You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Duke DPT c/o 2021
Started by drs17
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also got accepted, I'm so excited!!
Congrats to everyone, I'm so excited to meet you! And good luck to everyone else who has applied!
Facebook page creation coming soon?
I sure hope so! I wonder who makes itFacebook page creation coming soon?
I can make one this weekend if no one beats me to it!Facebook page creation coming soon?
I can make one this weekend if no one beats me to it!
I think they make the official class page, but it would be nice to have one everyone can join in the meantime!
Thanks for taking the initiative @ttu_kin .
If you guys don't mind, those were accepted, what were your statistics?
Overall GPA- 3.95
Pre-req GPA- 3.85
GRE- V157 Q158 A4.0
300+ volunteer in outpatient, 60 pediatrics, 80 acute care, 180 paid hours in an orthopedic clinic
I had 4 letters of recommendation from 2 PTs, a professor who was also a PT I shadowed, and my boss from a research position I had for three years.
I have also held several positions in various clubs on campus.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you guys don't mind, those were accepted, what were your statistics?
Major: Kinesiology (Sports Medicine Concentration)
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: 160V 156Q 3.5AW
Extra-Curricular: Kinesiology Club, Bronze Leadership Challenge, Kinesiology Commencement Honor Marshall, Club Lacrosse Secretary, Campus Activities Board Member, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Employee for my University's Facilities and Game Operations (2+ years), Retail Sales Associate (5+ years), Retail Store Lead/Key holder (new position), Volunteer for a Summer Enrichment Program for refugee and immigrant youth (42 hours), Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer Camp Counselor (144 hours), Muscular Dystrophy Association Muscle Walk Volunteer (8 hours)
Observation: 138 hours [30 outpatient orthopedics, 30 inpatient rehab, 30 geriatrics (SNF/Extended-care facility), and 48 outpatient pediatrics (@ a Duke University Health System location)]
LOR: Kinesiology professor/academic advisor, Duke DPT alumna (from pediatric location), Duke DPT alumna (from inpatient rehab location)
If you guys don't mind, those were accepted, what were your statistics?
University: University of Virginia
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: ~3.4
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2
GRE: Q 155 V 161 AW 5.0
Extracurriculars: Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Voyeuristic Intention Club
Observation Hours: 119 hrs outpatient (orthopedic), 60 hrs inpatient (geriatric)
Letters of Recommendation: 2 orthopedic PTs, 1 geriatric PT, and a kinesiology professor who was also a PT
Applying to: Duke (ED)
Acceptances: Duke
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: N/A
If you guys don't mind, those were accepted, what were your statistics?
Major: Health Science Pre-PT, Exercise Science Minor
GPA: 3.8
Pre Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 164V 155Q 4A
Hours: 1885 hrs - 30 inpatient rehab, 30 acute, 65 special needs pediatrics, 1760 outpatient clinic
LOR - PT I volunteered with, PT who I researched with and is DPT faculty at my university, Dean of Honors College, Anatomy Professor
Extra-Curric: Pre-PT Club (Vice President), Honors College, Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Society, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Sunday School Teacher, Anatomy Lab Teaching Assistant, Honors College Teaching Assistant, Admissions Ambassador, Orientation Group Leader, Physics Grader, Physical Therapy Tech, Swim Instructor, Nightwatch (housing job), OUCARES (volunteering to run programs for people with autism)
University: Ohio State
Major: Athletic Training, Developmental Psychology minor
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: Q 152 V 147 AW 4.0
Extracurriculars: AT Internship with Cleveland Indians Triple-A team, President & VP for AT Club (multiple years), President & Community Service for HRS student council, Eucharistic Minister, 4 or 5 various jobs within past few years, volunteer at hospital nursing floors
Observation Hours: ~200+ from in-patient, out-patient, sports clinic, and pediatrics
Letters of Recommendation: 2 PTs (OSU football & Triple-A fellow), AT program director, head AT (OSU football)
Major: Athletic Training, Developmental Psychology minor
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6
GRE: Q 152 V 147 AW 4.0
Extracurriculars: AT Internship with Cleveland Indians Triple-A team, President & VP for AT Club (multiple years), President & Community Service for HRS student council, Eucharistic Minister, 4 or 5 various jobs within past few years, volunteer at hospital nursing floors
Observation Hours: ~200+ from in-patient, out-patient, sports clinic, and pediatrics
Letters of Recommendation: 2 PTs (OSU football & Triple-A fellow), AT program director, head AT (OSU football)
Hi! I am an international student from Taiwan and I got accepted in Duke DPT c/o 2021. I would like to share my stats so as to encourage those with similar background. Also hoping to let my classmates know me better.
