Duke University SOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bumpety bump :D

Members don't see this ad.

Any of y'all deciding between Duke and a more urban school? Also, does anyone have any concerns about the singles scene in Durham? I stayed with a student host, and he said that a significant portion of his class (MS-1) is seriously involved or married. I am not looking to hook up with a fellow med student, but his statement made me somewhat nervous anyway--perhaps because I would be alone in my aloneness. Although there are obviously numerous positives about Duke, I wanted to pose a few questions about potential Duke drawbacks. Your replies are appreciated.

DrDarwin said:
Any of y'all deciding between Duke and a more urban school? Also, does anyone have any concerns about the singles scene in Durham? I stayed with a student host, and he said that a significant portion of his class (MS-1) is seriously involved or married. I am not looking to hook up with a fellow med student, but his statement made me somewhat nervous anyway--perhaps because I would be alone in my aloneness. Although there are obviously numerous positives about Duke, I wanted to pose a few questions about potential Duke drawbacks. Your replies are appreciated.

Yeah, it's down to Duke and Emory. I'm off the market, so the single scene is not too much of a consideration for me. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I couldn't reason why Duke would have a higher percentage of married/involved than any other comparable school. Doesn't Duke have a smaller number of non-traditionals? Then, again, I have no basis for that.

Has anyone heard anything about the merit scholarships? I know the website anticipates the decisions to be made by tomorrow, but they don't guarantee it. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about Harvard, LR. I'd trade that for my UR rejection anyday :D

See you guys soon second lookers!

so it's really weird that i'm asking this here, but...

does anyone know what time dinner is for second look? i got a ticket and thing that said satisfaction. am i supposed to meet people there? i missed the morning stuff so i'm not sure what's going on.

thanks sdn. you're the best.

stanford05 said:
so it's really weird that i'm asking this here, but...

does anyone know what time dinner is for second look? i got a ticket and thing that said satisfaction. am i supposed to meet people there? i missed the morning stuff so i'm not sure what's going on.

thanks sdn. you're the best.

oops, sorry stanford05, hopefully you figured out where to go and at what time last night. :)

I'm wondering what everyone's impressions of Duke SOM are now that second look is over.

I'll start: of course I knew going in that the facilities, funding, curriculum, etc. are great. But the people, including my fellow second lookers ;), are amazing. The people I met really sold me on Duke; there is no question for me as to where I'll be attending in the fall.

I loved it :love: It was also nice meeting the potential entering class, especially LRmed ;)

Most definitely, there are some highly outstanding and quality people that will be at Duke this fall. Congrats to those who are decided, good luck to those still deciding, and all the best to those deciding elsewhere!

Peace

likewise, it was great meeting all you guys. sort of frustrating that they still haven't told people about scholarships. did anyone get an update? i'm not necessarily expecting one, but would just like to know where i stand so i can decide whether to go to other second looks, etc.

stanford05 said:
likewise, it was great meeting all you guys. sort of frustrating that they still haven't told people about scholarships. did anyone get an update? i'm not necessarily expecting one, but would just like to know where i stand so i can decide whether to go to other second looks, etc.

I talked to the finaid office today, and I was told my award letter was mailed last Friday. Has anyone received theirs yet? I'm praying for good news. :)

hey all

awesome meeting ya'll this past weekend..sooooooooooo excited now!!! where is everyone planning to live, etc? i liked the woodstone! well i am at work so let me get back to that..more later.. P.S. no word yet on scholarships from what i understand. P.P.S. several folks got financial aid letters at second look, unfortunately, i was not one of the blessed few. :confused:

also by the way, in the 2006 US News Rankings, Duke is the highest ranked private school for primary care... YAY!!! umm is anyone considering the Woodstone for housing option?

LRmed2003 said:
also by the way, in the 2006 US News Rankings, Duke is the highest ranked private school for primary care... YAY!!! umm is anyone considering the Woodstone for housing option?
Do I look like i'm made of money? :p I'm going with el rancho cheapo :laugh: Aka the last place we saw while a certain group of people stayed on the bus :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
NubianPrincess said:
Do I look like i'm made of money? :p I'm going with el rancho cheapo :laugh: Aka the last place we saw while a certain group of people stayed on the bus :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

lol..you're funny.. :laugh: how much did the lenox end up costing for a 2BR..or are u getting a single?

