DUKE Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
diosa428 said:
I wouldn't count yourselves out yet. Chances are, there are some people who were initially planning on going to Duke who got off waitlists at other schools this week, but don't have to withdraw from Duke for ~2 weeks. There will probably be more movement. I sent in 3 update/LOIs, so if you haven't sent any in yet, I would recommend it.

wow, 3? I just sent in one. what did you say? how did you manage not to repeat yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if you have to turn in any Fin Aid paperwork other than FAFSA while you're on the waitlist?

I'd like to have the Fin Aid stuff ready so they can give me a package so I can decide within the time window. Is this even possible? Or will you have to accept the offer before they can give you a Fin Aid package.

Thanks!

I turned in all of their online stuff - not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but at least it gave me some peace of mind...ya know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wookey said:
Anyone know if you have to turn in any Fin Aid paperwork other than FAFSA while you're on the waitlist?

I'd like to have the Fin Aid stuff ready so they can give me a package so I can decide within the time window. Is this even possible? Or will you have to accept the offer before they can give you a Fin Aid package.

Thanks!

You need to turn in FAFSA and fill out the need access form (www.needaccess.org). You also need to send in your tax forms and W2s and your parents tax forms and W2s. The time window is about 2 weeks and fin aid told me I should get my package in about 2 weeks.

EpiphanyPlease said:
wow, 3? I just sent in one. what did you say? how did you manage not to repeat yourself?

This probably won't help now, but I sent in an update/LOI in Feb before decisions were made (I interviewed in Oct so I had a bunch to say), then when I got waitlisted I emailed the dean and just re-iterated that Duke was my top choice and mentioned a graduate talk that I had to give, then sent in another LOI/update in the beginning of May because I had completed my Master's.

diosa428 said:
You need to turn in FAFSA and fill out the need access form (www.needaccess.org). You also need to send in your tax forms and W2s and your parents tax forms and W2s. The time window is about 2 weeks and fin aid told me I should get my package in about 2 weeks.

Did they send the package after the acceptance?

Wookey said:
Did they send the package after the acceptance?

I got in Tues and called Wed to make sure they have everything, and they said they have it all and I should get it within two weeks. We're supposed to accept our acceptance by June 1, which is like 2 weeks and 2 days. I'm hoping I get it next week b/c I'm going away the week after, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to Duke regardless.

i hope you guys get the nifty envelopes too. i kept mine as a souveneir. :)

Week 2 starts. anyone think they'll start another round of calling today?

EpiphanyPlease said:
Week 2 starts. anyone think they'll start another round of calling today?

i doubt it since the accepted waitlistees have 2 weeks to respond by. it will probably take a few more days. of course its entirely possible that they all accepted which means no more spots :( for us.

So..... who's still hanging out on this waitlist? Where will you go if you don't get in?

bamf7 said:
So..... who's still hanging out on this waitlist? Where will you go if you don't get in?

einstein

Members don't see this ad :)
OHare said:
So we're waiting 'til June 2

What happens on June 2? How do you know about this date? :confused:

Hassler said:
What happens on June 2? How do you know about this date? :confused:

website

kasha said:

I see. So next Monday might be our last realistic chance. Good luck everyone! :luck:

People who were accepted off the waitlist on May 16th have until June 2nd to decide (my deadline). So there should be another round of calling June 5th. But that doesn't mean that if you don't get the call on June 5th you should give up -- certainly the people who decline then will open up spots. Probably fewer throughout the summer, though.

For financial aid, make sure you have your and your parents' tax forms ready. If you haven't already filled out Need Access for another school, know that it takes a significant amount of time and effort to fill out. And fax in your documents ASAP, so you can get your financial aid in time to play a factor in your decision...

:luck:

so out of the 6-7 ppl who got off may 16 how many of you let them know you were coming to DUKE and how many are goin to other schools.... i am on the waitlist and its the only school i can get in... all others rejected me ... so if i dont get in i think ima do a yr of research...

I'm waiting as well. So if I don't get in June 2, I should probably start looking for apt at the other school? And apply for loans as well? Doesn't this waiting suck? Good luck everyone! Let's hope not all the people who got in off the waitlist wanna go to Duke :)

Hey folks,

I declined my acceptance. So there should be at least one more spot opening up... :)

:luck: !

almost_there said:
Hey folks,

I declined my acceptance. So there should be at least one more spot opening up... :)

Why did you decline? Where will you be going instead?

almost_there said:
Hey folks,

This waiting is driving me crazy! Thanks for giving us hope!! hehe

ya i think there will be some spots opening up.... see at least ur in a better situation where u got a medschool to get into if you dont get into DUKE.... i am not in any other school... so if i dont get in than its a year off for me.... but i would be interested to know if the others are going ..... i say maybe 5-7 spots will be open?? (just guessing)....... and oh yea what schools will u guyz be attending if u dont get DUKE or if u declined DUKE>./???

mercer85 said:
ya i think there will be some spots opening up.... see at least ur in a better situation where u got a medschool to get into if you dont get into DUKE.... i am not in any other school... so if i dont get in than its a year off for me.... but i would be interested to know if the others are going ..... i say maybe 5-7 spots will be open?? (just guessing)....... and oh yea what schools will u guyz be attending if u dont get DUKE or if u declined DUKE>./???

probably sinai. maybe einstein.

kasha said:
probably sinai. maybe einstein.
cool.... well will ya go to duke if ya get in/???

mercer85 said:
cool.... well will ya go to duke if ya get in/???

it mostly depends on the financial aid. but assuming similar packages, yeh. i would go to duke.

although honestly, the chances that we will get off the waitlist arent very high at this point.

kasha said:
it mostly depends on the financial aid. but assuming similar packages, yeh. i would go to duke.

although honestly, the chances that we will get off the waitlist arent very high at this point.

ya i feel ya.... at this point it is going to be slim chance...... but tommorow is the best chance ....... so to me ... if i dont get a call tommorow... then that means pretty much im not in.... b/c if i was to get in i think it should be tomo since the deadline for everyone was supposedly june 2nd....

