duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I shouldn't concern myself with this at this point, but I was wondering how the waitlist movement is for Duke. Dookter and Cadiologist, did you both get in to Duke straight or off the waitlist. If so, when? I am just wondering if I get on the waitlist, if there might be a hope to wait till June to get off the list. Thanks!!
Waitlist movement was pretty good last year, in my opinion. I got in off the waitlist, as did at least seven other people I can think of. Most of us who got in off the waitlist got in the first day the waitlist moved, which I believe was May 16. There was one guy I know who got in in June after weeks of perseverance...after he got waitlisted, he sent a couple letters, called the office several times, and did other things that made it practically impossible for Duke not to take him off the waitlist when another spot opened. My suggestion to you guys is definitely let Duke know that they're your first choice. A letter of intent worked for me and my roommate, and I think it definitely has some effect.

And Cardio, I can answer some of those questions for you since I'm not trying to plan a wedding right now. I really like my classmates for the most part. Everyone is really helpful and supportive, something I really didn't expect. Some people have put their lives on getting honors, some have decided a 71 is good enough for them, and everyone else is pretty much just focused on doing the best they can while still maintaining some semblance of a social life. We go out a lot as a class, to movies, dinner, bars, etc., so we're pretty tight. Housing within 10 minutes of Duke is easy to find, and most people rent an apartment- although some, including myself (well, technically my parents) bought a place. It is almost impossible to get around Durham without your own car...public transportation here sucks. But cost of living is really cheap, so that should free up some extra money.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions, and good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

ya when i was interviewing i met a couple of really great first year students (one of whom i still keep in contact with and she even read over my letter of interest that i sent to duke). either way... my friend was telling me that anything u can do to let duke know that they are number 1 on ure list really really helps a lot cuz they only want students who really wanna go there... i think that is a brilliant strategy personally. so ya byong soo, if u really wanna end up there like i really want to, send an update if there are substantial things that u have done since you sent in ure amcas or send a letter of interest. if you send the letter of interest, address it to a specific person in the admissions office that you remember from the day that you interviewed... this is what my friend told me to do. hopefully it works (keeping fingers crossed).

mr burns, you got in may 16th??? holy moly... how did you survive until then. i feel like march is too long *sigh*

mr burns, you got in may 16th??? holy moly... how did you survive until then. i feel like march is too long *sigh*
well, two things helped me: 1) I didn't interview until Feb 14 (last year that was the last week of interviews) so I didn't even have to wait long for my March decision, and 2) I have pessimistic tendencies and really didn't expect to get in and I had already gotten in somewhere else I was happy to go to, so I had the attitude that if Duke didn't work out, it really wasn't the worst thing in the world. And truth of the matter is that if you guys don't get into Duke (or into med school, for that matter) it still won't be even close to the worst thing in the world. Go into the next couple months feeling that whatever happens was meant to happen and try to keep things in perspective. As cheesy and cliche as that sounds, it definitely helped me while I was waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, two things helped me: 1) I didn't interview until Feb 14 (last year that was the last week of interviews) so I didn't even have to wait long for my March decision, and 2) I have pessimistic tendencies and really didn't expect to get in and I had already gotten in somewhere else I was happy to go to, so I had the attitude that if Duke didn't work out, it really wasn't the worst thing in the world. And truth of the matter is that if you guys don't get into Duke (or into med school, for that matter) it still won't be even close to the worst thing in the world. Go into the next couple months feeling that whatever happens was meant to happen and try to keep things in perspective. As cheesy and cliche as that sounds, it definitely helped me while I was waiting.

Another thing that helped MrBurns get in: her boyfriend opened up a spot for her ;)

oooooooo... burns got burned??? haha jk. ya burns that sounds like good advice... i will try to take that advice but easier said than done i suppose. thanx for all of the tips. :thumbup:

oooooooo... burns got burned??? haha jk. ya burns that sounds like good advice... i will try to take that advice but easier said than done i suppose. thanx for all of the tips. :thumbup:

man ure being such an a$$ in$ulting peeps lyke that. u $hould chaynge ure avatar to a calvin peein on the wurld...

man ure being such an a$$ in$ulting peeps lyke that. u $hould chaynge ure avatar to a calvin peein on the wurld...

god i want to be just like you when i grow up

thnx for the advices MrBurns10 and FemalesCANTDriv :)
FemalesCANTDriv, btw, did you send via email or on paper?

this is the same person i was referring to who was not speaking so highly of duke or the curriculum while for some reason taking up an interview spot...

this is the same person i was referring to who was not speaking so highly of duke or the curriculum while for some reason taking up an interview spot...

