Dyed Hair as a Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emcatb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student between my first and second years of medical school - enjoying my summer before the pain of boards studying starts! I currently have my natural dark blonde hair color but I can't stop thinking about dying my hair a fun color - specifically purple. I realize this isn't really a professional choice and obviously won't fly in the clinical setting as a student so is now the time to try it as all I am doing is studying anyway? Or is it just a really bad idea since I will be interacting with clinical faculty who may judge me for it and standardized patients who might complain about it? Is now my last chance? Or has the time already passed for that? Are there any docs out there that have brightly dyed hair? Is there a safer middle ground if I only get a couple streaks? Should I just do it quick while summer's still here and dye it back before classes start up? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a medical student between my first and second years of medical school - enjoying my summer before the pain of boards studying starts! I currently have my natural dark blonde hair color but I can't stop thinking about dying my hair a fun color - specifically purple. I realize this isn't really a professional choice and obviously won't fly in the clinical setting as a student so is now the time to try it as all I am doing is studying anyway? Or is it just a really bad idea since I will be interacting with clinical faculty who may judge me for it and standardized patients who might complain about it? Is now my last chance? Or has the time already passed for that? Are there any docs out there that have brightly dyed hair? Is there a safer middle ground if I only get a couple streaks? Should I just do it quick while summer's still here and dye it back before classes start up? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
tumblr_inline_milvttSjRv1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it. Just dye it a more neutral color once rotations start 3rd year. I dyed mine a bright red/purple at the beginning of my 2nd year and dyed it back blonde before starting rotations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You don't know the type of judgmental egocentric dinguses you are dealing with in this profession. The rule is simple: If you think it could be viewed negatively, don't do it.

Reactions: 3 users
its a **** field that discriminates their own yet pretends that there is no discrimination between patients...

Reactions: 4 users
Us millenials lack common sense...

Do not do anything that draws you out from the crowd.

I like listening to gangsta rap and rapping about xanax and purple drank...

does that mean I do it or I promote it in any shape or form?

HELLLLL no.

For all my classmates know, I absolutely love Coldplay and the Goo goo dolls.

It sucks but you have to put on a front at all times. That's how you get through medicine.

PS.

It seems like nowadays that every chick dyes their hair with a mix or blonde and black and stupid vibrant color feathers in there time to time ... it's a trend... I get it. But it screamssss "Look at me... I'm a basic bish".

Just like every dude does the Leonardo combover. We get it homie. You saw Brad Pitt in Fury... you saw Wolf of Wallstreet and think you will pull bishes with the same style. Lolol

Be professional goddamn it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why tho?

Reactions: 1 users
Yes.
You'd be considered unprofessional at my school, and unprofessionalism has grounds for repercussions.
Plenty of people had wild hair at my school. They toned it down for the clinical years, but it was fine in preclinical.

Reactions: 3 users

HELLLLL no.

It sucks but you have to put on a front at all times. That's how you get through medicine.

PS.

It seems like nowadays that every chick dyes their hair with a mix or blonde and black and stupid vibrant color feathers in there time to time ... it's a trend... I get it. But it screamssss "Look at me... I'm a basic bish".

Just like every dude does the douchebag combover.

Goo goo dolls and grape drank? Please tell me you're not spoken for lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HELLLLL no.

PS.

I got that comb over and fade though brah :[

Goo goo dolls and grape drank? Please tell me you're not spoken for lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single until I can find another educated freak who listens to the same music I do and can relate to me and my stupid ratchet puns at times. ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's the same basic idea as not wearing khakis, a button down, and a blazer for interviews. Sure it may be your idea of "dress clothes", but to the interviewer and others you'll stick out like a sore thumb who can't follow directions/needs to stand out. You could dye it from brown to blonde and the other way around, but bright purple or green would simply look unprofessional.

Seems like people can do whatever they want preclinical years. Clinical years is Risk to Benefit. If you will enjoy it so much that it outweighs the potential (probable, even if only mildly) negative perception from others then go for it.

Read your student handbook. My school specifically states no colored hair that is unnatural. When you are attending, break the rules.

Plenty of people had wild hair at my school. They toned it down for the clinical years, but it was fine in preclinical.

Some definitely had wilder hair. No purple at my school though, just that unnatural red that people like. During preclinicals, I'd do it if I really wanted to.

Read your student handbook. My school specifically states no colored hair that is unnatural. When you are attending, break the rules.

Definitely check the handbook first. Some people are really sticklers.

That said, I'd absolutely tone it down during rotations.

Also, definitely feel free after residency to be however you want to be. Some people will be turned off to it, but most of your patients might be OK with it depending on where you are. It might depend on your specialty though.

HELLLLL no.

PS.

This post. Salty.

A friend of mine had a very small and wide Mohawk. They made his shave or before he was allowed to interact with standardized patients.

You're confusing common sense and maturity with saltiness.

Prime example of why my generation is going to hell in a handbasket.
I'll admit your original post did get me some laughs. I do agree that dying hair some vibrant color is a poor decision and looks silly at best.

You also seem wrapped in pre-conceived notions, aka your "douchebag" comment simply due to one style of haircut. I've met plenty of people who belong to certain sects that others would claim to be a certainty of words, yet they have been nothing but the opposite. Maybe you should listen to your own advice about maturity.

It is what it is mane. Still respect you and got love for you Chi! Fwiw I went back and expounded a bit.

Last edited:
came here because I heard some punk is talking smack about the combover

As others have said, check you school handbook before you commit to some wild color. I know my school has a specific provision under "professionalism" disallowing "unnatural" hair colors.

Do whatever it takes to enjoy your life while you can.

As your med school career progresses you'll find that this becomes harder and harder to do.