dumb question, how do you know if you have an IA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CloverBale

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot on this forum people finding out that they have an "institutional action" after they applied to med school. To avoid this, how do I check if I have anything against me? Where would it say? On my transcript or? I know, dumb question.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. SAME THING crossed my mind after viewing those threads. I instantly remembered 5 years ago when a professor pulled me outside because he suspected I "had a lot of help writing a paper". He went on to ask me to define some words that I used and told me to use them in a sentence. He told me if I didn't ace the in class written final that I would get an F in the course for cheating. Never heard from him after the final and forgot about that incident until those posts.

I figure if you have an IA you were talked to by a dean or a committee? I dunno.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol. SAME THING crossed my mind after viewing those threads. I instantly remembered 5 years ago when a professor pulled me outside because he suspected I "had a lot of help writing a paper". He went on to ask me to define some words that I used and told me to use them in a sentence. He told me if I didn't ace the in class written final that I would get an F in the course. Never heard from him after the final and forgot about that incident until those posts.

I figure if you have an IA you were talked to by a dean or a committee? I dunno.
LOL same. I got a warning from the gym in my school for trying to sneak in a friend lmfao.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL!!

I didn't even know what an IA was in when saw those posts. I had to google it, and finding an answer wasn't easy! Anyhow, if you're neurotic like me and had a day nightmare of finding out you have an IA days before starting med school and getting your acceptance yanked back. . . you can request your student/academic conduct report from your school (I forgot if that's what its actually called, but I requested mine yesterday!).

LOL!!

I didn't even know what an IA was in when saw those posts. I had to google it, and finding an answer wasn't easy! Anyhow, if you're neurotic like me and had a day nightmare of finding out you have an IA days before starting med school and getting your acceptance yanked back. . . you can request your student/academic conduct report from your school (I forgot if that's what its actually called, but I requested mine yesterday!).
Oh nice! I emailed my dean, hopefully he'll get back to me lol. But I'm also getting a copy of my official transcript from my school soon, so it should be there no?

I have an academic conduct on my transcript for my scholarship requirements being waived or something lol

Oh nice! I emailed my dean, hopefully he'll get back to me lol. But I'm also getting a copy of my official transcript from my school soon, so it should be there no?

I assumed it would until I read a comment yesterday that said something like, "Do you really think the official transcript your school gives you is the same as the school to school official transcript?"

lmfao, I just read my school's rule of conduct, and that even if you have a violation, that information is completely confidential. Med schools would have to request a copy and you'd have to sign a release form. lol

I assumed it would until I read a comment yesterday that said something like, "Do you really think the official transcript your school gives you is the same as the school to school official transcript?"
WTF it better be!!!

Omg you're in CA? Are you Southern Cali? I am

To be fair I really think the whole "discovering I have an IA" later on is sort of ridiculous. I mean, if you just discovered it, how would med school even know if you didn't even know? And let's say they do find out, doubt they're gonna take you out of their school for an IA, especially if it's for something stupid. I mean, like how petty can they get? lol. I mean I get it, don't lie, but hell, if I was never on this website, I would never have even blinked an eye at "IA". Probably would never looked into it. Like how sad would that be to find out later? You would just never know. Especially if it's for things like dorm rooms.

I'm thinking people would HAVE to know if they received one. I read on that dorm room thread that the school actually has to take action against you. So, that helped.

You have a right to examine your school record. You just request it and note that it is your right under "FERPA". (look it up, it is a federal law/regulation regarding privacy of academic records). If you are in school and have had an IA it will be there in your "permanent record". If it was there and your school policy, or your own efforts, had it erased after a period of time, you are still obligated to report it.

Don't guess... check. Honesty goes a long way in this business so be honest. People who are ignorant of their history or their obligations (or who lie by claiming to be ignorant) don't do well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users