Hey, I liked Duke until my interviewer told me to look somewhere else if I wanted to work with "poor people [sic]." I'm still in love with the curriculum. But man Driv, did you drink some grapefruit juice tonight? You seem so bitter...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I liked Duke until my interviewer told me to look somewhere else if I wanted to work with "poor people [sic]." Man Driv, did you drink some grapefruit juice tonight? You seem so bitter...

hey go drink some more diet dr. pepper, humble and talk some more crap about duke while at the interview...

humbleMD, living up to your user name huh?

Yes, questioning someone about the nature and motivation for their vehement personal attacks is so unhumble of me. How ever will I live with myself...

HumbleMD, you shouldn't have started $&@% in the first place.
Looking at your MDapplicant profile, obviously, you are a smart and brilliant guy, and you should know better than starting things on SDN.

"vehement personal attacks?" she was just kidding around. that doesn't take a genius to figure out

Looking at your MDapplicant profile, obviously, you are a smart and brilliant guy, and you should know better than starting things on SDN.

BYONG SOO... you are my official homie... yourmom25, don't think i dont give mad props to you too! holla at me yall! :love:

PS: Humble a WashU thread just opened up... you should go post your HUMBLE two cents... :smuggrin:

"vehement personal attacks?" she was just kidding around. that doesn't take a genius to figure out

There's another thread where the "vehement personal attacks" were taking place. My initial post was supposed to be ironic in the context of those.

And btw, FemalesCantDriv is male. No woman would have such a sexist SN, unless they were going for a sense of irony also.

ah-ha! i have no clue what's going on the other thread, so i guess i shouldn't talk any further here. but let's all be nice to each other, we are all future doctors here :)

ok go back to the washu thread and dont come back humble

ah-ha! i have no clue what's going on the other thread, so i guess i shouldn't talk any further here. but let's all be nice to each other, we are all future doctors here :)

Sounds like a plan. I'm normally a fan of civility.

ok ill be nice... the thread morale is at an all-time low... we need to hold hands and sing the duke school song or something :laugh:

... humble, you can come if you like... (see im civil)

hey Dookter,

Since u are currently at Duke, why don't you tell us more about ur experience so far...basic stuffs... like how ur classmates r like. Is it super competitive or r ppl usually nice to each other and helpful...also about the housing??? since Duke doesn't have first year dorms...do all the students have cars? is it easy to get around without one. and also how do you guys usually divide your studytime during the first year given the tight schedule .

I know some of these are basic questions that were covered during interviews, but i think i was so focused on the interview, i didn;t really take much time to think about these things. so would you mind giving us the inside scoop? pretty much things that you wish someone told you before you started. I am sure all of us wud benefit from it. Thanks in advance:)

Well, my classmates are all mostly really cool. I think everyone comes into medical school a little worried about how their classmates will be since we have to spend 4 years with these people. I might have been a little more concerned than most b/c I came into med school engaged [which is logistically a little harder to work with when trying to make a lot of new friends] and I also am not from an Ivy or Ivy-esque undergrad school. My fears were completely unfounded, but at first I felt like if tons of the students went to super prestigious [and super expensive] undergrads that I might for some reason feel out of place. I was really glad that the class seemed to come together so fast and that everyone gets along so well. We had a ton of social events at the beginning of the year [and also a 3 day campout in the mountains of WV as a class] to get to know each other, so I think that helped. As for class competitiveness, I haven't really seen any. People always send out helpful stuff, we have a class run notes group, and everyone seems to work well together. I will say, however, that others might have a slightly different impression. I was just told yesterday that two of my classmates are super competitive. I had absolutely no idea, which goes to show that any competitiveness seems to be either limited to a few people in the class or is just something that hasn't affected me.

As for housing, we do not have med student dorms. Renting an apartment is easy and cheap [I'll qualify that by saying it's cheap to most people....it is actually more expensive than where I went to undergrad]. And having a car is essential.

