Duke MBS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiv_vii

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to start a thread for fellow students who will be applying to Duke's MBS program for the 2023-2024 cohort. Good luck to everyone applying! I submitted for priority review and will provide any updates I receive. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I also applied for priority review. Counting down the days till decisions come out!

Reactions: 2 users
Also applied priority review. I saw though that the deadline for regular review was extended. What’s that all about?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also applied priority review. I saw though that the deadline for regular review was extended. What’s that all about?
I have no idea, I was wondering the same thing though...

Reactions: 1 user
I also applied for priority review. Anxious for Friday!

Reactions: 4 users
I also applied for the priority review!! I am so anxious but also excited to receive a response! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I also applied for priority review! Good luck to everyone today! :)

Good morning all,
I'm sad to say I didn't get accepted to the program. Wishing everyone else good luck today! 💙

anyone heard any acceptances yet? And do we get a phone call or email?

Got a call around 11 am (EST) with an acceptance! Good luck to everyone!!

I didn't apply for priority decision so I am still waiting to hear back, anyone who has heard back would you be willing to share your GPA and experiences so that I can get a feel for my chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply for priority decision so I am still waiting to hear back, anyone who has heard back would you be willing to share your GPA and experiences so that I can get a feel for my chances of getting in?
My overall GPA was around a 3.5 and my science GPA was a 3.3 (maybe even a bit lower than that). I spent a couple of years from ages 19-21 outside of the country in Chile (not as cool as it sounds - church mission trip) and learned Spanish there. I have a good amount of experience working as a CNA and medical assistant. I TA’d for a couple of classes. I was a volunteer Spanish tutor for entry level Spanish classes for about two years. President of a society on campus for a couple of semesters. I volunteered some as a medical interpreter for Spanish speakers. I have some research experience, but nothing too exciting. I attended a university that was not heavy on research at all. My research team and I were able to present our findings as a poster. I lead a support group for gay and bisexual guys that were seeking to reconcile their faith and sexuality while being in a pretty conservative environment. I also cofounded a nonprofit that provides financial assistance to LGBTQ+ individuals attending the college I graduated from.

I hope this is helps some! Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 2 users
To add to dste's response, my overall undergrad GPA was 3.27 and my undergrad science GPA was around the same I think. I have a masters degree in bioethics (GPA was 3.67) which is where most of my research experience is centered. I would say research was a large part of my application to this program. I have research experience in bioethics and qualitative public health. My most involved research experience allowed me to travel to a well-known conference where our research was being presented. I had a lot of great opportunities during that project that allowed me to be more involved in presenting at large team meetings and drafting our manuscript. I've been working as a full-time ED scribe for almost 1 year which is where I have gotten most of my clinical experience. For my extracurriculars, I had leadership positions in student government and other clubs throughout undergrad. I also had a few different volunteering experiences from undergrad. Please also send me a PM if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Building off of dtse and bioethicsb (congrats y'all btw!), my overall undergraduate GPA was around a 3.4 and my sGPA was around a 3.2. I have a considerable amount of clinical experience through working as a medical scribe in the Emergency Department as well as in urgent care and primary care settings. I held a leadership position for most of time working in the Emergency Department. I also worked in COVID-19 vaccine clinics when the vaccines first came out. I've spent time volunteering as a tutor at a local elementary school (pre-COVID), in the Child Life department at the local children’s hospital, and at the local food pantry. I have some research experience, but it wasn't anything major; I worked in an immunology lab for a semester.

If you've got any questions, feel free to reach out! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got accepted into the program, did you receive a scholarship offer in your acceptance email? I know the FAQ page said that our application to the program served as an application for the scholarships, but I wasn't sure when we get notified about that.

For those who got accepted into the program, did you receive a scholarship offer in your acceptance email? I know the FAQ page said that our application to the program served as an application for the scholarships, but I wasn't sure when we get notified about that.
I didn't get a scholarship offer in my acceptance email. I think that the scholarship information will come out when the financial aid information comes out, but I'm not entirely sure.

Has anyone from the Regular Review deadline received a decision yet?

Has anyone from the Regular Review deadline received a decision yet?
I haven't yet. Based on past years' forums it probably won't be until the deadline day on the application.

I haven't yet. Based on past years' forums it probably won't be until the deadline day on the application.
I heard back yesterday (3/22), unfortunately did not get accepted. Good luck to all the regular review folks!

Does anyone have an idea of how the waitlist works and what the chance of getting off it would be?

Has anyone from regular pathway recieve a decision yet? I haven’t heard anything yet