duke secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jot

i'm not sure if they screen, but i got an e-mail from dukemed about their supplemetal

http://www.dukemed.duke.edu

which is due in 2 weeks from the e-mail.

it also says that those below a 3.2 gpa should reconsider applying (absent of unusual circumstance)

yeah more essays.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't get the Duke secondary to work, either... clicking on the "Is this your first time visiting the site? Click here!" link has no obvious effect on the page.

Has anyone out there been able to access the secondary successfully?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any way you can chat with me on AIM jot, see if we can figure out why it works for you and not for me?

Got about 15 minutes before I have to do something useful here at work...

What do you mean the sequencer didn't work for my first plasmid!@#!@# That's the one I really needed@#$@#$ arrrgghhh.
:)

hey sorry i'm at work - damn firewall - no AIM here (that would be terrible, sdn is enough of a distractor)

here are the essay questions and oh man oh man:

(1000 Characters for each of the following)
1). Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

2). Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

3)3. Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

4)4. Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

5)just a list of employment

6)6. Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

now comes the essays!!!!
:eek: :eek:

(5000 character limit)
1) Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge?

2) The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

and then md/phd applicants have to submit another personal statment.

kill me. this is going to be fun. too bad the schools rocks so hard.
-jot

i just logged on. no troubles. you may want to exit the site after
you create your profile and then login fresh.
finney

Originally posted by jot

here are the essay questions and oh man oh man:

(1000 Characters for each of the following)
1). Please provide us information on the most important community service/volunteer activities in which you have been involved. Please indicate your role, the length of time that you were involved, and the number of hours/week, if applicable, that you participated. How has participation in these activities impacted your preparation for a career in medicine?

2). Among the service activities that you listed on your AMCAS application, in which activity did you feel that you truly made an impact on someone else? What was the impact on you?

3)3. Each student brings strengths and weaknesses to the medical school class. How might your own experiences or lack of experiences, strengths and/or weaknesses, advantages and/or disadvantages contribute to the makeup of next year's class? How have these impacted your personal development and how have they contributed to your preparation for a career in medicine?

4)4. Please provide a list of your honors and awards. Indicate the one(s) of which you are the most proud and why.

5)just a list of employment

6)6. Have you participated in or conducted investigative research? If so, please describe below. If you have published or are listed as an author on a publication or a manuscript in press, please provide the title, authors, and name of journal.

now comes the essays!!!!
:eek: :eek:

(5000 character limit)
1) Describe a difficult moral or ethical situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. What personal strengths, values, and beliefs helped you deal with this challenge?

2) The scientific and popular news media have heralded several "life-extending" and ?life-altering? technologies--among which are embryonic stem-cell research, cloning, genetic intervention, and organ transplantation. While such technologies represent remarkable developments and applications of our emerging scientific understanding, these technologies raise critical issues with respect to the ethics, morality and economics of these technologies. Identify some of the critical issues evoked by such technologies and address what potential moral, theological, and ethical questions might arise from the decisions made regarding developing and using these technologies in the care of patients.

and then md/phd applicants have to submit another personal statment.

kill me. this is going to be fun. too bad the schools rocks so hard.
-jot

this is, in my mind, just another example of why dook sucks. glad i'm not applying there!! :laugh:

why yes, i am a tar heel.:D

jot,
where do you see a two week deadline??
finney

My God! That's like the secondary from hell!!

oops... I see it. :(

hah - nothing like weeding out a couple thousand applicants with a daunting secondary. hoepfully that won't include me -- vandy's has already done me in. is it against some unstated rule to be applying to chapel hill duke at the same time? like cheering for the yankees and the mets or something :D

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not that you can't apply to both unc and duke at the same time. lots of people do it. there's actually a lot of interaction btw the 2 schools and hospitals. you don't need me to tell you that duke is a great school, although it does hurt me to admit it.

it's just very hard for any self-respecting tar heel (i.e., me) to go onto dook's campus without feeling...dirty. so i'm not applying there, and not just b/c i don't have the gpa to get in!!:laugh:

good luck to the rest of y'all with that secondary... it sucks!!

damn.

after looking at those essay questions, im abt to reconsider applying to duke next year...:eek:

good luck on tackling the beast to all of y'all...

Ok finally got in.

I'm sorry I did. This secondary is awful. The application asks questions about high school (I have a GED), has a bunch of ugly essays, wants a bunch of recommendations beyond just the committee composite letter. Ugh.

I'm gonna try my hardest to do well on this one, but I'm betting on a pre-interview rejection here.

haha, those duke dummies misspelled pertinent (ithink) on the welcome page...

i concur with jot. this is the secondary from hell. at least it will only last two weeks. after just finishing up pritzker's, hopefully i have the stamina for this one.

does anyone know if duke screens for their secondaries, or perhaps is the secondary itself a screen?

