Duke Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mawell11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

If any of you guys go to Duke, I would appreciate any info you could offer me regarding housing. I think I'm going to reserve a spot at the Belmont, but I haven't actually seen it yet so I'm a little hesitant. Any ideas on good, safe places to live.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So you chose the full ride at Duke over Harvard?

I don't go to Duke, but I heard that the Belmont is too undergrad-concentrated and too loud. I've heard that Deerfield is a nice place to live. I think a lot of people also live at the Summit during the first year.

So you're Durham-bound, Mawell? Yay!

Most people I know who are at the Belmont are looking to be elsewhere next year, for the very reasons Incendiary cites. And yes, there are lots of folks at Deerfield who love it.

In the next couple of weeks, we'll be sending out a list of housing options, so you might want to hang on for that.

I personally can't deal with apartment complexes, so will therefore make a pitch for Other Options. Some of the neighbourhoods around Duke are gorgeous, safe, cheap, friendly, and have plenty of rental apartments. <a href="http://www.communityhousing.duke.edu" target="_blank">This website</a> describes neighbourhoods and keeps a long list of active rentals. Let me know if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Omores,

Thanks for all the info over the past few months regarding Duke. You definitely helped me make my decision to attend. Anyhow, I wanted to ask you a couple more questions about housing if you have the time. I'd wait until the housing guide came out, but I'm leaving the country in a week and won't return for a month and a half so I'm pretty antsy to get my arrangements made ASAP. Again, I appreciate all your help.

First, do you have any opinions on getting a single or a double? I'm a little worried about being too isolated in a single since the med-school class is so small. Have any of your friends had positive/negative experiences in a single? Do you think the Belmont would be a better place to live if i had a single vs. a double?

Second, even if the Belmont is not the most ideal place, do you think there will be other med students there regardless? Are there any negatives you can think of with regard to deerfield?

Anyway, thanks again for your help. Good luck with the rest of the school year.

Hi there.

Yes, I understand why you'd want to get your housing arrangements settled first -- that way you can enjoy your trip without having to think about it. Where are you going?

Whether you get your own apartment or choose to live with a roommate or two is entirely a matter of personal preference (I assume that's what you mean when you say single and double -- either way you'd have your own room.) You'll have some long days at school -- do you crave quiet time by yourself after that, or do you prefer company?

Most people I know have roommates, since it saves money and, as you mentioned, it keeps you from feeling isolated. As far as I can tell, most people have been happy with their choice. Those that haven't are looking for their own apartments next year...

Either way, I don't think you'd feel too isolated at the Belmont -- there will be a number of medical students there (as well as scads of undergraduates, as Incendiary mentioned). And plenty of people live in that general area, if not in the complex itself.

As far as Deerfield goes, I'll try to get Crafty to post, since he lives there -- along with lots of medical students from all four years.

Safe trip!

Hey, I just graduated from Duke, and the best advice that I can give you is DO NOT LIVE IN THE BELMONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is like a 24/7 fraternity party. It is loud, people run around screaming at ungodly hours, and the walls are thin. Besides, the apartments are really expensive because the management jacks up the prices and rips off the students. If you live there, you will lose your mind and be broke. Fair warning.

Also, do not rent a house. The neighborhoods where students rent are rediculously unsafe and the houses get broken into all of the time.

I lived in the Deerfield this past year and loved it. If I were staying in the area this is where I would like. It is a beautiful setting in the Duke forest only about 2 miles away from campus, with easy access to lots of running trails. The population is mostly grad and professional students, so the opportunity to meet people is good. The apartments are really cute and spacious, and not as expensive as the Belmont. Everyone I know who lived in the belmont wanted to trade apartments with me! Live in the Deerfield. It is awesome!

ValleyGal & Omores,

What neighborhoods/areas are nice, and which should be avoided? I've heard that Roxboro is a no-no, but not much beyond that.

Mawell: it seems the committee has decreed that you should live in Deerfield. Take a look: <a href="http://www.deerfieldapt.com" target="_blank">http://www.deerfieldapt.com</a>

Others: please, please, don't be put off by ValleyGal's comments about the neighbourhoods around Duke. Although I'm not questioning her veracity, this has not been my experience at all. It's true that Durham does have alot of break-ins, but this is not exclusive to houses -- it also affects apartment complexes and cars. Especially cars. It's part of the socioeconomic reality of the place. ValleyGal's friends may have had more than their fair share of problems -- from what I've heard, places rented by Duke undergrads are considered prime targets, since they're easier to break into and are often filled with really great stuff. But please don't think that house-renting = burglary.

Some people are perfectly content living in self-imposed suburban exile. Other people, like me, find such an environment intolerable. That's why I'm renting a house in one of the neighbourhoods around Duke. Wouldn't even think of living anywhere else, except a similar neighbourhood.

Coalboy: lots of medical students live west of campus in the subdivisions off Morreene Road. This area consists of apartment complexes, townhouses, and some new free-standing houses as well. There are older neighbourhoods that surround Duke on the north, east, and west. For a really thorough look, check out the "neighbourhoods" section of <a href="http://communityhousing.duke.edu" target="_blank">communityhousing.duke.edu</a>, but here's a few names:

Trinity Park is where I live, and it's really lovely. It's just east of east campus, within walking distance of everything, and has a good mix of Duke professors, grad students, some undergrads and frats, and people who have nothing whatsoever to do with Duke (which is always nice.) There are some really GRAND privately-owned houses here with spectacular gardens, but a number of cheap rentals too.

Walltown is just north of Duke, and is also very popular -- can't tell you much about it, since I don't live there, but by all accounts it's a good place. It's the personal favorite neighbourhood of the woman who runs the Duke housing office.

