Duke Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surg1783

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currenty researching residency programs in Urology. Duke was suggested as a good program but I don't know much about it. There is a new chairman and new faculty. Does anyone have an inside scoop on the program and how things are, currently?

Members don't see this ad.

surg1783 said:
I am currenty researching residency programs in Urology. Duke was suggested as a good program but I don't know much about it. There is a new chairman and new faculty. Does anyone have an inside scoop on the program and how things are, currently?
Hope this helps.
This is a reply from urologymatch.com:

"From what I know Duke is a pretty good place, and the new chairman has good direction. He's been there about a year, so should have good connections and pull within the hospital by the time you'd be entering urology years. They have leaders in endourology and stones, so you'll see a lot of that. However, they do not have any peds urologists, so are actually sending their residents to UNC for that. I am pretty sure their main female/reconstruction urologist is near retirement too. They like research, and have readded the research year back in, so make sure to do that if you want to go there. let me explain... as it is one reason you may have not heard about it much the past 2 years.

For the class of 2004 graduates, Duke went through the process and interviewed people, only to then leave the match and switch from 6-5 years -- leaving those people out of money and a wasted interview day (crucial, that time of year). For the class of 2005 graduates, Duke again went through the process as a 5 year program, only to decide to officially go back up to 6 years after interviewing everyone -- adding back the year of the research they got rid of the year prior. Consequently, they also have to look to get 3 new candidates for their "missing" class of 2004. My only point is that things seem a little shaky in Durham... and i'm not talking about their Final 4 chances."

surg1783 said:
As everything about Duke... OVER-RATED.

Then again, I'm a loyal UConn Huskies fan and this has no bearing on the quality of the Urology residency. However, I would like to point out that UConn beat Duke in 1999 in the NCAA men's basketball championship game and then again in 2004 in the final four on their way to win the national title again that year.

Go Huskies!