University: National Taiwan University (NTU)
Major: BS in physical therapy (transferred from the department of agronomy)
Overall GPA: 3.82 (calculated by World Education Services)
GRE: Q 169 V 151 AW 3.0 (English is not my native language so I tried to boost my score in quantitative)
Extracurricular & Experiences: Sport physical therapy service club for collegiate track and field athletes, Asia Physical Therapy Student Association Headquarter @ NTU, several court-side physical therapy service experiences for marathons and handball games, Research assistant in hospital, Field medic during compulsory military service, 2017 Taipei Universiade standby physical therapist, Violinist in college orchestra, Softball player (shortstop), Volunteer in a child development center for the blinds
Observation Hours: 1440 in 2 different hospitals in Taipei (out-patient and in-patient in orthopedics, neurological, cardiopulmonary and pediatrics), 480 oversea clinical placement in Hong Kong (university rehab clinic), all hours are done during my PT internship and verified by my clinical educators
Letters of Recommendation: 3 from professors who are also PTs and another from my supervisor when I was a research assistant, who is a retired physiatrist as well as an emeritus professor
With my background I had been considering post-professional programs (transitional-DPT) but later determined to pursue an entry-level degree because I knew there are gaps and differences in education and training methods between Taiwan and the United States. Although passing my license exam in my country, I still cannot practice via direct access due to medical law restriction. According to an alumnus graduated from my school who got his DPT degree in Northwestern, a few decent schools would not consider students with PT background to their entry-level DPT programs. So I am just extremely glad that Duke is willing to offer me admission!
Hope that helps and good luck with the application journey!

University: National Taiwan University (NTU)
Major: BS in physical therapy (transferred from the department of agronomy)
Overall GPA: 3.82 (calculated by World Education Services)
GRE: Q 169 V 151 AW 3.0 (English is not my native language so I tried to boost my score in quantitative)
Extracurricular & Experiences: Sport physical therapy service club for collegiate track and field athletes, Asia Physical Therapy Student Association Headquarter @ NTU, several court-side physical therapy service experiences for marathons and handball games, Research assistant in hospital, Field medic during compulsory military service, 2017 Taipei Universiade standby physical therapist, Violinist in college orchestra, Softball player (shortstop), Volunteer in a child development center for the blinds
Observation Hours: 1440 in 2 different hospitals in Taipei (out-patient and in-patient in orthopedics, neurological, cardiopulmonary and pediatrics), 480 oversea clinical placement in Hong Kong (university rehab clinic), all hours are done during my PT internship and verified by my clinical educators
Letters of Recommendation: 3 from professors who are also PTs and another from my supervisor when I was a research assistant, who is a retired physiatrist as well as an emeritus professor
With my background I had been considering post-professional programs (transitional-DPT) but later determined to pursue an entry-level degree because I knew there are gaps and differences in education and training methods between Taiwan and the United States. Although passing my license exam in my country, I still cannot practice via direct access due to medical law restriction. According to an alumnus graduated from my school who got his DPT degree in Northwestern, a few decent schools would not consider students with PT background to their entry-level DPT programs. So I am just extremely glad that Duke is willing to offer me admission!
Hope that helps and good luck with the application journey!
Last edited:
Thanks! I apply early decision because Duke has a high acceptance rate of ED applicants. Also lots of schools encourage us to apply early. So I submitted my application as soon as I was ready, though transcript arrival and verification took much longer than I expected.Hey twptCLC,
Congratulations on your admission! Did you apply early or regular decision?
Good luck if you're applying to Duke!
I applied regular decision and haven't heard anything yet, other than that they had all my materials and were passing them along to the admissions committee. I'm thinking it may be at least Dec-Jan before I hear anything, maybe later if it's a no.Hey has anyone heard anything for those who applied regular decision?
they just sent me an update saying my application is still under review and they could review until April!
I got the same email this morning also
they'll tell you if it's a waitlist. they're still reviewing all apps.Is this another way of saying wait list or that they just havent gotten through all of the applications yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am an international student interested in applying for DPT too! It is very encouraging to see your post!Hi! I am an international student from Taiwan and I got accepted in Duke DPT c/o 2021. I would like to share my stats so as to encourage those with similar background. Also hoping to let my classmates know me better.
University: National Taiwan University (NTU)
Major: BS in physical therapy (transferred from the department of agronomy)
Overall GPA: 3.82 (calculated by World Education Services)
GRE: Q 169 V 151 AW 3.0 (English is not my native language so I tried to boost my score in quantitative)
Extracurricular & Experiences: Sport physical therapy service club for collegiate track and field athletes, Asia Physical Therapy Student Association Headquarter @ NTU, several court-side physical therapy service experiences for marathons and handball games, Research assistant in hospital, Field medic during compulsory military service, 2017 Taipei Universiade standby physical therapist, Violinist in college orchestra, Softball player (shortstop), Volunteer in a child development center for the blinds
Observation Hours: 1440 in 2 different hospitals in Taipei (out-patient and in-patient in orthopedics, neurological, cardiopulmonary and pediatrics), 480 oversea clinical placement in Hong Kong (university rehab clinic), all hours are done during my PT internship and verified by my clinical educators
Letters of Recommendation: 3 from professors who are also PTs and another from my supervisor when I was a research assistant, who is a retired physiatrist as well as an emeritus professor
With my background I had been considering post-professional programs (transitional-DPT) but later determined to pursue an entry-level degree because I knew there are gaps and differences in education and training methods between Taiwan and the United States. Although passing my license exam in my country, I still cannot practice via direct access due to medical law restriction. According to an alumnus graduated from my school who got his DPT degree in Northwestern, a few decent schools would not consider students with PT background to their entry-level DPT programs. So I am just extremely glad that Duke is willing to offer me admission!
