• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok, this is probably a very dumb question but I haven't been able to find an answer to this on the school's webpages. I see that Ross has a lot of rotation sites and am curious how long you spend at each rotation? I've heard that you might be at one place for 5 weeks then another place for 5 weeks. Does that mean moving around every month or so for the next 2.5 years? Can you do a rotation at one place for most of that time?

Oh, and coincidentally, do ANY of the Big 4 have rotation sites in Utah?

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So no one knows the answer to that?

My question is simply this, once I come out of the Caribbean, will I have to spend the next 2.5 years jumping from place to place every 5 weeks? Can I live in the same city for the next 2.5 years?

Also, is there anything you need to look out for when considering rotation sites? Do the sites have to be ACGME certified? What exactly is that? What is LCME certified? Is there any other kind of certification you have to look out for?

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Somewhere in the Colon (Any rotation)
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ok, this is probably a very dumb question but I haven't been able to find an answer to this on the school's webpages. I see that Ross has a lot of rotation sites and am curious how long you spend at each rotation? I've heard that you might be at one place for 5 weeks then another place for 5 weeks. Does that mean moving around every month or so for the next 2.5 years? Can you do a rotation at one place for most of that time?

Oh, and coincidentally, do ANY of the Big 4 have rotation sites in Utah?

A rotation depends on the school, my school the rotations are 12 weeks and the time spent at the site depends on the rotation, you may be oncall at the hospital with your preceptor for 48 to 72 hours.
Think "Doctor" when it comes to rotations that the kind of schedules you will have.........................

About the Ads

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

My question is simply this, once I come out of the Caribbean, will I have to spend the next 2.5 years jumping from place to place every 5 weeks? Can I live in the same city for the next 2.5 years?

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Monsoon I answered your question but lets take a look here:

1. Clinicals are not standardized by any means except the amount of time you must spend in them
2. No school in the Caribbean (unless they Lie to you) can guarantee clinicals in one city, don't like that then forget studying medicine unless you can get into a US school.
3. Residency again is also something that is not guaranteed you may end up in some state you never dreamed of to get the residency.

This is Medicine and it's not for everyone. We all have to put up with this to be Docs or we do something else..............................................

By the way Clinicals are 2 years not 2.5?

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Excuse my ignorance oldpro. I don't meant to come off as rude. You've been very helpful in answering my questions. Thank you.

How about we use a hypothetical? That might help me understand better. Say I am just getting done with my 5th semester at Ross. I am just beginning my rotations and I start one in Chicago at one hospital.

First Stupid Question:
Do I HAVE to change to another hospital or can I finish my entire rotation in that hospital?

Second Stupid Question:
If I do HAVE to change hospitals/rotations site, can I not choose another hospital in the Chicago area? That way I won't have to move every 5 weeks.

Third Stupid Question:
If people who go to the Caribbean change rotation sites every 5 weeks, for those two years you would move about 22 times!!! Thats 22 different rotation sites.

Fourth Stupid Question:
I am guessing that your CORE Rotation Site is like home base. You are based at that site but can rotate to other sites. So say I get into that same site in Chicago, I could stay there the majority of my time and rotate elsewhere when I needed to right? Am I off base here? Is it kinda like you do rotations at your CORE Rotation Site, with the electives/selectives at other hospitals throughout the country?

Fifth Stupid Question:
Do the doctors you work with at the rotation sites look down upon Caribbean meds? Is there a really bad stigma attached to Caribbean meds?

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Monsoon you are calling these stupid I did not, I'm telling you that there are no good answers to Cores in one place, most get rotations in one to two different places but there are no guarantees on this and you could have to go to different site during the 2 years. Thats the breaks, years ago one of the Big 4 had everyone go to England for rotations due to Stateside was full. so yeah they can tell you a lot of things but then change it in a Heartbeat. You just have to sacrafice at times. I know I have and will continue till done.

No school expects nor will require you to move every five weeks ( whats this 5 weeks thing? Rotations are 12 weeks) You stay in one area for each semester. Look you probably would get everything in one place at some schools most of the time but sometimes it just doesn't happen, you are not in Medschool yet I gather so it's 1.5 to 2 years away before you would do this, just Damm hard to tell.

No most of the time in clinicals its individual, if the students are stupid yeah they are looked down upon but if youre bright and do well then no.

dr aaron

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Monsoon, the only way i know of to get all of your cores in one place is going to the u.k......I'm a student at St. Matthews and they have the option of going to london for 1 year to do your cores so that you dont have to move around....since the rotations are greenbook and i wont have to move around im going to do it, for fourth year electives i have connections back home so im doing all of them in my home city.......look into doing this if you want to avoid the hassel of moving around for a year, hope this helps

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.