These two questions are almost asking the same thing...UGH

Duke sucks. I'm not sure I'm going to fill it out. First of all, I don't have time in the next 2 weeks because I'm taking the MCAT. Second of all, I haven't completed all my prereqs in the last 7 years which is one of their stupid requirements. I also think it sucks I have to fill in all my old test scores. Don't know if I can even find them it's been so long ago!

August MCAT-but still got the e-mail from Duke for the secondary.
(their web site says that they screen)

whats so great about Duke anyway?
Has anyone visited the schools. whats it like? I cant imagine NC can be THAT great....

Duke undergrad is beautiful. I wanted to go there but didn't get in :( I don't know what the med school is like. Durham doesn't seem all that great, but the weather's not too bad and I hear other nearby towns are pretty nice.

Originally posted by DarkChild
whats so great about Duke anyway?
Has anyone visited the schools. whats it like? I cant imagine NC can be THAT great....

their secondary sucks almost as much as their basketball team, but the school itself is awesome imho. They condense the first two years into one year of basic science, without compromising step 1 pass rates. You start rotations early and that leaves a year to just do whatever, get a masters in business/public health, research, international work, work on a JD, etc.
They have a ridiculous match list and have some of the best financial aid out of the top private schools.

Plus, if you like college towns, Duke is a pretty cool area, not so much for its self but all those UNC cuties down the road (Go Tar Heels!!!)

hmmmm.... maybe i'll throw on Duke.
by the way, what does this mean?
arma virumque cano......

i'm pretty sure duke screens! at least someone else told me that. so this is good news for us who got the email!

i heard they screen extensively too b/c of the particular 'difficulty' of the secondary.

I am not so sure they screen. Not with a statement like,
"As you begin the supplemental application process, it is important to know, that absent unusual circumstances, those applications with an overall (cumulative) GPA < 3.2 are not favorably reviewed. Please take this into consideration when deciding whether to proceed further with completion and submission of the Duke University School of Medicine Supplemental Application."

Anyone not receive the email?

you're right,
i just logged in, and the FAQ says this:
Q1007: When will my application be ready for screening by the Admissions Committee?

Once your supplemental application is complete and your recommendations have been received by the admissions committee your application will be advanced to the Admissions Committee for screening.

You may wish to contact your recommendors and ensure that they have sent your recommendations to Duke Medical School.

And I don't see where we only have 2 weeks to fill this out..

Q1006: What are the deadlines I should be aware of in applying for medical school?

Deadline for receiving AMCAS information: November 15, 2002
Deadline for receive supplemental completion: December 1, 2002
(Please note that the Personal Account System WILL NOT allow you to submit your application any time after 11:59 p.m. November 30, 2002. )

From the Duke E-mail:

"Please complete and submit the supplemental application within two weeks of this e-mail
notification. Your recommendations must be submitted to us by December 1, 2001 (note that
the application will not be processed until all letters of recommendation and application fees
have been received). This will facilitate the screening of your application for scheduling an
interview early in the process.

Thank you for your interest in the Duke University School of Medicine."

ah-- yes i should read more

It says Dec 2001-they should read (proof read) their e-mails a bit more carefully before sending it out.

got the Duke email too... and my AMCAS has "yet to be verified" still. So for all Duke knows I really didn't complete my bachelor's at Harvard in two semesters with a 4.0 with an MCAT of 45.

what was your high school rank? WTF?

And must I tell them my GRE scores? I guess I really shouldn't have blown them off and walked out of the test center only half way through the last part of the exam.

I don't friggin remember my GRE scores! Or my ACT. The only one I know for sure is my SAT.

Originally posted by DW

their secondary sucks almost as much as their basketball team,

Plus, if you like college towns, Duke is a pretty cool area, not so much for its self but all those UNC cuties down the road (Go Tar Heels!!!)

Awwww...DW you just made my day!:love: :love:

I'm not applying to dook, even though I live 3 miles from the school and my mom works there, for many reasons (not just b/c I'm a Carolina Girl). First off, my GPA isn't stellar enough to get me in. Secondly, I don't want to spend time in med school getting another degree. If I wanted an MPH/JD/MBA/more research experience, that's what I would be doing now. I just want to be a doctor.

Yes, the campus is beautiful (UNC's is better). Durham sucks (I live there. I can say that.), but Chapel Thrill (best college town in the world)is just a short drive away!

arma virumque cano......

For those of us Roman history/classic enthusiasts, this the very first line of Vergil's Aeneid. Cool little document to translate if you ever get bored.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea

Awwww...DW you just made my day!:love: :love:

Yes, the campus is beautiful (UNC's is better). Durham sucks (I live there. I can say that.), but Chapel Thrill (best college town in the world)is just a short drive away!

