Duke University SOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anybody heard final word about having a required laptop? or do we wait until orientation?

Members don't see this ad.

ISABELLE22 said:
I just signed a lease at a great apartment:

www.loftsatlakeview.com

A bit pricey for Durham, but *much* cheaper than what I'm paying in NYC (including the 2 months free at signing).

Check it out and be my new neighbor!
Is it just me or are alot of NYCers at Duke? :confused:

Well, although I've lived in NYC and London for the past 9 years, I was born and raised in Cali, and am fully a WEST COAST GIRL!!! Where are the rest of you from???

Members don't see this ad :)
ramblinwreckie said:
has anybody heard final word about having a required laptop? or do we wait until orientation?

it is definitely required..did you get the latest email? we're sposed to log on to black board and there's literally TONS of stuff to read and do before we get to durham..jump on it folks!!! oh yeah plus all the info on the laptop,etc :D

hey everyone! just a lil note to let all yall know we are trying to organize a lil get together in the ecu/unc thread for july 14th in chapel hill in honor of deacons acceptance to wake and everyone elses success! so this is your invitation... don't have all the details arranged yet, but you can check in the ecu/unc 2005 in pre-allo for the DL. or pm me! was hard to decline bein all y'alls classmate, but lets be friends anywhoo.... ;) i just invited the wake peeps too...

ISABELLE22 said:
Well, although I've lived in NYC and London for the past 9 years, I was born and raised in Cali, and am fully a WEST COAST GIRL!!! Where are the rest of you from???

Have taken up residence in Durham since April...so far loving it! Can't wait 'til all you guys get here!

Last edited:
LRmed2003 said:
it is definitely required..did you get the latest email? we're sposed to log on to black board and there's literally TONS of stuff to read and do before we get to durham..jump on it folks!!! oh yeah plus all the info on the laptop,etc :D

thanks, LR. i must have overlooked that link.

looks like we don't have 8am classes during the first block (except for the Q&A). nice. :)

ONLY THREE WEEKS until orientation! WOW! Is everyone as excited/nervous as I am?

BUMP...

I feel obligated to post a message here cause I am one of the many people out there who check this forum all the time and don't ever post!!

I'm can't WAIT to get to school!!...I move in Friday into my apartment....Taylor's Pond it's called, a brand new place owned by the same company as Lenox. We got a 2br/2.5 bath for only 725 a month...they have a special running if anyone is still looking for housing. It's about 10 minutes to Duke. Anyway...if nothing else, BUMP!

Hey,
I'm one of the rising third years and just getting done with the clinical year here at Duke. I'll be at the NIH next year but just wanted to wish your class well - it sounds like you've got some pretty enthusiastic people on board, which is awesome.

I also wanted to clarify a question that has come up repeatedly in this thread regarding grading during the second year. It is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. On any given rotation, about 85-90% of the class will get Honors or High pass, with the vast vast majority of those getting High Pass. The rest pass, and I don't know of anyone who has actually failed a rotation, however I'm sure it does happen on occasion. The only exception to this scheme is OB/GYN, which is H/HP/P/LP/F although LP is reported as "pass" on the external transcript. Grading is fairly benign and although this year is waaaaay harder than the first year, it's been a lot of fun, filled with some pretty crazy experiences. I delivered my first baby on tuesday! Anyway, hope that clarifies things regarding the 6 major courses - there are a host of purely pass/fail elements in second year but that doesn't really matter for you guys at this point. I've loved my time here and wonder why I even bothered applying to those other 11 med schools...oh yeah, I was an admissions error and probably shouldn't have gotten in, but don't tell anyone. Welcome to Duke!

Thanks for the clarification on the grading system MadJimbo! What aspects of second year were "way harder"? I'm actually looking forward to getting in the clinics (CAN'T WAIT to get 1st year over with!!!). By way harder, do you mean the time commitment? Shelf exams? Expectations from attendings/residents? Would love to hear your take...

Anyways, congrats on NIH! I guess we'll see you around next year!

