IA description

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I do have an IA on record which happened first semester of freshman year (2020) and I will be applying this cycle [it's been about 3+ years since that incident]. I was looking to get advice from admissions advisors/experts on how I should describe it. I know the right way is to simply be upfront and honest. I am trying to not make any excuses nor deflect responsibility but after reading my IA description it looks like I am writing something generic. I am pasting the draft of the IA essay here and I was wondering if I could get any additional feedback or other details I should mention/describe that would help adcoms better evaluate me. Thank you.

STATS - 3.95, 518

This is what I have written so far -

During the first semester of college, I uploaded my chemistry lab report on an online portfolio which was easily accessible to the public. I did not pay attention to the settings nor realize that all my lab materials and notes were discoverable. I corrected my mistake the following day, but my lab professor reprimanded me for violating the Code of Conduct by uploading my report online. Even though it was my own work, it was considered a violation of uploading course materials since the lab report was reproduced from the professor’s lab materials. Due to the pandemic, I attended my first year online and it was a difficult format to learn. I understand there was a lack of communication and awareness on my part, and I should have been more careful concerning the use of the internet. Since this incident, I have talked to my professor about the appropriate usage of the internet and have become more vigilant about my assignments and careful with everything I access through the internet. I have learned to pay careful attention to detail; I made an effort to learn the different university policies and improved communication with my professors to stay informed about course policies. This incident was an important lesson to pay close attention to and to always be mindful of the internet.

Members don't see this ad.

I do have an IA on record which happened first semester of freshman year (2020) and I will be applying this cycle [it's been about 3+ years since that incident]. I was looking to get advice from admissions advisors/experts on how I should describe it.
Have you run it through your student conduct dean? You are likely redacting key details (for appropriate confidential reasons) on this forum, and your description needs to match what is on record for you in the student conduct office. You need to include the specific violation, your punishment/sanctions, and specific corrections you have made to not commit this violation.

In this description, I don't understand why this "public setting" issue violated your University Code of Conduct. I understand things were weird at the onset of the pandemic 4 years ago. However, I know teachers are very specific when it comes to instructions, and there needs to be a better reason why this is an integrity violation. In short, you make it sound like it's trivial, and a connection to a specific violation of your University Code of Conduct is not clear (this sounds capricious by the professor).

Should you be accepted, I would ask your Student Conduct Dean for a description of the violation. If the description does not match what you wrote when it comes to details, my admissions leadership would debate to rescind an offer.

Being specific means, "I uploaded my lab report to Write My Lab Report For Me | Lab Report Writing Service ..."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You need to include the specific violation, your punishment/sanctions, and specific corrections you have made to not commit this violation.
That is the violation that happened. I am confused by what you mean by being specific. Could you elaborate? Like I don't know how specific I need to be. I do plan on contacting the student contact office to accurately record the incident.

By uploaded a report, I mean I just stored my lab reports/notes (that I created myself) on a publicly available portfolio. There was an option to private it but I never noticed that option. The code I violated was -> Unauthorized uploading/downloading of course materials without the instructor's permission. While I did argue that it was my own work that I had uploaded but not the lab professor's, the professor was of the opinion that since those lab reports were derived from the lab materials and could be used by people on the internet (maybe violating copyright laws). I don't want to make it sound trivial. I understand how even my own materials can be misused if they are publicly accessible and perhaps it constitutes trying to help other students but that was not the specific violation I was cited for. As a freshman, I didn't want to fight the violation with the professor just because of some technicality. Does this help? Should I be mentioning so much in my IA essay?
I did have a grading penalty and a reprimand (from an A to B+).

Side Note - many students had complaints against this lab professor because he was unnecessarily harsh on students when it came to online learning and he left the school the following year.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
That is the violation that happened. I am confused by what you mean by being specific. Could you elaborate? Like I don't know how specific I need to be. I do plan on contacting the student contact office to accurately record the incident.

