Dumb question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychEpathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, this may sound stupid, but does someone entertaining the possibility of dental school not have a shot if they are absolutely terrible with their hands? I am terrible with my hands! My hands are also much bigger than most other people's. I'd probably have a hard time as a dentist, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, I sort of disagree. Manual dexterity is something you actually can improve on, I think. In addition, usually you are using instruments rather than your hands on a patient... I'm sure there are some things that may be easier with smaller hands, but I don't think that would necessarily be a limiting factor in practicing dentistry. Offhand, I can't even think of much where smaller hands would be extremely beneficial (though I've only observed and assisted from time to time in the field.) Good luck if you decide to go for it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Or you could also do something that will help to improve manual dexterity, ie sculpting, electronics, etc. Take a course (some schools offer weekend non-graded courses for working adults), if you have time

I agree with what people have said but will add that there is a difference between people who are terrible with their hands and can learn and those that can't learn.

You should put your hands to the test. Try to learn something that takes manual dexterity, concentration, etc. Ceramic pottery is a case and point. I taught ceramics for years, and a lot of people came into the class with horrible hand skills, many never having put the skills to the test much. Very quickly some learned to improve their manual abilities while others never did. Some times the ence was persistence, but not always.

You could be either type. The dentist mentioned above was probably the latter (bad hand skills - cannot improve easily) but you might not be.

Do you think playing video games helps? I need a reason to buy the new Playstation III that my wife would believe

Do you think playing video games helps? I need a reason to buy the new Playstation III that my wife would believe

I actually do think it helps. Whenever I would go on my Halo 2 splurges it seemed like my hand was a little steadier. Requires a lot of hand eye coordination and fine motor skills even if it is abstract. Its probably not going to do miracles, but Id say it helps a little.

**Enough to warrent you a new PSIII id say :D

Try piano lessons or guitar lessons. I've been playing piano since I was 6 and guitar for a few years. It's great for control.

have you tried whining and saying that all the other guys' wives let them buy there PS III and if you don't get one you'll look like a loser?

I actually do think it helps. Whenever I would go on my Halo 2 splurges it seemed like my hand was a little steadier. Requires a lot of hand eye coordination and fine motor skills even if it is abstract. Its probably not going to do miracles, but Id say it helps a little.

**Enough to warrent you a new PSIII id say :D

Ahh, grown up X-generation find that they're missing. . . video games.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

try doing the same exercise with intermediate difficulty. keep doing it over and over and see if u have improved and are quicker. if you learn from your mistakes of your previous attempts and actually DO improve, then you should be fine.

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I got lots of ideas from them!

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I got lots of ideas from them!

Remember that "there are no stupid questions just stupid people" - Mr. Garrison

i was readin this thread and was thinking "yes, i don't gotta worry bout this, i have small hands" then i looked at my hands and was like :scared:

size dont' matter.. unless ur hands are super small or super HUGE