~L

LRmed2003 said:
lol..you're funny.. :laugh: how much did the lenox end up costing for a 2BR..or are u getting a single?

~L
They had several options for 1-3 BRs but all of their one bedrooms were b/w 505 and 610. Some were really nice (at least the floorplans ) and they all include a washer and dryer in unit for no extra charge :clap:

Even if I do defer, I plan on moving to Durham maybe next April or May :D I'm so excited!

NubianPrincess said:
They had several options for 1-3 BRs but all of their one bedrooms were b/w 505 and 610. Some were really nice (at least the floorplans ) and they all include a washer and dryer in unit for no extra charge :clap:

I know the Lenox is a popular option, but did they show you the "New Haven" community? It's owned by the same company that owns the Lenox, and the floorplans are identical, although there are some extra ones available too. I'm pretty sure the rent is cheaper, and many of us actually prefer the location. It's only about an 8 minute drive from Duke and it's all highway, which is VERY nice (and there's NO traffic!). My commute is actually shorter than it is for many people who live in closer communities like the Deerfield, because they get stuck at all the traffic lights around Duke. Plus, it's only 5-10 minutes to the airport and about 2 minutes from highway 40, which easily gets you to Chapel Hill or Raleigh. It's also only about 5 minutes from the best mall around.

If anyone's interested in learning more about places to live, feel free to PM me, or ask questions here. The floorplans of all these places can be found at www.ticonproperties.com. For my first two years at Duke I had my own huge, beautiful one bedroom apartment complete with free water and free washer/dryer, for only $535/month! Actually, I think they're running specials now where you get a free month of rent with a 1 year lease, so it would be even cheaper than that! It's definitely manageable to have a single apartment on the Duke financial aid budget, if anyone is wondering.

http://ticonproperties.com/newhaven.html

tommygun..what have you heard about the woodstone??? details, insights, etc ..please. :)

~L

LRmed2003 said:
tommygun..what have you heard about the woodstone??? details, insights, etc ..please. :)

~L

Actually, I've never even heard of it! Is this a relatively new place? I don't know of anyone in my class living there. Maybe it's been built in the past couple of years. Do you know who owns it, or is there a website or anything?

I just found the website (http://www.gardenviewrealty.com/woodstone/).

This place looks expensive! Given how close it is to Duke, I imagine this is a more expensive option than many others like the Lenox. Has anyone gotten quotes from them? Remember, Durham is rather cheap to live in, so don't fall into the trap of paying lots of money for an apartment just because it's close to Duke. Rental companies really jack up the prices of units that are in very close proximity to Duke, but you really don't have to venture that far away for the rates to drop substantially. For example, you should be able to find a rather new, large, beautiful 3 bedroom apartment for around $350-450 per person (like at the Lenox). Some other places that my classmates really love are Alexan Place and Alexan Farms, although these can be a bit pricey unless you get a larger unit and split the rent with roommates.

It looks like Woodstone is literally just down the street from the parking garage where you'll park as a 1st year, but I wouldn't say it's in all that great of a location...to get to Duke you'll have to cross over route 85 which is a humongous construction mess right now and has been for quite some time. Then again, it is VERY close, which can be nice.

Yeah, I knew for a fact when being quoted prices like 725 for a one BR that Durham did not have to be that expensive. That's why I'm LEAVING NYC :D I know i'll find a beautiful place to live cheaper. I probably will go with some place like ticon.

Tommy i'm sorry if I missed it before, but what year are you in? :love:

*edit*

I now have reason to believe I will definitely be attending Duke and so I have removed my pathetic post soliciting tenants for my townhome.

Does anyone know if you definitely get parking as a first year student? Also, where do most first year's park? Is it the parking deck off of trent road? Is that where most 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years park as well? Is parking free? Just trying to straighten that out so I can figure out my living situation next year. Thanks!

iunci said:
Does anyone know if you definitely get parking as a first year student? Also, where do most first year's park? Is it the parking deck off of trent road? Is that where most 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years park as well? Is parking free? Just trying to straighten that out so I can figure out my living situation next year. Thanks!

Parking is not free. It is included in the student budget and I believe it is about $120. Every med student is guaranteed parking, and I think they park in the deck close to the hospital. I want to tell you that they park in the basement but I may be wrong. In any case, parking for med student is not an issue at Duke - even if it is for most other types of students.

Has anyone else received their financial aid award?

I'm really confused. In the Messages part of the reward, it says, "Your financial aid award has been analyzed using 2 in college." And it goes on to say that Duke considers only dependents in undergraduate programs.

Where did they get this number from? On Fafsa, it asks for the number in college without specifying what college means, so I put 1 (me). On the Need Access, it asks for the number in undergrad plus grad/professional schools, so I put 2 (because I have another sister in med school). So, where did Duke get 2 in undergrad from? If they make me verify it, will I have to put 0?

Duke, I need that grant money. Please let me keep it. :confused:

NubianPrincess said:
Tommy i'm sorry if I missed it before, but what year are you in?

3rd year

GuyLaroche said:
Parking is not free. It is included in the student budget and I believe it is about $120. Every med student is guaranteed parking, and I think they park in the deck close to the hospital. I want to tell you that they park in the basement but I may be wrong. In any case, parking for med student is not an issue at Duke - even if it is for most other types of students.

Guy is right that parking is included in the budget, and is somewhere in the low to mid $100 range for the first year. To make things absolutely clear, this means you must write the parking office a check for the parking pass, but the amount of money it costs is accounted for in your student loans or your grant money or whatever. It's garaged parking, in PG3, which is the farther of the two garages across from the main hospital (it's the garage right next to the highway). It's a really nice, safe, well-lit garage...it's about the nicest garage design I've seen actually. Given the location, it ends up being about a 5-10 minute walk from the garage to Duke South where the amphitheatre is, or you can just take the shuttle bus that runs every few minutes. I always walked as it was about the only exercise I got first year :laugh:

Parking isn't a problem for Duke med students. The parking is substantially better for 2nd year too...that's when you get to park in the garage that's literally across the street from the hospital, and if it's cold you can even walk to the med center through the underground tunnel! For 3rd and 4th years you end up back in PG3 for the most part.

soooo for all those interested, the following is currently posted on the DukeMed login page:

"As of Thursday, April 7, 2005, the Executive Admission Committee is in the final stages of evaluating accepted students for merit scholarship consideration. Decisions will be forthcoming shortly and awardees will be notified via Federal Express."

Sooo...be on the look out and post if you hear anything..ummm.. i am off to banff, canada for an HIV pathogenesis conference tomorrow and will be gone a week..keep the thread alive kids..keep hope alive!~!~!~! :laugh:

guylaroche, how was vandy's second look? and do you know where you're gonna be living in the Bull City? ;)

TommyGunn04 said:
I just found the website (http://www.gardenviewrealty.com/woodstone/).

This place looks expensive! Given how close it is to Duke, I imagine this is a more expensive option than many others like the Lenox. Has anyone gotten quotes from them? Remember, Durham is rather cheap to live in, so don't fall into the trap of paying lots of money for an apartment just because it's close to Duke. Rental companies really jack up the prices of units that are in very close proximity to Duke, but you really don't have to venture that far away for the rates to drop substantially. For example, you should be able to find a rather new, large, beautiful 3 bedroom apartment for around $350-450 per person (like at the Lenox). Some other places that my classmates really love are Alexan Place and Alexan Farms, although these can be a bit pricey unless you get a larger unit and split the rent with roommates.

It looks like Woodstone is literally just down the street from the parking garage where you'll park as a 1st year, but I wouldn't say it's in all that great of a location...to get to Duke you'll have to cross over route 85 which is a humongous construction mess right now and has been for quite some time. Then again, it is VERY close, which can be nice.

woodstone is $990 for a 2 BR..it's not TOO bad..but it's definitely not a bargain like lenox or croasdaile crossings..still...you get what you pay for and it does have a huge kitchen, deck, WIC (in both BR), and 9 foot ceilings ;) hmmm decisions decisions

MERIT SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS

Merit Scholarship recipients have been selected and awardees have been contacted. As in years past, we will select alternate awardees if a recipient declines our offer but be advised that a scholarship holder may hold her/his award until May 15th. If there is no response after that date, an award will be offered to another deserving prospective student.

This from the the login page.. guess this means I didn't get one - did anyone actually receive the FedEx package?

ditto..

i just saw this as well.. but i think that means they sent the FEDEX yesterday so folks should know today...unfortunately...i'm in canada and won't know anything til friday night!!! :oops: good luck all! :luck:

~L

I received today my letter informing me of my scholarship. I knew today that I will definitely be attending Duke. I am today happy.

I'm going to be attending Duke SOM next year...and I'm looking for a a place to live and a roommate or roommates...Unfortunately I missed 2nd look weekend, so I didn't really get to meet that many people yet...

I live in chapel hill right now, so it's easy for me to drive around and shop for a place if you live out of state or far away. Anyway, if anybody is still looking for another roomy, hook me up. Just PM me. Thanks, and can't wait to see you all next year!!

Still no word for anyone regarding merit scholarships? I'm pretty sure I didn't get one (didn't get a FedEx package this week) but surely someone on here has found out something. No?

clayito said:
Still no word for anyone regarding merit scholarships? I'm pretty sure I didn't get one (didn't get a FedEx package this week) but surely someone on here has found out something. No?

It sounds like John_Galiano got one...look 3 posts up from here.

TommyGunn04 said:
It sounds like John_Galiano got one...look 3 posts up from here.

Yeah, I saw that one, but I was assuming it wasn't for real because it was John_Galiano's first ever post and just sounded fake. But, I could be totally wrong :oops:

clayito said:
Yeah, I saw that one, but I was assuming it wasn't for real because it was John_Galiano's first ever post and just sounded fake. But, I could be totally wrong :oops:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering about that! It sounded fake to me too! :laugh:

"I am today happy" <-- sounds like a badly dubbed foreign movie :laugh:

they are definitely out.. a girl at hopkins second look last weekend said she had just been notified that she got one...

~L

CLEARLY I'm biased....BUT I am enjoying Duke med more and more every day and every lecture! The way I see it...it will probably be the most rigorous academic experience you will have faced to date (any medical school you go to, that is), so why make it last longer than it Could?!?!?! From day 1, test 1, and stressful time 1 there was ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel for me.....July 2nd 2005!!! The end of classroom work and hours of lectures were always within reach since the 1st day of classes.
I know I have talked a lot about the people, but I will gush at least one more time... they are great!
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do you want to learn the material for the sake of learning, for the sake that you NEED it, for the sake of making you a better doctor some day? There are PLENTY of us like this (maybe average students now but will be tremendous physicians in the future!!!)
Do you want competition? does it make you work harder? then you'll find it, too!!!!
Do you want to work hard during the week and have fun weekends? You can do it!
Do you want to enjoy the times you have with your classmates in and out of school and not gun 24-7? You will find the laid back people!
Married, single, stressed-out, goofy, dorky, good-looking, good personality, mind in the gutter, conservative, liberal, helpful, gunner, on and on....they are ALL in my class and I wouldn't trade any of them in...well of course a few trades wouldn't be too bad....
And you can't forget that Duke is getting THE BEST recruiting class in America to play on Coach K Court next year, and the ticket campout is WAAAAAAAY too much fun to miss out on!!!!
Good luck in your decisions....you can't go wrong if you choose the place that you love and feels "right"!!!!!
Any questions..send me a PM.
I'm living MY dream and I hope you guys get to live yours, too!

DukeDoc08 said:
CLEARLY I'm biased....BUT I am enjoying Duke med more and more every day and every lecture! The way I see it...it will probably be the most rigorous academic experience you will have faced to date (any medical school you go to, that is), so why make it last longer than it Could?!?!?! From day 1, test 1, and stressful time 1 there was ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel for me.....July 2nd 2005!!! The end of classroom work and hours of lectures were always within reach since the 1st day of classes.
I know I have talked a lot about the people, but I will gush at least one more time... they are great!
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Do you want to learn the material for the sake of learning, for the sake that you NEED it, for the sake of making you a better doctor some day? There are PLENTY of us like this (maybe average students now but will be tremendous physicians in the future!!!)
Do you want competition? does it make you work harder? then you'll find it, too!!!!
Do you want to work hard during the week and have fun weekends? You can do it!
Do you want to enjoy the times you have with your classmates in and out of school and not gun 24-7? You will find the laid back people!
Married, single, stressed-out, goofy, dorky, good-looking, good personality, mind in the gutter, conservative, liberal, helpful, gunner, on and on....they are ALL in my class and I wouldn't trade any of them in...well of course a few trades wouldn't be too bad....
And you can't forget that Duke is getting THE BEST recruiting class in America to play on Coach K Court next year, and the ticket campout is WAAAAAAAY too much fun to miss out on!!!!
Good luck in your decisions....you can't go wrong if you choose the place that you love and feels "right"!!!!!
Any questions..send me a PM.
I'm living MY dream and I hope you guys get to live yours, too!

Thanks for your post! Just when I think I can't get any more excited about Duke, I talk to a current student or read a post like yours about their experiences at Duke and it gets me all the more excited about starting in the fall (or actually mid-summer ;) ). The great people (students and faculty) I have met at Duke SOM are definitely the school's greatest asset, but the prospect of watching a few basketball games in Cameron doesn't hurt things either :D . The ticket campout sounds like a blast, but I have heard it comes just before block I finals. Is that true? Not that it would matter for me, I will probably campout anyway. Ok, enough of my Sunday morning rambling (what am I doing on SDN at 8:20 on a Sunday morn.?)

Does anyone know what sort of grading system duke employs? Is it pass/fail/honors...and does it change year to year?

iunci said:
Does anyone know what sort of grading system duke employs? Is it pass/fail/honors...and does it change year to year?

Here's an outline of the curriculum http://medschool.duke.edu/curricDesc.htm (click on the "calendar" link for a nice graphical representation of it).

The curriculum has changed recently, although anyone who interviewed this season should have been shown this info. There are now three main "blocks" in the first year. The entire first block (about 6.5 weeks) is pass/fail...there's no honors! The other two first-year blocks are honors/pass/fail, where honors is rather strictly limited to a small handful of people (10-15 maybe?). Coupled with the fact that most residency programs don't care about first-year grades anyway, this makes for a very non-competitive, self-pacing year, where motivation stems from a desire to be a good physician who can best help his/her patients. I really enjoyed this attitude and atmosphere for my first year. Of course there were always a few crazy gunners who couldn't help obsessing about their performance, but most of us maintained our sanity :laugh:

The grading during second year is a bit different. It's an honors/high pass/pass/low pass/fail system. Note that not all of these designations even show up on your transcript; for example, if you get a "low pass" it still shows up as a "pass" on your transcript. Apparently the transcript reporting was recently changed though, such that a "high pass" now shows up as such (during my 2nd year the external transcript would only show honors, pass, or fail, NOT high pass). So these different breakdowns between high and low pass are more so for internal purposes, for the writing of deans letters for your residency application, the choosing of AOA, etc. etc.

Each rotation is a bit different in terms of its grading policies. For example, on surgery only a handful of students get honors each year (maybe only one or two per rotation group of 15-20). I believe the medicine rotation has now gone this way as well, making honors much more difficult to get. The grading is based on clinical performance, evals from residents and attendings, and usually also on some sort of written exam (often the National Board's "shelf exams") and often an oral exam as well, or perhaps even a project (as in the case of family medicine). And now you're able to do elective rotations during the second year!!! I think this is a HUGE advantage.

Once you get to third year the system goes back to honors/pass/fail, and there really isn't much that you get graded on anyway. You get a grade each semester from your research mentor, and you get a pass/fail grade for your practice course continuity clinic (which is generally one half-day per week). You also get a grade for your thesis, which is H/P/F as well.

I'm pretty sure that during fourth year the grading goes back to the 2nd year style, of H/HP/P/LP/F.

I can only speak to my 1st year experience thus far but Honors/ Pass/ Fail system really helps keep the environment relaxed and brotherly. This was the 1st year of the new curriculum and in some ways it was evident. Block I was smooth, Block II was less smooth (things did not seem as integrated as what they were hoping for, BUT it's pretty tough to integrate the different subjects without going to a complete systems based learning) and Block III thus far has been hairy at times. Our biggest complaint (and I'm sure the course directors, too) is that you have so many lecturers that when it comes time to make a test nothing is set until almost the last minute. Is it going to be all multiple choice? or some of every style? on the computer or on paper or both? and each professor is after different levels of information they want you to know (drug name? mechanism of action? generic name? every drug available or just one per disease? drug metabolism in general or specific enzymes and mechanisms?....you can tell we are into a heavy pharmacology section now) however, this block is much more integrated than the last block!
Clearly there will be some bugs in any new system and I am VERY impressed that there have been so few after soo many years of the running the same system in the same way!
For us...and it may change of course....Blocks I and II the grade equaled the honors/ pass/ or fail (90% average)....Block II we had different subjects (I think 4) and you had to get 90% in each subject and an 85% in one to get honors (I think about 15 people got honors but that is just a guess) this included Gross Anatomy and microanatomy as classes even though they were more lab than class and neuro (which had a major lab component) was just 1 grade
Block III is slightly different. They average all of the lecture exams and then there are some small group activities, papers and laboratory exams that you get grades for and depending on how many Honors you get in the lab/ small group sections determines what average (90, 88?, 85) you need to average on the lecture exams to get honors or pass.....
BUT this could ALL change by the time you guys get here, BUT time and time again I have been told that 1st year grades matter very little (especially now that for ALLLLLLL of your 1st year "classes" you have and ALLLLL of the tests you take, your 1st year transcript has 3 grades with only 2 potential honors) and that your 2nd year grades are the make or break ones!!!
I am now interested to feel/see/experience the environment during 2nd year on rotations given the importance of our rotation grades!!!!

PS: The ticket campout was not right before an exam...I think the test was the Monday a week after the campout.....but it was during Block I (I think) (cough cough Pass/ Fail) so 99% of us would have been there anyway!!! The campout dates are already set for Sept 23-25, so you will know of class 1 how badly it will interfere with studying

Ok.....I took Friday and Saturday off......it is time for me to hustle! Write to you guys later

:( :( depressed cuz i don't think i can afford to go to duke.. didn't get a scholarship and they are going to make me take out all loans after they see what my dad makes..who doesn't live with us and walked out in '99 and hasn't contributed since..but duke fin. aid doesn't care and is still going to consider his income toward the EFC...i am very sad and disappointed and frustrated and trying not to be pissed off... :confused: :( :mad:

LRmed2003 said:
:( :( depressed cuz i don't think i can afford to go to duke.. didn't get a scholarship and they are going to make me take out all loans after they see what my dad makes..who doesn't live with us and walked out in '99 and hasn't contributed since..but duke fin. aid doesn't care and is still going to consider his income toward the EFC...i am very sad and disappointed and frustrated and trying not to be pissed off... :confused: :( :mad:

LRmed, I'm so very sorry to hear about your bad news :( I'm certain it must be so disheartening to get into the school of your dreams, and then have financial matters possibly stop you from going to school there. Would it be really so bad to take out loans? Graduate schools, in general, aren't even as comparably liberal as undergraduate colleges with awarding scholarships. Is there any possibility of contacting Duke's Office of Financial Aid and explaining your dilemma?

Please know that I'll keep your situation in my prayers tonight. :)

:oops: hey docjolly

yeah i am calling all around tomorrow AM to see what can be done..thanks so much for the prayers..i'm praying on it too.. :oops:

LRmed2003 said:
:oops: hey docjolly

yeah i am calling all around tomorrow AM to see what can be done..thanks so much for the prayers..i'm praying on it too.. :oops:

:)

Thank you, LR :love: . I still haven't heard anything, but God is able.That's the only thing that matters...

I know that things will work out for you. He hasn't brought you this far to leave you stranded. Always remember that :D

LR Med....please call and explain the most sincere way possible....I'm not sure if you have gotten your package yet but they may surprise you...
if they downright disappointed you the call and plead your case...they are very nice and it might just be a matter of somehow getting a letter from your Mom or relative or something
the worst thing that could happen is they say "I'm sorry" and you hate Duke for the rest of your life (with good reason!) the best thing is that things work out.....they have a crap load of money (excuse the expression) and it is for people who are not cutting a check for the full amount and for students who didn't get a 45 and 4.0 and single-handedly saved a tribe from Ebola!!! Try and try again! Talk to anyone and everyone who will listen
DON'T forget the power of prayer!
hang in there...keep us informed even if it's PM

duke doc and everyone..thanks so much for your kind words and support.. i am calling tomorrow afternoon to see what can be done.. i am still soooo excited and can't wait...i'm nervous about missing out on good housing, i.e. putting down a deposit or application or something if i wait too long so...i really just need to pray and breathe, etc, etc.. thanks again all. :D

Just wanted to say again that I'm still on the hunt for a roommate or roommates...PM me if you might want to find a place together (I didn't make second look so I really don't know many people yet...)

Also, for you guys who are already in school...what are the most popular spots that med students live? I've heard a lot about Lenox...seems pretty reasonably priced...but what are some other popular options? What about those new apartments they just built on Erwin drive (I think it's called Erwin Terrace?) Anyone staying there? They look really expensive though...