DUKE Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHare

MD
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Roll call

How many people do they waitlist and how many do they accept off of it? I know it has a lot of movement. Some saw it's unranked because they just pull people off that "match."

Waitlist letters were postmarked March 3rd in a small white envelope with 32.6 cents postage. A reply postcard was included.

Members don't see this ad.

OHare said:
Roll call

How many people do they waitlist and how many do they accept off of it? I know it has a lot of movement. Some saw it's unranked because they just pull people off that "match."
definitely match... last year I believe a 42 mother of two withdrew and was replaced by a 35 yr old mother of three

UNC-or-BUST said:
definitely match... last year I believe a 42 mother of two withdrew and was replaced by a 35 yr old mother of three

That seems a little strange to me. I wonder what "type" I am. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. I remember meeting several students on my interview day who said they were pulled off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend from last year got in off the waitlist pretty late (I forgot exactly when but it was during the summer I think). Obviously he was STOKED and went there in a heartbeat. Be patient... good luck! :luck:

Alright, all of the average 21/22 aged white males need to drop :p .

bamf7 said:
Alright, all of the average 21/22 aged white males need to drop :p .
I think they make us fight in the ring of fire.... last 2 get a spot....

UNC-or-BUST said:
I think they make us fight in the ring of fire.... last 2 get a spot....

Good thing I majored in cage fighting. You're going down Bust.

By the way, if you get into Duke and UNC, where will you go?

bamf7 said:

Good question, UNC is very cheap and a program on the rise. Duke, expensive but already at the top. Still, I like the quote from Goodwill Hunting, Matt Damon said something like, "at Harvard you spend 100K getting the same education as $1.40 in late fees from a library"
32K for UNC
160K for Duke
and there is not way I will get any fin aid.... dam parents, why did they have to work soo hard?
Hopefully though, I won't be at either, someplace cold and windy......

I called and I was told that there was no movement until after May 15. Has anyone else heard anything different?

UNC-or-BUST said:
Good question, UNC is very cheap and a program on the rise. Duke, expensive but already at the top. Still, I like the quote from Goodwill Hunting, Matt Damon said something like, "at Harvard you spend 100K getting the same education as $1.40 in late fees from a library"
32K for UNC
160K for Duke
and there is not way I will get any fin aid.... dam parents, why did they have to work soo hard?

Hey guys,

I just got my waitlist letter today so I will join you as we impatiently wait for May 15th and beyond :)

evljanevl said:
I called and I was told that there was no movement until after May 15. Has anyone else heard anything different?
The last two days I've called, they've left at 4:40pm! I'm glad you got ahold of them.
I guess there's really no point in sending updates until May?

UNC-or-BUST said:

Haha, Columbus is cold and windy. Wanna trade?

hey guys,
I received an invitation to join your club a couple days ago, so count me in. I stopped by the admissions office today and I was also told that we shouldn't expect any movement until after May 15. Also, I asked her when we can find out our position on the waitlist (since I thought the letter said we can't ask yet), and she said they don't ever disclose that information. So...here's to more waiting! Good luck, everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:
hey guys,
I received an invitation to join your club a couple days ago, so count me in. I stopped by the admissions office today and I was also told that we shouldn't expect any movement until after May 15. Also, I asked her when we can find out our position on the waitlist (since I thought the letter said we can't ask yet), and she said they don't ever disclose that information. So...here's to more waiting! Good luck, everyone.

Does anyone have any idea of how many people are usually waitlisted and approximately how many are accepted off the waitlist each year?

I got my waitlist letter today. I have to say, although I was disappointed to be waitlisted, it was the nicest waitlist letter I've seen.

We were enormously impressed with you as a scholar and as a prospective physician, and we sincerely hope you will accept this position...

At least the let down is gentle...

I was/am one of the starters of the "match" rumor, and I stand by my statements. The class is hand-picked pretty meticulously for every possible aspect of diversity in a 100 person class. When someone drops they try to replace that particular person.
As far as the 22 yo SWM? I think if you staged the cage fight May 14th that at least one person would get the nod!
May 15th is a good date to look forward to and to hang your hat on, BUT it is not set in stone. Last year I know for a fact that not everyone had made their decisions until after May 15th and thus the waitlist movement was pushed back by a little bit. The good news is that when it moves, it moves! by this I mean when they start taking people, it is because they have room and they come in groups as opposed to a straggler here or there off the waitlist. Obviously as time goes on it becomes a straggler issue. I would not wait until May 15th to send an update letter. Maybe a letter in a week stating what you felt about being on the waitlist and how Duke compares to your other choices and then maybe another one just to say Hi and that you are still thinking of them. And then if you've got a big gun (publication, A in orgo, Nobel Peace Prize, interested in financing a building for the hospital) then you can send that in around May 15th for added effect. and if you run out of things to say, like I did last year, then you just repeat yourself using different words. Slobber on the letter gets added points for showing interest.
Good luck everyone! I love Duke in so many ways it would take a month to type them all, but best of all it was best for me and I hope you all find a school that is best for you, too! However, there is a lot to be said for, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!"
Any other questions I can answer, you should probably PM me, I check every couple days.

(publication, A in orgo, Nobel Peace Prize, interested in financing a building for the hospital) or if you come in first in a cage fight....