I'm not sure what Madji was talking about 2nd year being WAY harder, but I am just ignoring that for now and going into 2nd year thinking it will be the greatest time eva'!
BUT, I will keep the forum posted about my experiences 2nd year...
I am really excited about starting the next chapter in my med school life, but I don't want you guys and gals to forget to have fun and learn some stuff first year
sure you want to get it over with and get out of the class room but the whole time flies by so fast that you really should not wish a whole year away. Just try to have fun learning...even if it is from a book...I just tried to look at first year as a fun time of learning and I learned it for me and NOT for the tests or for the teachers. If you get wrapped up in grades you will not have a whole lot of fun...like several of my classmates who by the end of the year were no fun as they were tied up in knots.
Stay of top of your work
Don't get behind
have fun
go out on the weekend
try to get some sleep (from personal experience, you just can't keep a 3hr per night pace for 11 months straight without burning out!)

DukeDoc08 said:
try to get some sleep (from personal experience, you just can't keep a 3hr per night pace for 11 months straight without burning out!)

Oh my gosh...3 hours of sleep a night...now you are freaking me out! Did you really feel like you had to study that much? Is there that much material or is it a time management thing? Maybe I'm totally underestimating how many hours I will need to put in!?!

Anyways, thanks for the advice. While I am definitely looking forward to my time in the clinics, I'm pretty psyched for first year too. The desire to "get it over with" stems from anxiety about how hard it will be! I am very excited to learn, just a little bit worried about having to gear up for exams so often! But, I guess we'll all get through it one way or another!

Good luck in the Clinics!

Members don't see this ad :)
flashMD said:
Oh my gosh...3 hours of sleep a night...now you are freaking me out! Did you really feel like you had to study that much? Is there that much material or is it a time management thing? Maybe I'm totally underestimating how many hours I will need to put in!?!

Anyways, thanks for the advice. While I am definitely looking forward to my time in the clinics, I'm pretty psyched for first year too. The desire to "get it over with" stems from anxiety about how hard it will be! I am very excited to learn, just a little bit worried about having to gear up for exams so often! But, I guess we'll all get through it one way or another!

Good luck in the Clinics!

No, not that bad! Many classmates went to sleep at 10pm every night. I just had other things going on that took time away from studying until later on in the evening, that's all. There is a lot of material, but it all depends on the person as to how long it will take you to "master" it. I cannot stress enough the variablility of everyone's experiences. Everyone is different and everyone takes their own amount of time and everyone has different priorities.
Go in with no preconceived ideas and take one day at a time and you will be fine and you will find your own routine and your own groove!
But PLEASE don't be nervous or stressed yet! you have plenty of time for that when or if the right time comes!

DukeDoc08 said:
Go in with no preconceived ideas and take one day at a time and you will be fine and you will find your own routine and your own groove!
But PLEASE don't be nervous or stressed yet! you have plenty of time for that when or if the right time comes!

Ha! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the advice! No doubt that everyone learns differently! I'm looking forward to finding my own learning style again...as it has been awhile since I've been in a rigorous academic program! I guess that is the main reason for the nerves. More like excitement mixed with nerves.

flashMD said:
Thanks for the clarification on the grading system MadJimbo! What aspects of second year were "way harder"?

Second year is "way harder" because most people work harder that year than they've ever worked before. It's not just a Duke thing, it's a medical school clerkship thing. It's a physically, emotionally, and intellectually intense year, which combines unbelievable funds of knowledge to acquire along with long hours and grueling days on the wards, in clinic, or in the OR. Sometimes you don't get to eat. Sometimes you don't get to sleep. Sometimes you fall asleep standing up, and you don't think you can make it another second. But you do, and you get through it, and you have an unbelievable time doing it! You finally get to take care of people, to feel like you're making a difference, to be part of the team, and to connect with patients who make the long days worthwhile. There's nothing quite like it!

FYI...Orientation Schedule is up! (courses.duke.edu)

See you guys bright and early on Monday, August 1! Two weeks to the DAY!

For those of you going to campout...see you then!

BUMP!

sup sup...long time no here...lol..anyway...missed ya'll..i'm officially in durham..yipeeee.... how's life? where my '09ers at?

~L

LRmed2003 said:
sup sup...long time no here...lol..anyway...missed ya'll..i'm officially in durham..yipeeee.... how's life? where my '09ers at?

~L

Hey!

