Dyslexia and Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgonka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I have a friend who has severe dyslexia, and is looking to apply to medical school. He has been able to maintain really good grades, has the EC's, volunteer work, and research experience that would be necessary to apply. However, he is currently having a problem with AMCAS approving his need to have the MCAT read to him. My question is does anyone know of any medical schools that are more willing to accept a dyslexic student? Also will they be willing to look pass a lower MCAT score, or even exempt him from taking the MCAT. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Before you get that far, it might be worth calling to ask if dyslexia is a disease that qualifies for aid with the USMLE licensing exams (Step 1-3). This National Board of Medical Examinations is very strict with giving any help, and I'm not sure they are currently providing any assistance for dyslexic students. I want to say there was a lawsuit filed a couple years ago about this but I'm not sure which way it went - or even if it went through (heard through rumor mill). Either way it is worth calling.

Medical schools would see dyslexia as a liability if the medical licensing board does not provide any aid. If you can't pass the licensing exams, you can't become a physician and have to drop-out. Medical schools (who get funding from the gov't) do not want to take chances of losing funding by having students drop out.

Before you get that far, it might be worth calling to ask if dyslexia is a disease that qualifies for aid with the USMLE licensing exams (Step 1-3). This National Board of Medical Examinations is very strict with giving any help, and I'm not sure they are currently providing any assistance for dyslexic students. I want to say there was a lawsuit filed a couple years ago about this but I'm not sure which way it went - or even if it went through (heard through rumor mill). Either way it is worth calling.

Medical schools would see dyslexia as a liability if the medical licensing board does not provide any aid. If you can't pass the licensing exams, you can't become a physician and have to drop-out. Medical schools (who get funding from the gov't) do not want to take chances of losing funding by having students drop out.

Thanks for the input that is definitely an important thing to consider. I do know when I was on an interview at the University at Buffalo, they talked about providing help to dyslexic students. That makes me wonder what they do when their students take the USMLE, they must offer some accommodations right?

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a student in my original class that had some sort of learning disability (maybe dyslexia - I never asked). The medical licensing board refused to give accomodations. Since certain abilities are required to become a doctor, I'm assuming that disability laws do not apply.....? Anyways my old classmate could not get accomodations or pass Step 1. To my knowledge, he had to quit.

I'd assume the ability to read your own research papers and study materials instead of always needing to have them read to you is going to be pretty important as a doctor. When you're the only doc at 3AM you're not going to be able to find someone to read the patient's chart to you so you can treat him.

I think it would be more appropriately analogous to suggest theyd require more time to read, not that they would be functionally illiterate...

I think it would be more appropriately analogous to suggest theyd require more time to read, not that they would be functionally illiterate...

I hear you, but .......

The medical licensing board developed the USMLE Step exams to be the MINIMUM required to become a US physician. Approximately 94-98% of all US med students pass each Step exam the FIRST time. Over 70% of 2nd attempt US students pass. A student who can not pass the exam within 3 tries is not allowed to practice in most states - EVER, medical graduate or not. I'm not even sure that they give ANY accomodations. It is something big to look into.

I'm not sure what type of research has been done to decide what disorders will not allow you to become a competent physician. Maybe another thing to look into.

Oh I agree with What you've said. My response was to the "but how will he read a chart" aspect. Still I think it would be easier to get the accommodation of extra time instead of a reader if one were able to obtain any.

Reactions: 1 user
As much as I feel for someone with a learning disability, dyslexia seems like something that could seriously be a liability for medical schools. I don't like the idea of extreme accommodations this late in education, as there is not always going to be someone to help out in an actual medical situation. Claiming dyslexia is not going to get a doctor sympathy for mis-dosing a medication or reading a chart incorrectly; they would more than likely be served with a lawsuit. That being said, the only accommodation that I feel should be allowed is extended time, if that.

Go ahead and disagree...

I hear you, but .......

The medical licensing board developed the USMLE Step exams to be the MINIMUM required to become a US physician. Approximately 94-98% of all US med students pass each Step exam the FIRST time. Over 70% of 2nd attempt US students pass. A student who can not pass the exam within 3 tries is not allowed to practice in most states - EVER, medical graduate or not. I'm not even sure that they give ANY accomodations. It is something big to look into.

I'm not sure what type of research has been done to decide what disorders will not allow you to become a competent physician. Maybe another thing to look into.