It seems from our SDN sample that a lot of people have been waitlisted. I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that Duke is a cruddy school, definitely not worthy of cage fighting, and I think you all should withdraw from the waitlist, so I can reluctantly take a place in Duke's freshman class :laugh:

Saluki said:
It seems from our SDN sample that a lot of people have been waitlisted. I'd just like to take this opportunity to say that Duke is a cruddy school, definitely not worthy of cage fighting, and I think you all should withdraw from the waitlist, so I can reluctantly take a place in Duke's freshman class :laugh:

It's too late for that. I'm already 2-0. Who's next?

bamf7 said:

This reminds me that apparently, one of the first years at Hopkins actually WAS a cage fighter in his first career. Anyone else meet this guy??

Did anyone else mark/write Duke as "first choice" on the reply card as the letter indicated was appropriate?

OHare said:
Did anyone else mark/write Duke as "first choice" on the reply card as the letter indicated was appropriate?

My aunt and uncle filled out the form for me... Where did it say that you were supposed to put something about whether it was your top choice?

Saluki said:
My aunt and uncle filled out the form for me... Where did it say that you were supposed to put something about whether it was your top choice?
On the letter it says "if you would like to indicate Duke as your first choice, you may do so on the postcard"

OHare said:
On the letter it says "if you would like to indicate Duke as your first choice, you may do so on the postcard"

Whoops... I guess maybe I can send a letter later...

I was waitlisted mstp, and accepted MD. I will most likely withdraw if not accpeted md/phd so if there is a 23 year old, biomedical engineer, brazilian on the waitlist, they're looking good.

CaipirinhaQuinho said:
I was waitlisted mstp, and accepted MD. I will most likely withdraw if not accpeted md/phd so if there is a 23 year old, biomedical engineer, brazilian on the waitlist, they're looking good.

Dibs!

Sweet! I can't believe I called the spot first. CaipirinhaQuinho, PM me and I'll tell you specifics to give to the adcom when you let them know I got your spot. This is awesome, I need to go call my mom . . .

I'm confused. People are saying no movement until May 15th. My letter says "it has been our experience that during the next two months, we will continue to assign places in the entering class". Hmmm...

CaipirinhaQuinho said:

Don't forget to remind folks they have to match up your 30 inch thighs and 23 inch biceps. I'm sure they could get the squat up to 600 lbs in no time as well.

In the meantime sign me up for the octagon.

bamf7 said:
I'm confused. People are saying no movement until May 15th. My letter says "it has been our experience that during the next two months, we will continue to assign places in the entering class". Hmmm...
Yeah, they will assign places based on people who accept and decline admission...then they'll start on the waiting list May 15

OHare said:
Yeah, they will assign places based on people who accept and decline admission...then they'll start on the waiting list May 15

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

What date were your waitlist letters postmarked? I'm here in CT and have heard nothing, although I know I was either waitlisted/rejected because of not receiving the 2nd look email.

macadamianut said:
What date were your waitlist letters postmarked? I'm here in CT and have heard nothing, although I know I was either waitlisted/rejected because of not receiving the 2nd look email.

Mine is post-marked 3/3/06. I just got it yesterday (in California)..

macadamianut said:

I'm in CT and in the same situation. Something apparently got screwed up in the CT mail system.

Our letters say to get our financial aid stuff in. Is that just the FAFSA or are they going to send us stuff?

bamf7 said:
Thanks.

Did the letters ever make it to CT?

I got mine yesterday, a week after they were mailed.

macadamianut said:
I got mine yesterday, a week after they were mailed.

Still no letter here! grrrrr. Calling on Monday.

Diosa, where do you live?

So I cracked open my packet from interview today and didn't see anything about financial aid. What do we need to submit directly to Duke while we are on the waitlist? (besides FAFSA)

Reading the posts in pre-allo for the Duke acceptees it seems that Duke's "generous" financial aid packet is anything but generous lol.

I asked Mr. Wallace and he told me that I only need to submit the FAFSA at this point. Once accepted, there will be more information about financial aid. You can call the Financial Aid Office to double check, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The financial aid deadline is for those lucky people who got accepted. I wish I were them........ :p (daydreaming)

I'm withdrawing from the Duke waitlist due to the recent scandal involving the Lacrosse team. Just too much drama and racial tension and negative publicity for me to go to that school. Anyone else doing the same?

mbadoc said:
I'm withdrawing from the Duke waitlist due to the recent scandal involving the Lacrosse team. Just too much drama and racial tension and negative publicity for me to go to that school. Anyone else doing the same?

you have got to be kidding

cocogrl said:
you have got to be kidding

I have to second cocogrl... The lacrosse team's scandal is not even on my radar screen... One, there are bound to be a few jerks and scumbags at every undergrad institution in the country, and the administration seems to be handling it well. Two, that is a deal w/ the undergrad, not the med school.
I still think Duke is wonderful... I'm not 100% sure that I'll go if I get in off the waitlist, but that has to do with what kind of financial aid they give me, whether they'll let me defer to do the Fulbright, and how excited I am about the school I'm currently on my way to... I think it's silly to withdraw because of a scandal on the undergrad campus, but I guess it makes the waitlist shorter for the rest of us :D

OHare said:
They do defer off waitlist for Fulbright.

How do you know? (Not an accusation, I'm just curious) Did you ask about or did you do it yourself? Are you on the waitlist right now? I emailed them to ask them about it, but they never replied :smuggrin:

Two weeks from today my friends. Anyone getting excited?