.

dwando, I know ALOT of people, including myself, that have driven under the influence. Its not cool...at all. There is something you are not telling us. Because, guess what, it is pretty freakin hard to get pulled over by a cop unless you are doing something very stupid. I don't know where you live, but, unless you were speeding or swerving excessively, a cop is probably not going to pull you over.

Sorry my friend, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Find a very very good lawyer. gluck to you.

How 'bout this? Just call the medical school anonymously and ask if they would automatically screen out an applicant with a DUI.

And as another person said earlier, look farther than medical school to see if you can still get licensed. That's probably the bigger question.

I guess I'm pretty naive about the whole thing in that I don't see a budding addict/criminal necessarily born of a DUI.

Perhaps you can take extra steps to prove you "learned your lesson" if necessary. I mean, you could act as a lecturer for an advocacy group against drunk driving, or something. I'm sure that would cause schools to at least look twice at you.

I have no idea. Just throwing that out there.

Edit: And yeah, I would not in ANY WAY defend your actions to ANY ONE even if it IS easy to wind up with a high BAL. Defending how "easy" it is to drink and drive is not going to win you popularity points with ANYONE.

RA1987, no offense, but you are being a bit of an e-deuche to this kid. Relax and give him constructive criticism that can help him, not break him down more.

dwando, I know ALOT of people, including myself, that have driven under the influence. Its not cool...at all. There is something you are not telling us. Because, guess what, it is pretty freakin hard to get pulled over by a cop unless you are doing something very stupid. I don't know where you live, but, unless you were speeding or swerving excessively, a cop is probably not going to pull you over.

Sorry my friend, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Find a very very good lawyer. gluck to you.

I'm still not convinced this kid isn't a troll. To come in and ask if you can get into Med School with a DUI and then to pretend that he didn't deserve the DUI shows that maybe Med school isn't the place for him. Responsibility is a big part of medicine. My advice: You need to redeem yourself to have a real shot at getting in. You need to be able to convince an adcom that not only can you handle the work, and be trusted with patients life, but have a story so convincing that they feel a residency program would let you in and that a licensing board would give you a license. I was being realistic earlier when I said OP has a slim chance of getting in. My earlier posts were far less e-douche but when someone searches the boards for this topic down the road I want them to realize the "I didn't deserve it" defense doesn't work.

How 'bout this? Just call the medical school anonymously and ask if they would automatically screen out an applicant with a DUI.

And as another person said earlier, look farther than medical school to see if you can still get licensed. That's probably the bigger question.

I guess I'm pretty naive about the whole thing in that I don't see a budding addict/criminal necessarily born of a DUI.

Perhaps you can take extra steps to prove you "learned your lesson" if necessary. I mean, you could act as a lecturer for an advocacy group against drunk driving, or something. I'm sure that would cause schools to at least look twice at you.

I have no idea. Just throwing that out there.

Edit: And yeah, I would not in ANY WAY defend your actions to ANY ONE even if it IS easy to wind up with a high BAL. Defending how "easy" it is to drink and drive is not going to win you popularity points with ANYONE.

Right. these are DOCTORS you sit in front of, and you can believe more than one of them has tended to a kid who died because some 20 something year old decided that the amount of alcohol the law says is too little and doesn't apply to him. They won't take kindly to it.

i wasn't pulled over for my driving. i don't really want to get into specifics, but the DUI was (on the cops part) a random shot in the dark. it was a FIND by the police when being pulled over for something else. thats is why i have a lawyer fighting this case for me because i guess in my state you cannot be subjected to a DUI without reasonable cause to suspect DUI. if this makes sense, but i know to most of you this just seems like another excuss.

I don't know where you live but many places I've lived near colleges, cops are just looking for a reason to pull people over after it gets dark, whether it be for swerving, or driving slowly (I've been pulled over for that a couple times when looking for someones house), or a burned out brake bulb (happened to me once). You also have those states that have random checkpoints, which interestingly enough have very debatable effectiveness but lead to a definite increase the states' revenue.

i wasn't pulled over for my driving. i don't really want to get into specifics, but the DUI was (on the cops part) a random shot in the dark. it was a FIND by the police when being pulled over for something else. thats is why i have a lawyer fighting this case for me because i guess in my state you cannot be subjected to a DUI without reasonable cause to suspect DUI. if this makes sense, but i know to most of you this just seems like another excuss.