I know two people who live in Watts/Hillandale, also just north of Duke, and swear that it's the best neighbourhood EVER. One of them was talking about all the community events they have like the Halloween parade, where all the kids dress up and look cute, etc. Tight little community.

I know that wasn't much help, but really the only neighbourhood I'm good at describing is my own...

Hey Valleygirl,

Did you live at the Belmont yourself? I'm asking because you make it sound worse than a dorm or frat. I'm a little bit reluctant to give up my spot b/c it's on the third floor and includes a washer/dryer. Also, I was told that the belmont was particularly safe against break-ins and petty crime because it is a gated community (this is why I don't mind the extra cost), and that it is quite nice since it was constructed recently.

Anyway, now I'm a little concerned, so I would appreciate it if you would tell me more about your experiences there. Do you happen to know anybody who lived there who could be more specific about his grievances?

Thanks, and congratulations on graduating.

Mawell11:

If you send me a private message with your e-mail address, I can put you in touch with some of my classmates who are living at the Belmont now. They should be able to give you a balanced perspective.

I also graduated from Duke recently and have lived in the Belmont for the past couple years. I find it nice, a little expensive, but worth it for the amenities. While it is true that it can be loud here because of the undergrad population, there are many professional students that live here. 4 law students live adjacent to me, both across and below on the floor down from me. One of the residents (doctors) that works with me lives in the Belmont, and I have seen several other white coats leaving the Belmont early in the morning and returning late at night. Actually, I personally know 3 medical students living in the Belmont, and I am sure there are more. 95% of the time, it is very quiet here. 5% of the time (right after finals etc.) there are loud parties. I would definitely choose to live here, though I have heard that Deerfield is nice. Tiebreaker: My commute to Duke Med Center in the morning &gt; 3 min. :wink:

Actually, the people that I know renting houses lived off east campus where ormores is talking about. Having been here for four years, I can assure you that this area is not the safest, especially as a woman. You can disagree, but I would never live there. REnting houses away from the campus is a better idea, and I have heard that the townhouses you are talking about are nice and safe.

I actually never lived in the belmont, but most of my friends did. While it is true that many professional students etc live there, it is mostly inhabited by the masses of undergrads. If you have a spot there and want to keep it, give it a whirl for a year. You can always move once your lease is up. But, in my opinion it is not the ideal location. I would vote for deerfield or this place called pinnacle something behind south square. They are nice and quiet. If you all have any questions feel free to pm me and I will give you details.

Wow! You all have NO idea how helpful these posts have been. I'm planning on living in a one bedroom apartment next year as well. I'm holding spots at:
1)North Pointe Commons (off of Broad Street)
2)Woodstone at Croasdaile Farms (Hillansdale)
3)The Belmont

Right now, I'm leaning towards North Pointe, but I'm extremely attracted to the Belmont's proximity to campus. If anyone has ANY input whatsoever on these three places/neighborhoods or on how much a difference the proximity would make for the first year, PLEASE let me know!!

Thanks in advance!! I'm TOO excited!! :)

hey ricaMD!
I actually have nothing relevant to say I just feel like saying 'SUP? see you in August! :clap:

Hey Original!

I'll see you then!! I know it's going to be an exciting year.....And for those of you already at Duke, PLEASE help me out with my housing situation :confused: (see above post). I can only stall for a few more days!!

Peace and Love!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Original:

I actually have nothing relevant to say I just feel like saying 'SUP? see you in August! •••••I have nothing relevant to say either, but I'd like to second that emotion.

You guys are making me nervous about housing. I'm thinking about buying a house/condo, but if I stall too long, I may screw myself out of a good apartment. Time to get on the ball...

Coalboy,
I was thinking the exact same thing sometime ago. I wanted to get a house and stuff cause I'll be in Durham forever; but then I figured out that at the rate I was going, I'll be camped-out on the curbside in the fall. Front row seats watching the cars splash mud all over my earthly possesions :D . It was then that I decided that I'll do apartment for 1st yr, giving me enough time to look around for a house.

Rica: I (finally) replied to your private message about the three complexes you're considering.

For those of you who are getting anxious about finding an apartment, please don't. Durham has ABUNDANT places to live, and you'll have no problem getting something for the beginning of August. Here's an example: one of my classmates had lined up an apartment, but when she arrived in town, she couldn't get hold of the building superintendant to pick up the key (his pager was broken or something.) Frustrated and annoyed, she went driving around, found a complex she liked more, signed a lease and moved in that day.

You've got options. Take your time and find somewhere you really like.

A number of people went the rent-first-then-buy route. They signed leases on apartments so they'd have a place to live, then house-hunted at their leisure. Some of them moved in to their new house before the lease on their apartment was up. All that happens when you do this is that you forfeit your security deposit, which is usually one month's rent.

Happy hunting, y'all.

Omores - Thanks for that WONDERFULLY HELPFUL message! I hope that you won't mind me bothering you with more questions in the near future. :wink:

Has anyone else decided where they will be living next year??

Hey Original: Where did u decide to live for next year?

I'm still in limbo...but i have a few more days to decide :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by RicaMD2Be:
•Hey Original: Where did u decide to live for next year?

I'm still in limbo...but i have a few more days to decide :wink: •••••Avalon. I intend to sign a 13 month lease so I get the 1st month free. Though I recently started wondering whether a 13 month one was such a good idea afterall. I'll try to find out if I can break it (say with a couple months notice). If it turns out I can't, then I'll probably have to do a 6 month and forfeit that first month free rent.