By uploaded a report, I mean I just stored my lab reports/notes (that I created myself) on a publicly available portfolio. There was an option to private it but I never noticed that option. The code I violated was -> Unauthorized uploading/downloading of course materials without the instructor's permission. While I did argue that it was my own work that I had uploaded but not the lab professor's, the professor was of the opinion that since those lab reports were derived from the lab materials and could be used by people on the internet (maybe violating copyright laws). I don't want to make it sound trivial. I understand how even my own materials can be misused if they are publicly accessible and perhaps it constitutes trying to help other students but that was not the specific violation I was cited for. As a freshman, I didn't want to fight the violation with the professor just because of some technicality. Does this help? Should I be mentioning so much in my IA essay?
I did have a grading penalty and a reprimand (from an A to B+).

Side Note - many students had complaints against this lab professor because he was unnecessarily harsh on students when it came to online learning and he left the school the following year.
Don’t blame the teacher! This is not “owning your mistake.”
Your initial description is pretty good but too long, trim down the second half.

Reactions: 5 users
Don’t blame the teacher! This is not “owning your mistake.
Your initial description is pretty good but too long, trim down the second half.
You are right. I never meant to blame the teacher. He acted according to what he deemed was wrong and I completely understand. I was just trying to provide context.

Have you run it through your student conduct dean? You are likely redacting key details (for appropriate confidential reasons) on this forum, and your description needs to match what is on record for you in the student conduct office. You need to include the specific violation, your punishment/sanctions, and specific corrections you have made to not commit this violation.

In this description, I don't understand why this "public setting" issue violated your University Code of Conduct. I understand things were weird at the onset of the pandemic 4 years ago. However, I know teachers are very specific when it comes to instructions, and there needs to be a better reason why this is an integrity violation. In short, you make it sound like it's trivial, and a connection to a specific violation of your University Code of Conduct is not clear (this sounds capricious by the professor).

Should you be accepted, I would ask your Student Conduct Dean for a description of the violation. If the description does not match what you wrote when it comes to details, my admissions leadership would debate to rescind an offer.

Being specific means, "I uploaded my lab report to Write My Lab Report For Me | Lab Report Writing Service ..."
I don't mean to bother you too much but when it comes to this IA, how much will it affect my chances of getting accepted or getting interview invites? I know IAs are a red flag but I was wondering if there are particular schools I should avoid applying to. Thanks so much for the advice.

I don't mean to bother you too much but when it comes to this IA, how much will it affect my chances of getting accepted or getting interview invites? I know IAs are a red flag but I was wondering if there are particular schools I should avoid applying to. Thanks so much for the advice.
Until we know exactly how you violated your Student Code of Conduct to warrant the IA, it's too hard to say. Some schools might take a quick review of what you wrote and make a decision independent of your file review. Others will take more time.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds relatively small to me, as academic IA go. I don’t think it will have much effect on your application.

Did the instructor handle this on his own, just between the two of you or did he send you to an academic conduct board? Is there something in your academic record stating that you violated academic integrity (you have a right under a federal law called "FERPA" to examine your academic record. If there was never any record of misconduct, if the professor kept it between the two of you, then you need not report it. If it does appear in your file -- or was ever on file even if the file was erased later, then it does need to be reported.

You might say,
In 2020, when I was a freshman, all of our classes were online. I uploaded a lab report into the Course Management System used by my school but failed to notice that the privacy setting was set to Public rather than Private. This meant that anyone could access my lab report through the internet and this was deemed a violation of academic integrity policies. As a result, I received a grade of __ for the course rather than a grade of __. This experience made me more vigilant about internet privacy settings and more careful in my use of computer software.

Reactions: 7 users
Did the instructor handle this on his own, just between the two of you or did he send you to an academic conduct board? Is there something in your academic record stating that you violated academic integrity (you have a right under a federal law called "FERPA" to examine your academic record. If there was never any record of misconduct, if the professor kept it between the two of you, then you need not report it. If it does appear in your file -- or was ever on file even if the file was erased later, then it does need to be reported.

You might say,
In 2020, when I was a freshman, all of our classes were online. I uploaded a lab report into the Course Management System used by my school but failed to notice that the privacy setting was set to Public rather than Private. This meant that anyone could access my lab report through the internet and this was deemed a violation of academic integrity policies. As a result, I received a grade of __ for the course rather than a grade of __. This experience made me more vigilant about internet privacy settings and more careful in my use of computer software.
Thank you for your response. I was unfortunately cited for academic misconduct. How detailed should my IA essay be? When medical schools ask for conduct records from my college, what information is given out to the medical schools? I am asking this because I don't want to misrepresent or leave out details of the incident - I will request the conduct office for more information.