Hope that helps and good luck with the application journey!
Thank you! If there is anything I can help with your application I am more than happy to do so. Feel free to PM me and good luck!Hi, I am an international student interested in applying for DPT too! It is very encouraging to see your post!
I also got that email, but haven’t gotten anything yet. To anyone who was accepted, what is/was the deadline to accept? I’m guessing we’ll get an email after thatHas anyone who applied regular decision heard back yet? I got that "still under review" email in early December, but nothing since then.
Jan 12 is when deposits are due. But that's just for first wave of applicants. I'm sure once people decline their offer of admission, the next applications will receive offers of admission and I'm assuming will have 2 weeks to send in deposit since that seems like magic number from most schools.
Jan 12 is when deposits are due. But that's just for first wave of applicants. I'm sure once people decline their offer of admission, the next applications will receive offers of admission and I'm assuming will have 2 weeks to send in deposit since that seems like magic number from most schools.
Jan 12 is Duke's deadline, not the recommended one from PTCAS.
Good to know--thanks! Have you been accepted already or did the school tell you this?Jan 12 is Duke's deadline, not the recommended one from PTCAS.
Y
Yeah I've been accepted already. They want their deposit by Friday.Good to know--thanks! Have you been accepted already or did the school tell you this?
Thats awesome--congrats!! Do you know how many people they accepted in this wave? I'm going there for a tour on Friday, but it would be really great to hear back from them next weekY
Yeah I've been accepted already. They want their deposit by Friday.
I know this doesn’t answer your question, but in terms of people that have accepted admission the class is about halfway full according to the Facebook group we made ourselves (41 members)Thats awesome--congrats!! Do you know how many people they accepted in this wave? I'm going there for a tour on Friday, but it would be really great to hear back from them next week
That is helpful, thank you! I know the admissions committee meets 1-2x per month, so hopefully they will send out more decisions this week or next after seeing results from the 1/12 deadline.I know this doesn’t answer your question, but in terms of people that have accepted admission the class is about halfway full according to the Facebook group we made ourselves (41 members)
can you tell me your stats, please? Also some tips for getting in? I'm an undergrad student in my sophomore year and I'm so stressed! Duke is my dream school but I'm afraid I won't get in bc my gpa is kinda low at the moment but I'm working on bringing it up.Just got my acceptance too! Congrats everyone! Cannot wait to see you all there.
Is your pre-reqs gpa your gpa for your major specifically or is it your gpa for the prereqs the university requires?I know this doesn’t answer your question, but in terms of people that have accepted admission the class is about halfway full according to the Facebook group we made ourselves (41 members)
Is your pre-reqs gpa your gpa for your major specifically or is it your gpa for the prereqs the university requires?
Pre-req GPA is the combined GPA of all the pre-req classes a school requires. As such, it will be different for nearly every school you apply to. Most schools do not pay attention to your major GPA, or even care what your major was. Typically only overall GPA, science GPA, and pre-req GPA are looked at. If you're only a sophomore now, you have plenty of time to raise your GPA and get into Duke!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question:University: University of Virginia
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: ~3.4
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2
GRE: Q 155 V 161 AW 5.0
Extracurriculars: Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Voyeuristic Intention Club
Observation Hours: 119 hrs outpatient (orthopedic), 60 hrs inpatient (geriatric)
Letters of Recommendation: 2 orthopedic PTs, 1 geriatric PT, and a kinesiology professor who was also a PT
Applying to: Duke (ED)
Acceptances: Duke
Rejections: N/A
Interviews: N/A
were you ever scared you might not get in?I'm asking because compared to other applicants your GPA and pre-req GPA was lower but your scores are really good! I hope that I can do as well as you and get in as well. My GPA is kinda low at the moment and I'm trying to raise it up 🙂
Quick question:
were you ever scared you might not get in?I'm asking because compared to other applicants your GPA and pre-req GPA was lower but your scores are really good! I hope that I can do as well as you and get in as well. My GPA is kinda low at the moment and I'm trying to raise it up 🙂
Hi! Honestly, I was a little worried about not getting in because my GPA are lower than some of my other classmates. Since I had this concern, I put in a lot of effort to make sure that my GRE scores were competitive. I expressed my fears about my GPA to my dad and he ensured me that the rigor of the school would also be taken into account. While GPA and GRE scores may be a big part, they will look at all aspects of your application. If Duke is your dream school, I would highly encourage you to apply to early decision. I think that really helped my chances of getting in. Good luck with your journey! If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
The full class size is 80, right?Hey guys just as an update the class has around 73ish people in it (our canvas page was created today)