I'm going to USC if I don't get in.

It sounds like everyone is pretty resigned/pessimistic? I guess I'm still hoping hehe. Very very hard. Do you really think that there will be that few spots opening up? I keep hearing people tell me that there is actually a LOT of movement off waitlists...??

Folks the wensite changed as of Friday. So either ther already made the offers on Friday or they updated it before the upcoming offers. It's kind of weird that they would update a full 3 days before though no?

kasha said:
Folks the wensite changed as of Friday. So either ther already made the offers on Friday or they updated it before the upcoming offers. It's kind of weird that they would update a full 3 days before though no?

hmm I dunno what to make of that...website? which page?...

hey guys,
I have two friends who both got off the waitlist in mid-June last year, so I really think there's still significant hope to get in. Good luck!

hey anyone got calls yet??? do u know what time they are gonna call??

mercer85 said:
hey anyone got calls yet??? do u know what time they are gonna call??

May not even be today my man.

Just Called And They Said That There Were No Seats Open From Friday And No Calls Until The Next Week Or Two!!! Can Anyone Confirm This By Callin Or Something.... Are They Just Sayin That To Avoid Calls??????/

mercer85 said:
Just Called And They Said That There Were No Seats Open From Friday And No Calls Until The Next Week Or Two!!! Can Anyone Confirm This By Callin Or Something.... Are They Just Sayin That To Avoid Calls??????/

well it would make sense based on the change on the website man...

hold on,....didn't "almost_there" decline Duke??
so that's at least one spot open...maybe they're just saying that to avoid giving out info??? or maybe they're just giving themselves more time....
still...it sounds like we don't have much of a chance anymore... :(

EpiphanyPlease said:
hold on,....didn't "almost_there" decline Duke??
so that's at least one spot open...maybe they're just saying that to avoid giving out info??? or maybe they're just giving themselves more time....
still...it sounds like we don't have much of a chance anymore... :(

I don't believe the news either. I don't think everyone will accept the spots. But what do I know??

Good luck!

I think there is going to be phone calls on MONDAY!!

mercer85 said:
I think there is going to be phone calls on MONDAY!!

How do you know?

Sorry, I've been skeptical with every bit of information recently because all the waitlists that I'm on aren't moving or not really moving :mad: , although they might be moving but they just don't want to accept me :(

Hassler said:
How do you know?

Sorry, I've been skeptical with every bit of information recently because all the waitlists that I'm on aren't moving or not really moving :mad: , although they might be moving but they just don't want to accept me :(

they have a deadline of this friday.....

so out of the ppl that got accepted and posted here... how many decided not to go????? if you guyz dont mind me askin...

mercer85 said:
so out of the ppl that got accepted and posted here... how many decided not to go????? if you guyz dont mind me askin...

I'm going, and as far as I know, MrBurns, IHaveLab and dr cot are all also going (I can't really speak for them, but we have all been posting on the Duke class thread). Anyway, I know that Harvard hasn't gone to it's waitlist yet and the official deadline to withdraw from all but one school is June 15 (for everyone) so there is still some possibility that people may withdraw in the upcoming weeks. Goodluck!

diosa428 said:
I'm going, and as far as I know, MrBurns, IHaveLab and dr cot are all also going (I can't really speak for them, but we have all been posting on the Duke class thread). Anyway, I know that Harvard hasn't gone to it's waitlist yet and the official deadline to withdraw from all but one school is June 15 (for everyone) so there is still some possibility that people may withdraw in the upcoming weeks. Goodluck!

so did anyone decline this last friday???????????

EpiphanyPlease said:

has anyone been contacted the admissions office and expressing their interest.......

mercer85 said:
has anyone been contacted the admissions office and expressing their interest.......

I called but didn't give my name

hmmm then how will they know who it was who contacted them? (in other words, how will that phone call have helped you?)

did they say anything useful? like when/if they'll start calling people off waitlist again?

Hello All,

This is my first post ever in life. Anyway, given the dearth of posts to this thread recently I'm guessing people have more or less given up on Duke. On that vein, I wanted to let ya'll know that I called today and was told...
1) They have unofficially closed their class for this year.
2) The last (i.e. most recent or perhaps final) waitlist decision had been made sometime this week.

Sorry to post such dismal news, but I hope it gives some people closure.

kutumb said:
Hello All,

This is my first post ever in life. Anyway, given the dearth of posts to this thread recently I'm guessing people have more or less given up on Duke. On that vein, I wanted to let ya'll know that I called today and was told...
1) They have unofficially closed their class for this year.
2) The last (i.e. most recent or perhaps final) waitlist decision had been made sometime this week.

Sorry to post such dismal news, but I hope it gives some people closure.

Is this some kind of a change in policy this year??? I ask because I know for a fact that a number of people were accepted in mid or even late July in past years at Duke (many in my class, which just graduated this May). I don't understand how they can declare that the class is closed, as there's always the possibility that some students are holding waitlist spots at other schools. If a spot opens up elsewhere, they could still lose a few students before classes start, and would need to fill those spots. They always aim for a class of 100, so I'm pretty sure they'd fill the spots with someone off the waitlist, as they did with my class. So why would they be closing it this year so early???