Woohoo, we've got a Carolina girl!!! I was born in PA but my parents are from NC and we have a lot of UNC alums in the family. As a result I grew up a huge Tar Heel basketball fan, and hate Duke more than anything consequently.

The kids are soooo arrogant, the campus is pretty but durham sucks big time, and the women (and i'm sure the guys too) are generally busted (well, certainly NOT UNC material). Chapel hill (with Athens, GA and Austin, TX nonwithstanding) might be the coolest college town ever.

DW, once again, you have made my day. :love: :love:

And you're right-- Athens and Austin are in the running for best college town status. Well, I've never actually been to Austin, but you have shown good judgement in your choice of college allegiances so I'll trust you on this one.

hah - after getting into college i had "the largest drop in highschool rank in the history of the school" - a bit more then senioritis - a freakin senior-oma. should be interesting how duke takes that.

hah - after getting into college i had "the largest drop in highschool rank in the history of the school" - a bit more then senioritis - a freakin senior-oma. should be interesting how duke takes that.

The kids are soooo arrogant, the campus is pretty but durham sucks big time, and the women (and i'm sure the guys too) are generally busted (well, certainly NOT UNC material). Chapel hill (with Athens, GA and Austin, TX nonwithstanding) might be the coolest college town ever.

Hmmm... i went to Duke... I dont think I'm arrogant or busted. And I dont think the people I knew at school were either.

And while I think Durham sucks hardcore, i don't think Chapel Hill is all that either.

somebody edumacate me as to why Durham sucks ball$...
is it big/small, rural/suburban...
is it at least a fun place to ride a motorcycle?
twisty roads... open spaces, no stoplights?:)

Originally posted by Bounty

Hmmm... i went to Duke... I dont think I'm arrogant or busted. And I dont think the people I knew at school were either.

And while I think Durham sucks hardcore, i don't think Chapel Hill is all that either.

i did say generally, didn't i? I'm sure there a few (emphasis on the FEW part) cool kids at Duke within the whole. but just like the ratio of duke NBA lottery picks that pan out versus the scrubs, the number is pretty darn low.

Originally posted by Bounty

I dont think I'm arrogant or busted.

Of course not. That's the arrogance talking! ;)

somebody edumacate me as to why Durham sucks ball$...
is it big/small, rural/suburban...
is it at least a fun place to ride a motorcycle?
twisty roads... open spaces, no stoplights?:)

Durham...
is sprawling... so it's urban/suburban. the urban area has a high crime rate, and i hear lots of interesting stories from my emt friends who work in the city.

NOT a good place to ride a motorcycle-- lots of congested traffic, lots of stoplights, lots of stupid pedestrians. durham county and duke forest have lots of really nice areas to ride a motorcycle-- if you don't mind glaring looks from people in overly-large houses and police in unmarked cars who give out tickets like candy.

Originally posted by Diogenes

Of course not. That's the arrogance talking! ;)

Hehe - as i was writing that, I knew someone would say I was arrogant for saying it. :D

Going from Los Angeles to Durham was a bit of a shock for me but Durham has its good points too. Cost of living is superlow which is excellent for struggling med students on loans, parking is not an issue, etc. The blueness of the sky and the clear nights always took my breath away. I would sometimes walk around the campus, staring up at the stars like an idiot because it was so pretty.
But now I am back in LA so I am getting used to the grayish haze again. :p

Bounty

hmmmm.... maybe i'll throw on Duke.
arma virumque cano......

"I sing of men and arms ..."
Virgil's 1st line of the Aeneid epic, referring to a group of Trojans at the end of the war fleeing Troy to eventually found a new land.

Originally posted by bludeviled

"I sing of men and arms ..."
Virgil's 1st line of the Aeneid epic, referring to a group of Trojans at the end of the war fleeing Troy to eventually found a new land.

tsk tsk tsk

"I sing of a MAN and arms...."

virum, accusative singular man. Look at me, I'm a LATIN grammar maven ;)

ooops, mea culpa
Good call DW -
AP latin teacher would be very dissapointed in me :laugh:

Holy sh1t
I just skimmed the rest of the forum -
What with all this Duke bashing?

Do you go here? - ummm No; so don't hate ...

(But please feel free to hate on Durham :D )

"Generally busted" and "scrubs"??? - exactly what is this based on? I'm curious - was it a careful examination of the freshman face book? was it a quick scan of campus between classes? was it an extrapolation based on the chicks you went to highschool with that ended up at Duke? or are those the only people that let you hang out with them when you came to visit?

please enlighten me