As for dividing study time in the first year: I am not really sure what you mean with this question. It's sort of like undergrad really. You just go to class [if you want that is], go to lab [if you want...block 3-4 labs are mandatory though], study when you have time, etc. It really isn't much different than what you're already used to doing. I'd say the main difference is that amount of attention you give things in medical school compared to undergrad. In college, we might have a few lectures that corresponded to a chapter in the book for a class like physiology. I would attend the lectures, take notes, come home and organize my notes, read the book and mark the parts that were relevant to my understanding of the notes, etc etc etc. It was a long process that involved a lot of work and attention to detail. In medical school, I pay a LOT less attention to detail. I never even take my own notes. I am in the "notes group," so I have to take notes like once every 2 months or something crazy like that where I watch the video of the lecture and write down anything important on the slides and distribute it to the class. I also will ignore a reading assignment without a thought if it is either too long or not relevant. It's something that you figure out quickly. Some classes have really great books and really worthwhile reading assignments. Others, not so much. I hope this helps answer your question at least a little. Studying in medical school is not that much different than undergrad. I do not spend tons more time on things than I did in undergrad....like I said, as the volume of work increases, my attention to detail decreases. This approach has worked great all year b/c most of the time I spend my time focusing on what is actually important instead of working my butt off to not miss a single detail buried somewhere in a huge book so that I can get into a good med school....ha ha ha.

As for general advice, I'd say just come prepared to work hard. But also come prepared to have fun. I cannot emphasize that second point enough. Find a hobby that you can continue in med school. Find something to keep you happy and healthy. Wherever you go to school next year, remember that you're living your life right now, not sometime in the future. Maintain your hobbies. And if you come to Duke, RELAX in block 1!!!!! Make sure to pay attention and learn your stuff, but RELAX. It is easy, the tests are easy, etc etc etc. I worked 3 times too hard in block 1 and STILL chilled out a ton. Now I wish I would have chilled out 3 times more. Ha ha ha.

Duke's a cool place, and I'm glad that you guy/girls seem to like it to much. I'm REALLY happy I came here, and I know you'll find your niche here no matter what you want to do/be when this whole process is over.

Actually, I think HumbleMD would fit right in at Duke :laugh:

I kid, I kid...

...says the ex-Duke undergrad...

Don't listen to WholeLottaGame, kids. He's just sensitive because he chose the wrong school.

Haha. Yeah, why don't you go hang out on the UNC thread? Oh, wait, cuz there isn't one, because people don't like UNC as much as they like DUKE!! Sucka.

Duke accepts a lot of people and has a high amount of waitlist movement (I believe they accept over 250 ppl to fill 100, and they still take some off the waitlist...hopkins actually has a similar high acceptance lot.... most people postulate that it boils down to location).

I remember many second years telling me this on my interview day.

its good to hear that a lot of people really fell in love with the school. its probably the most modernized curriculuum out there (arguably even more than penn).

hey stolenspatulas, is duke ure #1 pick???

Duke accepts a lot of people and has a high amount of waitlist movement (I believe they accept over 250 ppl to fill 100)
I think this estimate is a bit high. For our class, including waitlistees they accepted 190 for a class of 102 (a few of which were carryovers from the original class of 2009- so I guess it's more like 190 for 99 spots).

Haha. Yeah, why don't you go hang out on the UNC thread? Oh, wait, cuz there isn't one, because people don't like UNC as much as they like DUKE!! Sucka.

Maybe it's because we're too cool to still be on SDN. Wait a minute...

correct me if im wrong, but i believe they interview ~1000
yikes the odds are pretty low :(

I think this estimate is a bit high. For our class, including waitlistees they accepted 190 for a class of 102 (a few of which were carryovers from the original class of 2009- so I guess it's more like 190 for 99 spots).

this is what some second years told me when i visited. maybe they were talking about their year? maybe its been fluctuating some per year? I also thought the number was kind of high.

Yours seems more reasonable.

Yeah, I heard Duke consistently accepts just under 200 people to fill a class of 100 when I interviewed there. Guess you can partially thank the "Super Secondary" for that :)

correct me if im wrong, but i believe they interview ~1000
yikes the odds are pretty low :(

According to MSAR 2007-2008, the total number of candidates interviewed at Duke was 780 from a pool of 5076 applicants. The number of matriculants was 101. MSAR as many know does not report the number of applicants accepted, only those that matriculated..USNEWS 2007 however reports that Duke interviewed 1024 applicants from a pool of 5042 applicants, accepted 222 applicants and 101 of those enrolled...It is kind of odd that MSAR and USNEWS differ by almost 300 on the number of interviewees so I guess it is somewhere in between those two. But either way, I agree the odds are pretty low( approx. 20% of those interviewed are accepted from the numbers I have seen)...here's to hoping! good luck everyone! should we start a countdown until probable decision day(early march) or does that just add to the torture?