Relevant news-story. Person has dyslexia, wins lawsuit to take it. I'm sure if he can - the OP's friend can as well.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/feb/28/yalie-wins-disability-lawsuit/?print

I personally know someone with dyslexia who was accepted into AOA. I'm not sure how bad your friend's dyslexia is, but it is possible to succeed in medical school and do well on Boards... If his/her score is high enough to be accepted, I doubt that he/she will not be able to pass Boards (generally not a problem for students who get into medical school). It may be more work than it would be if he/she did not have dyslexia, but it certainly isn't a deal-breaker for a career in medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I know nothing about the USMLE exams, but is it a time management test? Like would a non-dyslexic benefit from the extra time or is it relatively easy to finish in the allotted time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Relevant news-story. Person has dyslexia, wins lawsuit to take it. I'm sure if he can - the OP's friend can as well.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/feb/28/yalie-wins-disability-lawsuit/?print

How pissed are you going to be when the guy who gets double time gets a better score than you? Can't say I'm going to be super happy. This score is one of if not the most important factor in residency decisions. The article says 1 in 5 people qualify as dyslexic.

Hey guys thanks for all the posts. He does have pretty severe dyslexia. I don't think that he needs extra time for exams; he just needs some to read them to him. I mean he has made it through undergrad with almost all straight A's which I feel is quite an accomplishment for someone with or without dyslexia. I totally get the whole liability thing, but I'm sure there has to be some dyslexic medical students out there. Is there anyone out there who knows of someone who has been through a similar situation? Thanks!

As much as I feel for someone with a learning disability, dyslexia seems like something that could seriously be a liability for medical schools. I don't like the idea of extreme accommodations this late in education, as there is not always going to be someone to help out in an actual medical situation. Claiming dyslexia is not going to get a doctor sympathy for mis-dosing a medication or reading a chart incorrectly; they would more than likely be served with a lawsuit. That being said, the only accommodation that I feel should be allowed is extended time, if that.

Go ahead and disagree...
Uvula, vulva...

Joking aside, I hope your friend can get some guidance and pursue his dream if it's meant to be.

Hey guys thanks for all the posts. He does have pretty severe dyslexia. I don't think that he needs extra time for exams; he just needs some to read them to him. I mean he has made it through undergrad with almost all straight A's which I feel is quite an accomplishment for someone with or without dyslexia. I totally get the whole liability thing, but I'm sure there has to be some dyslexic medical students out there. Is there anyone out there who knows of someone who has been through a similar situation? Thanks!

If he needs someone to read everything to pass, that could be a major issue.

I feel for your friend. This whole process is extremly difficult for someone with dyslexia. PM me if you have some particular questions you would like answered. I am starting my first year this summer.

BTW sorry if you get my message like 4 times, I am not sure if it sent...

Regardless of the testing conditions point, this does raise an interesting slippery-slope type question: If an individual's dyslexia is severe enough that having a reader/audio available is absolutely necessary, will an insurance company be forced to provide malpractice insurance coverage? It would certainly make and interesting actuarial problem to determine the appropriate policy costs with respect to area of practice. Would the determined policy costs be prohibitive for the individual to practice medicine?

Harvey Cushing was dyslexic. Tell your friend to ****ing go for it.

I can get my head around needing extra time, but reading to him?? How does that even work? Does he stop at a section and have someone come into the room and read out loud what he cant? I'm not trying to be judgemental, I've just never heard of this before.

And what others have said about how this might effect every other aspect of his career. Once again, I can see need an extra minute to read a chart or make sure you wrote down the proper word etc. But how would that work in the clinic when he needs to read something to make a decision on the spot?

I can get my head around needing extra time, but reading to him?? How does that even work? Does he stop at a section and have someone come into the room and read out loud what he cant? I'm not trying to be judgemental, I've just never heard of this before.

And what others have said about how this might effect every other aspect of his career. Once again, I can see need an extra minute to read a chart or make sure you wrote down the proper word etc. But how would that work in the clinic when he needs to read something to make a decision on the spot?

This is sometimes offered as an ADA complaint accommodation depending on the situation, i.e. state Civil Service exams. It depends on whether it is considered a reasonable accommodation which will vary based on individual situation.

This is sometimes offered as an ADA complaint accommodation depending on the situation, i.e. state Civil Service exams. It depends on whether it is considered a reasonable accommodation which will vary based on individual situation.
That makes sense. I do think there are great doctors with disabilities and they should be accommodated because they can bring good perspectives into medicine. It gets tough with these things because honestly getting into med school is probably the easiest obstacle, where as step exams and state board licensing may be a bigger hurdle. It's actually an unresolved legal issue whether the state board needs to follow the ADA guidelines set forth in the 90s.