Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

E2 reaction with t-But

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by nwu, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwu

nwu Just yes 2+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Hi,

This is a quick question about a E2 reaction I stumbled upon. Perhaps my understanding of the E2 mechanism is poor, but take a look at this picture below:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Formation_of_the_Hofmann_Product.png

I understand that in a E2 reaction for a tertiary halide involving a bulky base, we get the Hoffman product, ie double bond with less substitution. But for this reaction wouldn't there be a second Hoffman product? That Br has three carbons each of these carbons has a hydrogen for the Base to rip off. Would another reasonable product be a double bond on that methyl outgroup?

Thank you

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mcatstuff19

mcatstuff19 2+ Year Member

May 25, 2014
    Rotate C2 of the Hofmann. It's the same molecule.

4. PKU

PKU 2+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Doesn't matter which carbon you choose, both provide the same product.

In NMR, those hydrogens are equivalent.

5. nwu

nwu Just yes 2+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks, didn't see that.

6. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Thread closed. These types of questions belong in the MCAT Study Q&A forum only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.