When I interviewed, Dr. Armstrong said they were interviewing ~600 this year... which sounds very low, but it may have something to do with the application delays this year? I didn't ask.

According to USNews, Duke interviewed 1,024 applicants and accepted 222 of them for the Fall of 2005. On the DukeMed website, it only shows stats for the 2002 entering class, and states that 847 students were interviewed on-campus, 72 regionally interviewed, and 101 matriculated. I haven't been able to find any solid data from more recent years.

So, based on that and the other information posted on this thread, it seems like Duke is interviewing 600-1000 applicants, and will accept somewhere between 200-250. Meaning, odds post-interview seem to fall somewhere between 20-40%... sounds about par for most top 10 schools.

hey! its so great to hear so much excitement about duke. i hope that we all get in come march. i was out of town this weekend and its nice to know that we're 2 days closer to hearing from duke.

cardiologist -- congrats on your acceptance. have you started looking for apartments yet?

20 days until march 4th when they are supposed to start sending them out... :luck:

hey! its so great to hear so much excitement about duke. i hope that we all get in come march. i was out of town this weekend and its nice to know that we're 2 days closer to hearing from duke.

cardiologist -- congrats on your acceptance. have you started looking for apartments yet?

Hey guys,

Thanks to all the current Duke students for all the advice. I appreciate it alot. I am sure we'll need some more after the acceptances start rolling in March.

Aerodivya, I haven't started looking for apartments yet. just one day, I was randomly looking at Craigslist because i was bored at work to get an idea of the price range. But i remember during my interview, some students mentioned that during second look weekend current students talk about possible housing options. I always wondered how people end up being roommates right as a first year given we'll hardly know each other. I GUESS one can live alone, but it wud be much cheaper and nicer sharing (given you have a good, undersatnding roommate). and also it's nice to have some friends around.

When I interviewed, Dr. Armstrong said they were interviewing ~600 this year... which sounds very low, but it may have something to do with the application delays this year? I didn't ask.

According to USNews, Duke interviewed 1,024 applicants and accepted 222 of them for the Fall of 2005. On the DukeMed website, it only shows stats for the 2002 entering class, and states that 847 students were interviewed on-campus, 72 regionally interviewed, and 101 matriculated. I haven't been able to find any solid data from more recent years.

So, based on that and the other information posted on this thread, it seems like Duke is interviewing 600-1000 applicants, and will accept somewhere between 200-250. Meaning, odds post-interview seem to fall somewhere between 20-40%... sounds about par for most top 10 schools.

Can anyone else confirm ~600? It seems low, although if it has anything to do with their delays, it makes sense...

Can anyone else confirm ~600? It seems low, although if it has anything to do with their delays, it makes sense...

hehe yea~ if anyone of you are going to Duke interview next couple of weeks and ask Dr. Armstrong, that would be uber awesome :D

I have nothing to base this on, but I really doubt it's this low. I've talked with Erin, the admissions office administrative assistant, and he's told me that they actually had more applications this year than in years past, despite all the computer problems. And since they extended both the secondary deadline as well as the interview season in general, I think they will still interview between 800 and 1000 (which is what they usually interview). Just my thoughts, though.

I have nothing to base this on, but I really doubt it's this low. I've talked with Erin, the admissions office administrative assistant, and he's told me that they actually had more applications this year than in years past, despite all the computer problems. And since they extended both the secondary deadline as well as the interview season in general, I think they will still interview between 800 and 1000 (which is what they usually interview). Just my thoughts, though.

I love Erin! He's so helpful and fun:) . That's all I had to say, nothing useful bout Duke Admissions over here, sorry :laugh:

I interviewed 2/9 and was told they received about 6000 primaries, only 2800 submitted secondaries, and they were interviewing about 600 people.

Thanks AnEyeLikeMars! That means better odds for us than other years!
*high five*

20 days until march 4th when they are supposed to start sending them out... :luck:

I am glad someone started a countdown! when you put it that way, it doesn't seem too far off at all..not sure if this makes me more or less anxious...I am surprised by the lower turn-in of secondaries..maybe due to the delay and the fact that it might be the most extensive secondary of any medical school....oh well, it was well worth it! (holding breath starting...now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.