Duke DPT c/o 2021

Started by drs17
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drs17

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I just figured I would make this thread for people planning on applying to Duke this cycle. I am applying ED, and am looking forward to connecting with others that are applying as well 🙂
 
Hi! I'm applying to Duke via ED as well. It's always nice to have future classmates to discuss with (hopefully!!) 🙂
May I ask have you already e-submitted your application already? I wonder how long it takes for PTCAS to verify the transcripts.
 
Hi! I'm applying to Duke via ED as well. It's always nice to have future classmates to discuss with (hopefully!!) 🙂
May I ask have you already e-submitted your application already? I wonder how long it takes for PTCAS to verify the transcripts.
I have not e-submitted but I know PTCAS usually verifies ED before regular decision so I doubt it'll take that long. They've already received my transcripts though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also applying ED to Duke!

As for the transcripts, it didn't take them long to verify mine. I had three different schools send transcripts, so they all arrived at different times. Each was verified a few days after they got received. I did get mine in fairly early though, so they may have slowed down as more people start sending transcripts in.
 
Good to know! On another note, how did you guys tackle the "describe yourself in 140 characters or less" supplemental question? That is the only thing I have left within my application before I can submit, but I've been having a hard time coming up with what to say.
 
Good to know! On another note, how did you guys tackle the "describe yourself in 140 characters or less" supplemental question? That is the only thing I have left within my application before I can submit, but I've been having a hard time coming up with what to say.
It took me several days to figure what to say as well. I finally came up with a bunch of adjectives that describe my personality and my advantages after self reflection. I guess just tell them who you truly are from your first thoughts and show them that you ARE the student they're expecting. Good luck!
 
It took me several days to figure what to say as well. I finally came up with a bunch of adjectives that describe my personality and my advantages after self reflection. I guess just tell them who you truly are from your first thoughts and show them that you ARE the student they're expecting. Good luck!
Thanks! This is very helpful
 
Good to know! On another note, how did you guys tackle the "describe yourself in 140 characters or less" supplemental question? That is the only thing I have left within my application before I can submit, but I've been having a hard time coming up with what to say.

It also took me several days to think of what to say. I tried to provide a good overall picture of who I am and what I enjoy doing outside of school to give a complete picture of who I am. It's very hard to put your thoughts in 140 characters, so try and pick two or three things to highlight and then go from there.
 
It also took me several days to think of what to say. I tried to provide a good overall picture of who I am and what I enjoy doing outside of school to give a complete picture of who I am. It's very hard to put your thoughts in 140 characters, so try and pick two or three things to highlight and then go from there.
Awesome, thanks 🙂
 
Do any of y'all know when ED acceptances are sent out from Duke? I know the PTCAS deadline is in September, but on the Duke program page of the application it says the ED verdict date is August 15th. Is this the actual date acceptances are sent out, or is it a typo?
 
Do any of y'all know when ED acceptances are sent out from Duke? I know the PTCAS deadline is in September, but on the Duke program page of the application it says the ED verdict date is August 15th. Is this the actual date acceptances are sent out, or is it a typo?
According to PTCAS, programs must alert us of a decision regarding ED by September 26th. People I know that applied ED to Duke last year heard on September 20th, so I would assume it would be around those dates.
 
According to PTCAS, programs must alert us of a decision regarding ED by September 26th. People I know that applied ED to Duke last year heard on September 20th, so I would assume it would be around those dates.

They still had interviews last year though didn't they? I was wondering if it would be earlier this year since they took that out of the process.
 
They still had interviews last year though didn't they? I was wondering if it would be earlier this year since they took that out of the process.
Nope last year they didn't! I think last year was the first year they stopped doing them.
 
Hey everyone! I am also applying to Duke ED. I sent my application in on the last possible date (8/15) so I'm hoping that won't hurt my chances too bad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I am also applying to Duke ED. I sent my application in on the last possible date (8/15) so I'm hoping that won't hurt my chances too bad.
I don't think it should, it was before the deadline!
 
Nope last year they didn't! I think last year was the first year they stopped doing them.

I'm worried about no interviews because that doesn't give a chance to make a good face to face impression. I feel like they will have to rely more on grades and stats with out this. What do you guys think?
 
I'm worried about no interviews because that doesn't give a chance to make a good face to face impression. I feel like they will have to rely more on grades and stats with out this. What do you guys think?
I attended their information session in June and they said they eliminated interviews because it tended to be a hassle for out of state students. They also mentioned that the interview usually didn't change their mind one way or the other about the applicant, so there was really no need for them.
 
Last edited:
I applied ED 🙂 After I applied, I asked admissions when they thought decisions would be out and they said between Sept 4-20, so here's to hoping its sooner rather than later!
That's awesome!! I hope so!! Thanks for this
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mind telling me why? just wondering as i also considered switching from ED to RD

I originally didn't think that my stats were competitive but I've boosted my GRE score and believe I have a chance now. I'm also less worried about costs now that I know more about the available diversity scholarships.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad