Duke University SOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hmmm..

i'm leaning more toward woodstone myself...but i too need a roommate..

~L

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP BUMP//gee.. Duke is kinda really low key on SDN huh?

~L

LRmed2003 said:
BUMP BUMP//gee.. Duke is kinda really low key on SDN huh?

~L

I think this might be a good thing :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Dukes ranking system render LOIs useless? There was a note in my waitlist letter stating that I could indicate Duke as my #1 choice on the response form, but I did not do so because I had yet to hear from several other schools and I was not sure how to 'rank' them at the time. I am considering writing an LOI to Duke now, but am unsure if it would prove even the slightest bit useful. And I obviously want to write only one. Does anyone have any insight, aside from the fact that Duke's admissions process is very, very cryptic? I will probably go ahead and write an LOI regardless, but responses are nonetheless appreciated. Thanks.

I would write it - can't hurt, right?

I'm almost positive I will be at Duke in the fall. I'm so excited for it - it's a great school. I put myself on the waitlist for Lenox...it seems really affordable and I like the idea of living in a two story condo (it reduces the risk of obnoxious college drum majors living above me). I also want to be somewhere that lots of first years live too, because I'm going to be living with a non-med student.

If you went to 2nd look then you probably already have this info, but for others this is a list of the most common places that 1st years are living this year:
Lenox West
Croasdaile Crossings
North Pointe Commons
Deerfield

I think other popular places change slightly from year to year, but I believe these are the ones that have consistently been popular.
There are some nice new places (lofts and apartments) in old tobacco factories downtown and above stores downtown and near Duke but these places are REALLY expensive and unless you like to stay at home a lot or have a spouse/significant other that will be paying the bills.....they are not worth it (in my humble opinion of course).
I know that some 1st years are buying houses to live in and rent the rest of the rooms out, so if you have contacts (hosts or friends) then contact them.....I am not sure what people's plans are so I don't feel comfortable giving out contact info (the houses may be full...they may be waiting for some 3rd years to come back to Duke) regardless....we have a massive test on Monday and an influx of emails right now might make people....testy!

hey dukedoc,,

have you heard anything about the woodstone? it seemed kinda nice and though it was a bit pricier than croasdaile...i really like the spaciousness...hmm..

~L ;)

Hey guys, I'm not totally decided on Duke, but I'm definitely leaning that way. I'm thinking about buying a house close to Duke and renting out the rooms (at a rate that's similar to apartment rates). Anyone interested?

not my personally, but others may be.. i know at least 2 other people who plan on buying houses though..

~L

P.S. Anyone know how we can find roommates if we already know what complex we want to live in? I tried the Duke community housing, but they don't list by complex, only by type of housing and i am not sure of the exact address of the complex i liked.

hey guys,

since you are all awesome enough to have been accepted to duke, i have a question:

i'm about to start the application process, and duke is one of my top choices for med, for multiple reasons. i have a good gpa (~3.9), don't know what i made on the MCAT. but is there precedent for people getting in to duke with scores in the 30-31 range?

i think i'm a pretty well-rounded candidate, but i'm just waiting to hear about the mcat, and wanted to assess my chances, should something bad happen with the exam.

thanks!

LRmed2003 said:
not my personally, but others may be.. i know at least 2 other people who plan on buying houses though..

~L

P.S. Anyone know how we can find roommates if we already know what complex we want to live in? I tried the Duke community housing, but they don't list by complex, only by type of housing and i am not sure of the exact address of the complex i liked.

how would i go about finding a roommate? craigslist, roommates.com, etc comments/suggestions/experiences???

LRmed2003 said:
how would i go about finding a roommate? craigslist, roommates.com, etc comments/suggestions/experiences???

There used to be an online forum for Duke Med, to post roommate requests, etc. I can't seem to find it now though. There's a link to a Duke-wide list on the Med Student webpage (http://www.duke.edu/web/medstudent/). Click the housing link and it's towards the bottom there.

hey tommy gun and also dukedoc

checked out the dukemed site but i can't figure out how to find someone interested in living in the same place as me...

question on the computer. do i absolutely have to buy the dell laptop? i am really interested in getting a smaller dell or a apple powerbook?

~L

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on everyone who got into Duke! To the posters who are looking for a place to find apartments and roommates: subscribe to the International House mailing list. Send an email to [email protected] with "subscribe intlhouse" (without the quotes) in the message body and get ready for a massive torrent of emails offering apartments, cars, cheap furniture, and roommates. The International House is an organization for international students, who by nature are frequently arriving in or departing from the country and need to acquire/get rid of housing and possessions in a hurry. Their email list is basically a 24/7 swap meet (you're going to want to unsubscribe as soon as you have everything you need; just send an email to [email protected] with "unsubscribe intlhouse" in the message body). I wish I had found out about it earlier during my undergrad years at Duke!

hey thanks for the heads up on that!!! :D

LRMed...
I'm sure TommyGunn will say something similar but the computer question changes every year. It seems like every other year they require the computer and every other year you can get your own computer. There are a lot of benefits to having the "school computer" because any little issue can resolved by just walking down the hall and you can get a loaner in a heartbeat!! I'm sure there there better computers, smaller, lighter, cooler, whatever, but the Dell they "gave" us has not let me down yet. Another convenient thing is that everything is completely set up when they give it to you...all of the extra software has been added and all of the personal settings and registration has been set up when they hand it to you....and this aspect DEFINITELY helps you get through the not-so-interesting lectures of orientation!
I wanted a thinkpad but I haven't thought twice about the fact that I'm using a dell.
at some point it won't be your decision...they will decide whether or not there will be a class computer and then you will have your answer.
I'm sure you could NOT get it, but I wouldn't recommend it at that point.

I must sleep now.....this is the HARDEST I've pushed myself in my entire life the last 10 days (averaged less than 3 hours of sleep a night)....and now the test is over (hard to say how it went....."not good" come to mind though) and now I am going to sleep for DAYYYYYYSSSSS! It is not always like this and I'm sure it's like this at all schools.

i'm sure you earned it DukeDoc.. sleep tight!!! :D

LRmed2003 said:
i'm sure you earned it DukeDoc.. sleep tight!!! :D
OK, the website that TommmyGunn was writing about I believe will be up and running pretty soon. The 1st years got an email about requesting one of us to be in charge of the website. Apparently it is a website where incoming students can interact and find out where to live and who to live with and who needs a roommate and so on.
I am not sure when it will be complete but I'm sure you will all get an email about it when it is ready to role!
So, do not fret about things now! it sounds like you will have a perfect opportunity to figure out roomies.
There should not be too much concern about who you live with....many people ended up with roomies that they will NOT be living with next year, but they didn't have major complaints or drama this year....
we are at the stage in our lives where you do your own thing and have your own space but share the kitchen and maybe the bathroom.....what I'm trying to say is that even the worst case scenario this year was not very bad....no on had to move out of a place bc they hated it so much is what I mean.
no rest for the weary...lab and clinic until 5

how possible would it be to go to duke without owning a car? i am resourceful when it comes to taking public transit, willing to pay more to live in a strategic location, and happily walk longish distances regularly.

hmm beep..

can't offer advice on that one.. i currently live in Boston and don't have a car and was also quite an active pedestrian/public transportation maven when I lived in atlanta.. however, upon my move to Durham, i plan to get a car..but since almost everyone else will have a car...i'm sure you'll have no trouble bumming rides on rainy days and also to events...other than that..happy walking my friend :oops: !!

quick question folks..i haven't sent my deposit in to Duke yet...how much was it again?

~L

$100. Sorry guys, this is my first post on SDN! I'm going to Duke as well!

LRmed2003 said:
hmm beep..

can't offer advice on that one.. i currently live in Boston and don't have a car and was also quite an active pedestrian/public transportation maven when I lived in atlanta.. however, upon my move to Durham, i plan to get a car..but since almost everyone else will have a car...i'm sure you'll have no trouble bumming rides on rainy days and also to events...other than that..happy walking my friend :oops: !!

quick question folks..i haven't sent my deposit in to Duke yet...how much was it again?

~L

DukeDoc08 said:
OK, the website that TommmyGunn was writing about I believe will be up and running pretty soon.

awesome, that makes finding a roommate a lot easier. thanks for the heads up.

flier said:
$100. Sorry guys, this is my first post on SDN! I'm going to Duke as well!

Welcome flier!

I don't know if any of you are NC residents but does anyone know when the NC Board of Governors Scholarships will be announced?

beep said:
how possible would it be to go to duke without owning a car? i am resourceful when it comes to taking public transit, willing to pay more to live in a strategic location, and happily walk longish distances regularly.

Although it's possible to live close to campus at the Belmont for example, you definitely need a car!! Just think about those times when you'll be leaving the hospital second year during your rotations at midnight...wouldn't recommend walking home then.

Some classmates of mine didn't have a car first year, and lived a walkable distance from campus, or biked to campus for class. This changes considerably during the clinical years...they all got their licenses (if they came from NYC or other big cities with real public transport) and cars towards the end of first year.

clayito said:
Welcome flier!

I don't know if any of you are NC residents but does anyone know when the NC Board of Governors Scholarships will be announced?

Hey. I'm not going to Duke, but I'm from NC. I was told at UNC that the Board of Governor's info should be out around the third week in May.

muchlove said:
Hey. I'm not going to Duke, but I'm from NC. I was told at UNC that the Board of Governor's info should be out around the third week in May.

hey muchlove,

long time no see on here.. how's life treating you? I'ma need for duke to show
some love to the non-NC residents cuz uhhhhh..i'm broke!!! lol ..how's life for everyone out there?

~L

LRmed2003 said:
hey muchlove,

long time no see on here.. how's life treating you? I'ma need for duke to show
some love to the non-NC residents cuz uhhhhh..i'm broke!!! lol ..how's life for everyone out there?

~L

Hey there! Yeah, I've been a lil MIA. Word is that Duke shows all the love for fin aid in NC. See, that's why being for the stixs is good every now and then :laugh: What's going on up in Red Sox country?

yay!!! i think i found a roommate...now if only i could hear good things from the fin. aid office..i'd be all set as a blue devil!!! the folks in that office have been kina nasty to me though?!? oh well.. headed to durham in july...know that!!! :D

NubianPrincess said:
I have not registered yet, but I will most likely be there. Anyone else?

Congratulations to my sista, my queen doctor to be (ok not like that cuz I do not know you :D ).

Much congrats!!!

LRmed2003 said:
also by the way, in the 2006 US News Rankings, Duke is the highest ranked private school for primary care... YAY!!! umm is anyone considering the Woodstone for housing option?

Congratulations my sista!!!!! Good luck with your first year.

Have some fun this summer b/c when classes start, your fun will be good old books and lectures 24/7

'preciate it... lol..umm..why am i dominating this thread? can we tell that the level of job satisfaction has diminished significantly??? good morning blue devils!!! ;)

Does anyone know why the total budget for M1 has gone up so significantly? I seem to remember that last year's budget was ~$53,000 and now it is up to ~$63,000... over four years we're talking about a quarter of a million dollars...this seems quite ludicrous and ridiculous....comments?? answers??? suggestions?? :confused:

LRmed2003 said:
Does anyone know why the total budget for M1 has gone up so significantly? I seem to remember that last year's budget was ~$53,000 and now it is up to ~$63,000... over four years we're talking about a quarter of a million dollars...this seems quite ludicrous and ridiculous....comments?? answers??? suggestions?? :confused:

I think I know why. The financial aid folks did some surveying this year and found that enough students felt really stretched on last year's budget to warrant an increase in the "cost of living" allotment. Another factor is the increase in health insurance costs for Duke students; this isn't an issue if you have your own insurance or are on your parents plan (which you often CAN be until you're 24 or so). Finally, Duke's tuition in general has gone up quite a bit recently. I recently read that the undergrad tuition just broke the $40k mark for the first time, and that the highest percentage increase was in the graduate and professional schools. Sad, but true :(

Lots more loans for me...

finally got my package..i think it's pretty good, but it still looks like i'ma be in a LOT of debt when i come out.. if my loans don't go down, i will be way over the $90K average debt that Duke boasts about.. :( next question, does duke have work study? i meant to call and ask about this today, but i forgot. i was awarded 2 semesters of workstudy at baylor and i was just wondering if i could push for it at duke.. it's only $1000 but it would still reduce my loan amount...

You seriously don't want work study, you won't have time. I have not heard of anyone doing such a thing, I really don't even think it exists.

If money is that big of an issue, you would probably be better off getting a job with Kaplan or the Princeton Review teaching a MCAT class.

Remember, in the grand scheme of things, $1000 isn't that much and you will thank yourself later for not adding any more unnecessary stress.

Also, there is no reason you need to take out all the loan money. If you get a reasonably priced apartment with a roommate and don't eat out every meal, you'll be fine. I took out a couple thousand less than recommended this year, and I still have almost $3000 remaining to last me the remaining 2 months of first year (granted I am still covered under my parents medical insurance and car insurance as many other first years are as well).

If you choose an expensive apartment complex, live alone, and have to buy your own insurance, that's another story. Think about your personal situation closely before taking all the money because not everyone needs that much.

I was one of the people who filled out the financial aid survey and it helped push the "living expenses" part up a little bit (but not that much!)
people in my class did feel a little tight but I'm sure everyone can pinch pennies better than what they do.
When financial aid sent us the email letting us know about the increase they told us to really consider how much we need and only take the bare minimum.....it is easier to ask for money IF you run out vs paying interest over the next 10 years on money you didn't need in the 1st place.
Some people in my class tought Kaplan from some extra moola....but I would say 95% didn't do jack other than eat, sleep, study, watch TV, and procrastinate!
Whoever said enjoy the summer now before classes could not be more correct!!! It will hit you like a ton of bricks and it will fly by faster than you could EVER imagine (except the 2 days before each exam!)
We are getting our schedules for 2nd year (rotations) and it is AWESOME to think that we will be OUT of the classroom in only about 9 weeks!
I love you Duke (except the tests)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

secretmiss said:
You seriously don't want work study, you won't have time. I have not heard of anyone doing such a thing, I really don't even think it exists.

If money is that big of an issue, you would probably be better off getting a job with Kaplan or the Princeton Review teaching a MCAT class.

Remember, in the grand scheme of things, $1000 isn't that much and you will thank yourself later for not adding any more unnecessary stress.

Also, there is no reason you need to take out all the loan money. If you get a reasonably priced apartment with a roommate and don't eat out every meal, you'll be fine. I took out a couple thousand less than recommended this year, and I still have almost $3000 remaining to last me the remaining 2 months of first year (granted I am still covered under my parents medical insurance and car insurance as many other first years are as well).

If you choose an expensive apartment complex, live alone, and have to buy your own insurance, that's another story. Think about your personal situation closely before taking all the money because not everyone needs that much.

hey secretmiss..

i am not living in a place that is too expensive, but i will end up having to get health insurance and car insurance...how did you figure out how much you could decline on your loans? You're probably right about the work study thing, but as it stands, i'll be $140K in debt when I come out of Duke, which is WAY above debt for both private and public medical schools!! i have to call this afternoon to clarify some stuff anyway, but this is ludicrous! :(

here are some very simple ways to save money at Duke Med.

#1 - Don't buy an unnecessary textbooks, there just isn't that much time to read them. And when you need to buy something, buy it used from an upperclassmen, who are always trying to sell their stuff.
#2 - Don't buy an opthalamoscope, its goes for over $300 and you really don't need your own.

For first year, Duke allots $2,554 for books and supplies, but its way more than most people needed. If I even spent $1000 I would be surprised.

#3 - bring your own lunch to school, if and when you go to class.
~ $5 a day for lunch * 5 days a week * 4 weeks per month * 11 months = ~ $1100 a year for lunch. You can really save on your food budget if you are not eating like this.

Also in general, as a female, I do not spend that much money on food ( I estimated how much I would spend on food per month when I budgeted my financial aid last year and that was part of the reason why I took out less money to start with). They estimate $4,812 on food for your budget next year, for a single person that is over $400/month. I couldn't eat that much food if I tried.

#4 - They estimate $9060 a year for rent (only) which comes out to $755 per month. The only people I know who spend that much money on rent live by themselves. I spent almost half that in rent by living with another person. Even if you add in utilities, cable, internet, etc., I still spend significantly less than that amount and have a really nice apartment. And some guys live in 3 bedroom Lenox apartments where the rent is ~$300 a month.

#5 - They estimate $6,168 for miscellaneous. That's alot of money with no real purpose. Granted you need some of it for stuff that comes up but I that is still very generous.

For all these reasons is why you don't need to take out all the money. And as far $140 K debt, that is actually approximately what I am looking at and I was happy about that considering other schools were only offering all loans, sending the price of my education well over 200K.

secretmiss said:
For all these reasons is why you don't need to take out all the money. And as far $140 K debt, that is actually approximately what I am looking at and I was happy about that considering other schools were only offering all loans, sending the price of my education well over 200K.

I agree with secretmiss. $140,000 in loans is actually quite good for a top, private school like Duke. Other such schools would've required me to take out non-governmental loans having higher interest rates, and they offered less than half as much grant money as Duke. As it stands now, it looks like I'll graduate with about $120,000 or so of loan debt from med school, and I'm quite happy with that compared to what it would've cost me at most other institutions (my state school wasn't all that cheap, and I hated it)

Also, don't forget about the wonders of the Duke 3rd year!!! Most students end up with a significant amount of scholarship money for their 3rd year research. We're talking $10-25,000 in free money here. Of course, if you're doing a dual-degree program, you may be out of luck. BUT, as compared to other schools you'll still save a year of your life, and in many cases you won't even have to pay extra tuition to get the degree!

All in all, Duke is a heck of a deal!!! Penn would've cost me $40-50,000 more, and it's a lot tougher to live on a student budget in a city like Philly.

TommyGunn04 said:
I agree with secretmiss. $140,000 in loans is actually quite good for a top, private school like Duke. Other such schools would've required me to take out non-governmental loans having higher interest rates, and they offered less than half as much grant money as Duke. As it stands now, it looks like I'll graduate with about $120,000 or so of loan debt from med school, and I'm quite happy with that compared to what it would've cost me at most other institutions (my state school wasn't all that cheap, and I hated it)

Also, don't forget about the wonders of the Duke 3rd year!!! Most students end up with a significant amount of scholarship money for their 3rd year research. We're talking $10-25,000 in free money here. Of course, if you're doing a dual-degree program, you may be out of luck. BUT, as compared to other schools you'll still save a year of your life, and in many cases you won't even have to pay extra tuition to get the degree!

All in all, Duke is a heck of a deal!!! Penn would've cost me $40-50,000 more, and it's a lot tougher to live on a student budget in a city like Philly.

ummm so i'm poor so $140K is a LOT of money to me....ANYWHERE!!! not mention the fact that Duke boasts on interview day and second look that its graduates finish up with less debt than the average graduate at private AND public medical schools...sooooo yeah, $140K is a lot..and i'm REALLY looking into scholarships b/c i want to reduce that loan amount..my total indebtedness at a few of the other schools would have been more like $60k-$80k... fingers.crossed :oops: :thumbup: how's life in durham these days kids?

LRmed2003 said:
ummm so i'm poor so $140K is a LOT of money to me....ANYWHERE!!! not mention the fact that Duke boasts on interview day and second look that its graduates finish up with less debt than the average graduate at private AND public medical schools...sooooo yeah, $140K is a lot..

Whoa, lets not make assumptions here. I'm poor too, but you're going to medical school...you WILL be a doctor, and you WILL make more money than most people, even if you do something relatively low-paying like general peds. I know it sounds like a lot of money now, but doctors generally don't have trouble paying off their loans. It typically takes about 10 years, and that's not because it can't be done sooner, but rather because it's to your advantage to invest your surplus money, since the return you can generally make is higher than the low interest rate on your student loans.

I like to think of it like this...Duke is an investment in my future, and it's a solid one. It's worth taking out some extra loans to go to such a great school, and it really helps open doors in your career. I too used to get upset about how Duke boasts such a low average loan rate, when I realized I was poised to rack up well over $100k. But then I realized that it's partly due to the fact that many students aren't on financial aid at all, or their parents are paying a more sizeable amount of their tuition. You and I aren't in that group, so our total indebtedness ends up higher. That's life. But there are enough people with no debt or very little debt to make the Duke average come out lower, when you add in the fact that Duke is quite a bit more generous with its financial aid than other private schools. What they REALLY should do is tell you the standard deviation of that average debt number, and also the maximum, to help give you a good idea about the range of borrowing that Duke students do. I agree it's a bit deceptive...it's sad but true.

At least you're not as bad off as some of my classmates who're getting MBA's though...the MBA tuition alone is $50k per year, so those students can end up borrowing an extra $100,000 on top of their med school costs!!! Look on the bright side...it could always be worse! But I hope those scholarships pan out for you.

I am also carrying around undergrad debt on top of my new med school debt....but it's worth it!!!
When I am busting my butt and getting mediocre grades and when I think about getting into the clinics in 8 weeks and THEN I remember that my 3rd year will be spent doing the oh-so-important-research to increase my chances of getting certain residencies (WITHOUT taking a year AFTER med school to complete said reasearch) I think it's worth it!
And at risk of getting flamed.....the Duke name counts for something (if not A LOT)....I will take my drowning Duke education and the feelings of stupidity as I continue to be average in an above average class and walk into a residency interview and have SOME of my interviewers say "hmmmm, you went to Duke? (we would love to have our website say that we have a Duke grad in our program)"
HOWEVER! the bottom line is you need to do what is right for you! If it would kill you think about the debt building daily then DON'T do it!!! You don't want stress of debt on top of stress of school.
Do what is right for you and never look back!

hey all..

didn't mean to sound assuming..just frustrated about this b/c i don't want to be compromised about what i go into in the face of paying all this off.. honestly, i don't think i will because i'm pretty much committed to doing what I believe in,, but it is a lot.. Tommygun, thanks for clarifying about the debt thing, it makes MUCH more sense now. I think that I (and some other folks) interpreted the financial aid data to mean that folks don't have to take out much loans at Duke b/c of the grants. i don't think we realized that there is a significant $ of folks who just pay the whole thing or don't take out loans..i guess i'll get over all..anyways..i am SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! YAY DUKE!! really though!!! how come there aren't any other incoming students posting on here..i feel like a dork!!! :D

LRmed2003 said:
hey all..

didn't mean to sound assuming..just frustrated about this b/c i don't want to be compromised about what i go into in the face of paying all this off.. honestly, i don't think i will because i'm pretty much committed to doing what I believe in,, but it is a lot.. Tommygun, thanks for clarifying about the debt thing, it makes MUCH more sense now. I think that I (and some other folks) interpreted the financial aid data to mean that folks don't have to take out much loans at Duke b/c of the grants. i don't think we realized that there is a significant $ of folks who just pay the whole thing or don't take out loans..i guess i'll get over all..anyways..i am SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! YAY DUKE!! really though!!! how come there aren't any other incoming students posting on here..i feel like a dork!!! :D

okay, now you're not the only incoming student who has posted here today :D . I was also surprised (in an unpleasant way) when I received my fin. aid package. I'm right there with you as far as being poor (married and my wife is also incurring undergrad debt), but having the opportunity to study medicine at Duke is hard to put a price on for me. I'm very excited for what the next few years will bring!

good afternoon beautiful duke kids..

hang in there first years,, only 1.5 months left..YOU CAN DO IT!!! good luck to those waitlisted at Duke..may 15th is right 'round the corner!!! hope all is well with everyone else..just wanted to say hey and bump us back to page one..!! :D

wow it's been about a year since i've visited this website!

i was wondering if any of the incoming duke 1st years have received information about a roommate website. i know they're setting it up; if you have any info on it just send me a private message.

i'll be looking for roommates (females) for next year and i'd like them to be 1st years since i'll be on clinical rotations 2nd year:)

thx

hI

i don't think they've set that website up yet. the old one is still up with the link to Duke Community Housing, but not the one for our class to find roommates..

~L

beep said:
It's entirely possible, but you have to be very resourceful. I've spent most of my time here carless -- my life is set up in such a way that I can do most anything via public transportation, which is easy when you live in one of the historic neighbourhoods near Duke. The only challenge is visiting friends who live the newer car-dependent neighbourhoods on the other side of town....

Let me know if you want more info -- I'll be happy to blather on at length any time after May 17th (Step 1 day!)

yay!!! congrats on taking step one..just out of curiosity..what year are you?

~L

I noticed your very helpful postings about the Duke waitlist way back in 2003. I don't suppose you have any heads up about how the list is shaping up this year as you pop into the admissions office for sodas, hmmm?

omores said:
It's entirely possible, but you have to be very resourceful. I've spent most of my time here carless -- my life is set up in such a way that I can do most anything via public transportation, which is easy when you live in one of the historic neighbourhoods near Duke. The only challenge is visiting friends who live the newer car-dependent neighbourhoods on the other side of town....

Let me know if you want more info -- I'll be happy to blather on at length any time after May 17th (Step 1 day!)