Thank you for your response. I was unfortunately cited for academic misconduct. How detailed should my IA essay be? When medical schools ask for conduct records from my college, what information is given out to the medical schools? I am asking this because I don't want to misrepresent or leave out details of the incident - I will request the conduct office for more information.
I gave you a sample of what you can write under the header of Institutional Action.

What is given out will be in your academic record and you have a right to see that record. (Although you can, and would be advised to, waive your right to see any letters sent by the school at your request.) Ask to see the record so that you know what the school is reporting and do your best to be succinct but mirroring what the school has on record.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, unless you're lying/misrepresenting in your description, the fact this is an IA at all is insane. You didn't do anything wrong, you just didn't know how Canvas worked.

Again, maybe we're missing something here. I get why that professor was upset, but you weren't trying to rob the guy, you were just trying to do your homework.

Said professor should have relaxed instead of going after their student.......

Edit: what was the purpose of uploading online to begin with?

Reactions: 1 user
The older you get, the more you realize IA's are generally nothing.

The only time I think an IA matters is if you cheat, and the style of cheating is so incredibly stupid that it makes you facepalm.

An example of this would be like writing answers down on a desk at an area you are taking an exam.

There are too many petty IA's, which make me feel like they exist almost to fill some quota.

Where the line should be drawn for acceptance should be violent felonies and DUI's.

The only time I think an IA matters is if you cheat, and the style of cheating is so incredibly stupid that it makes you facepalm.

An example of this would be like writing answers down on a desk at an area you are taking an exam.

There are too many petty IA's, which make me feel like they exist almost to fill some quota.

Where the line should be drawn for acceptance should be violent felonies and DUI's.

Stealing from fellow students would be on my "no way" list.

Much of the rest does need to be examined in a holistic manner.

Stealing from fellow students would be on my "no way" list.

Much of the rest does need to be examined in a holistic manner.
True, it would be hard to quickly go through every scenario.

I guess my overarching point is that when I was younger, I would overthink any mishaps.

In reality, most people are pretty understanding unless its a violent felony, DUI, or things obvious out of line like stealing from those around you.

I saw a kid from a Christian college one time who had an IA for going to a bar for a friend's Bday.

He didn't even have a drink, he got in trouble just for standing in a bar with his friend........

• Care
I saw a kid from a Christian college one time who had an IA for going to a bar for a friend's Bday.

He didn't even have a drink, he got in trouble just for standing in a bar with his friend........
Ya I'd have taken any IA pretty hard around the age 18-22. At those ages you're still in the mindset that any IA puts you at an exuberant disadvantage to things like getting accepted to medical school, or things like residency/jobs later for things like speeding tickets, etc...At least I would have anyway.

But as you get older you realize minor issues like that can happen and most people are fairly understanding in any process of accepting students/residents/attendings, etc.

Most adcoms are going to ask themselves, "would we want someone here in our academic community who did that? Some IAs and criminal activities are a bump in the road but not a road block. Others will get a "no, not ever!" from the adcom. Each adcom might respond differently to the same scenario given their own perspectives and biases.

• Hmm
since the lab report was reproduced from the professor’s lab materials

This part is confusing me. If you created the content for the lab report on your own (without plagiarizing) then how could this be a violation of the honor code? Did you cut and paste copyrighted material into your lab report?

What exactly did you reproduce? And how similar was it to what the professor gave you? To a reader, it almost sounds like you were guilty of plagiarism but are trying to skirt around the issue.

I know this is probably not what happened, so make your explanation more clear.

I suspect that sharing the lab experiment on which the lab report was based was the basis for claiming copyright infringement. That said, posting something online for all to see could be an unauthorized sharing of an assignment that others could copy and submit as their own, almost like letting your friend use your laptop and they can see what you've saved, swipe it and submit it as their own work. I remember having a case like this once and the thief submitted the assignment ahead of the victim which made the victim look like the guilty party who copied another's work.

• Wow