I was under the impression, and maybe Law2Doc know if it is true, that in all 50 states, if a cop smells alcohol he can test you, no further questions asked.

I don't know where you live but many places I've lived near colleges, cops are just looking for a reason to pull people over after it gets dark, whether it be for swerving, or driving slowly (I've been pulled over for that a couple times when looking for someones house), or a burned out brake bulb (happened to me once). You also have those states that have random checkpoints, which interestingly enough have very debatable effectiveness but lead to a definite increase the states' revenue.

My county uses random checks, and our DUI apprehensions have gone up. You can take that to mean that they are effective at catching more people, or that people are drinking in larger numbers.

It is one of those "necessary evils" and to be honest, if they stop 20 people and only 1 is DUI, I personally am okay with that. It takes less than 5 minutes and if it saves a life somehow then that is fine with me.

Your phrasing still suggests that you consider the cops your "enemies" and that they have wronged you. I am not trying to be mean or anything, but this is the kind of language you have to avoid when you are in your interviews (assuming you get one) and writing your PS. You need to speak as if the cops are unthinking and act without motive, and that YOU caused the situation in its entirety (in all honesty, this is probably closer to the truth than what you said). This is of the utmost importance. You may want to go out of your way to make sure you include something to this effect.

My earlier posts were far less e-douche but when someone searches the boards for this topic down the road I want them to realize the "I didn't deserve it" defense doesn't work.

Are you kidding? Are you implying ALL "crimes" that have been committed in human history are deserving of punishment? What about the wrongfully accused? Contrary to conservative SDN belief, they do exist. You do remember the "crimes" committed by Jim Crow Law offenders back in the day don't you? And by no means am I comparing that to driving under the influence, but to imply that all sentences are deverving and justified is wrong.

Again, we don't know this dudes whole story, but judging by the way he is trying to hide the crime from adcoms shows that, if convicted, it is justified.

alright im out...gotta run then hit the books son!

If you get a chance and it's not too much to ask, would you let us know what medical schools say about the DUI?

I'm not *planning* on getting a DUI any time soon, but I need to know if I should be more careful about driving after one drink. I mean, it's entirely possible I do -- I'm a 110-lb female. Yes, one drink can make me tipsy. Heck, a half-drink can sometimes do it. I'm a very, very careful driver generally speaking and I really doubt anyone would look at me after one drink and give me an alcohol test, but perhaps that doesn't mean squat.

Are you kidding? Are you implying ALL "crimes" that have been committed in human history are deserving of punishment? What about the wrongfully accused? Contrary to conservative SDN belief, they do exist. You do remember the "crimes" committed by Jim Crow Law offenders back in the day don't you? And by no means am I comparing that to driving under the influence, but to imply that all sentences are deverving and justified is wrong.

Again, we don't know this dudes whole story, but judging by the way he is trying to hide the crime from adcoms shows that, if convicted, it is justified.

alright im out...gotta run then hit the books son!

OP has already admitted to consuming an amount he knew was over the legal limit. He is not "wrongfully accused". I am also not conservative at all, but I think we are both contributing to a derailing of this thread the topic is if he has a shot so we should both try to keep our posts limited to that topic. But if you wanna talk justice, send me a PM, its one of my favorite topics.

My county uses random checks t is one of those "necessary evils"

This I am totally against. It costs taxpayer money, and in all likelihood causes more citations of things other than DUI than DUI itself. (Forgot registration, brake light out, kid not in a carseat, driving without shoes :D etc.)

thanks for the advice both good and bad. i just wish you guys would give me a little more credit. i mean this is the only thing on my record. i know i'm probably not going to make it into medical school, but i hope this even doesn't prevent me from doing other great things with the talent and work ethic that i will bring to whatever profession that may let me in now.

I was just joking. But probably! Even if it isn't illegal, just imagine how silly you would look with no shoes on when you get your next field sobriety test.