During real test, can I leave before a timer finishes and add to the break time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infinitidoug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I finish a section early, can I leave the computer early and add the remaining time to the 10 minute break?

Ex: If I finish PS with 15min on the timer, can I leave the computer and have a 25min break? :D

Members don't see this ad.

yes, but for obvious reasons, that time would be better spent reviewing answer choices...

Outstanding! Thanks! For me, my gut answer is more often right than wrong for questions I have more trouble with. So, I'm trying to trust my gut more and I have seen good results in my scores; like an increase from a 12 to 13 or 14 for a section

But if someone sees you leave with the section still open, they could hop onto your computer and change your answers.

Maybe that would be a reason for the AAMC to give you another test for FREE after you get a crummy score back. Ha ha.

#paranoidbehavior

Members don't see this ad :)
Break times are so short. They give u 10 mins, but its more like 3-4. It took me about 2-3 mins to check out, because there was a line. Then 2-3 mins to check back in. So basically my real break was around 3-4 mins. And I ate my snack reallyyy fast because of this. No time for the bathroom either :(

Break times are so short. They give u 10 mins, but its more like 3-4. It took me about 2-3 mins to check out, because there was a line. Then 2-3 mins to check back in. So basically my real break was around 3-4 mins. And I ate my snack reallyyy fast because of this. No time for the bathroom either :(

You do realize that the test doesn't start immediately at the end of 10 minutes. You could have taken your time outside and been fine.

Also, you're exaggerating the wait times unless you took the test in the busiest testing center of all time..

You do realize that the test doesn't start immediately at the end of 10 minutes. You could have taken your time outside and been fine.

Also, you're exaggerating the wait times unless you took the test in the busiest testing center of all time..

I took it in Dallas. There were people checking in when I had my first break.

In my experience, the next section does start after the break ends. During my first mcat test, I lost 3 minutes for BS because it went over. Fortunately, BS is my strongest section and I finished with time to spare. Idk if it's just an unlucky experience, but I don't want that to happen again, especially for verbal

In my experience, the next section does start after the break ends. During my first mcat test, I lost 3 minutes for BS because it went over. Fortunately, BS is my strongest section and I finished with time to spare. Idk if it's just an unlucky experience, but I don't want that to happen again, especially for verbal

well then someone ran over to your screen and hit the button to start for you? idk..

I've sat there for quite a few minutes myself to relax before the next section.. it never moved past the instructions screen.

You are allowed to just leave when you're done and having a longer than 10min break but I don't advise it.

I don't think other students are that mean/evil to attempt to change your answers. Plus there are cameras in the testing room.

When I did leave, the proctor did ask if I was on break screen.