Glad to hear you made it to Durham! Hope your Uhaul "Adventure in Moving" wasn't TOO bad! Enjoy your next few weeks of freedom! See you at campout!

By the way...anyone heard anymore details about campout? I haven't received anything since I RSVP'd?

Bump, bump, bump, bump...

hello hello hello..everyone check your email today for a message from wendy with ALL the campout details..fun fun fun! i am excited to meet everyone again, if not this weekend, then definitely on monday! Don't forget to dress up on monday for the class pic. ummmm..what else? the uhaul adventure actually wasn't ...one of my mom's friends let us use his truck so it wasn't too bad...now i am just exploring durham and getting lost to get found again. umm..what else? hmmmm..i have a list of directions to lots of places in durham to get apt. shopping done..PM me if you want it, though i'm sure i sent it to everyone on the general class distribution list..anyway, i'm off to costco and various other errands today..holla holla

~L

Anyone know what the camping accommodations are like? Running water? Bathrooms? Showers? Or are we TOTALLY roughing it?

Just trying to figure out how to pack...

Get pumped everybody! 3 days until campout! 6 days until orientation! WOW!

BTW, what have you received from general class distribution list? I must not be on it...I don't think I've received anything from classmates.

The first years have landed....and almost been arrested as of day 2. Strong. Very strong.

Madjimbo1 said:
The first years have landed....and almost been arrested as of day 2. Strong. Very strong.

Ahhhh Madji...I, too, am very impressed.
I would also like to give huge props to the girl (don't know her name) who was put into the cop car but kept her cool (OTHER THAN throwing her beer into the bushes right in front of the mean old cop) and did not cry
I expect great things from this class, hopefully we (2nd years and you too Madji) will get to hang out more before we fall off the face of the earth into 2nd year rotations!

Next week we have "intersession," so don't forget to invite some upperclass people to your trillian/IM chatrooms...yes, we have better things to do but it is a good bonding opportunity with the class above you! Trillian is a must have during your orientation oh, and during your classes as well.
I am looking forward to the party you guys are going to throw for us 2nd years! It is a great tradition and I am sure you won't let us down, so make it a good one before we are thrown to the lions of 2nd year rotations!

after about 2 weeks of classes our class was down to about 35 people..the rest were streamers

i am interested in going to duke, but i do not have the second semester calculus....i am a non trad applicant so i took calc 1 a while ago. will duke still consider me for admission ( i wonder)? Is there anyone out there that has been accepted without the second semester of calculus(i mean it does not have any relevance to medicine)?

Write the school an e-mail and ask. There are several people in our class who had one or several requirements waived. Any younger dukies reading this, you should apply to the NIH for third year...it's awesome.

Hey guys,

I am studying medicine in Ireland and hope to write the USMLEs and do a residency in the US. My medical course is lectures-based. Most students over here use each lecture as a template, go to the recommended textbook, and then make notes from portions of the textbook that are relevant to the lecture. Afterwards, we then add info from the lecture not found in the textbook to our set of notes. Basically, we create our own set of notes from the lecture and the textbook.

Lately I’ve become really curious as to how you guys study in the US during your courses. Do you guys get….
1) Lectures and just study the lectures
2) Lectures and supplement with the textbook like us
3) Lectures but don’t bother using them of even attending them and just read the textbooks (seems like a lot – don’t know if this is possible unless using review book or small textbook – could you specify if you are reading review books or actual textbooks – for example, I would consider Guyton a textbook and Costanzo a review book for physiology)
4) Coursepackages (ie. booklets containing notes made by your professors) that you just study and don’t bother at all with textbooks
5) Or does it depend on the course and professor and your study method varies

If you guys could let me know how the material is presented to you guys and how you study that would be awesome. Lately Ive been second guessing the way Im studying because Im thinking maybe I should be studying more like a US student if I am to do well on the USMLEs. If this makes any sense?

Finally, I was hoping you guys could tell me what textbooks you use for the following courses (if you guys use them in your study)….
1) Neuroanatomy
2) Biochemistry
3) Behavioral Sciences
4) Pathology
5) Pharmacology
6) Cell biology and Histology
7) Microbiology and Immunology

Thanks guys. I would really appreciate any help!!!!