Early Acceptance Programs in California Med Schools

viciouz

WesternU 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
712
1
Chino Hillls
Status
Medical Student
I am now starting my 3rd year in college with a 3.3 GPA, and taking the last paper based MCAT. I have a lot of Extracurriculars with a lot of volunteering experience and some pretty damn good research at UCI Med Center under an Oncologist.

But I have been hearing a lot of things from random people...so... I was wondering if any of you guys knew where I can find which schools, specifically in California, that have Early Acceptance Programs. Also, if there is a list of all Med Schools in California too. Also, me being a 3rd year now, are these programs even applicable to me?
 

AMcD3

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
59
0
Status
Pre-Medical
viciouz said:
I am now starting my 3rd year in college with a 3.3 GPA, and taking the last paper based MCAT. I have a lot of Extracurriculars with a lot of volunteering experience and some pretty damn good research at UCI Med Center under an Oncologist.

But I have been hearing a lot of things from random people...so... I was wondering if any of you guys knew where I can find which schools, specifically in California, that have Early Acceptance Programs. Also, if there is a list of all Med Schools in California too. Also, me being a 3rd year now, are these programs even applicable to me?
go to the aamc website and buy the MSAR. it has med schools broken down by state and a lot of info on each school, including EAP
 
About the Ads

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think it's better than you know sooner rather than later after you've invested lots of time/money/hope/sanity. To get into a school as an early acceptance applicant, you need to be overqualified, and for California schools a 3.3 is below average anyway.
 

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
2,306
10
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
tacrum43 said:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think it's better than you know sooner rather than later after you've invested lots of time/money/hope/sanity. To get into a school as an early acceptance applicant, you need to be overqualified, and for California schools a 3.3 is below average anyway.
A 3.3 may be acceptable at the DO schools in CA if your MCAT is good. But yeah, if you want to do Cali schools, you'll probably need to do better than 3.3, and early acceptances usually accepted students with stats that are above their accepted mean. I suggest focusing on the MCAT and upping your GPA before thinking about applying early.
 

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
772
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tacrum43 said:
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think it's better than you know sooner rather than later after you've invested lots of time/money/hope/sanity. To get into a school as an early acceptance applicant, you need to be overqualified, and for California schools a 3.3 is below average anyway.
QFT
 

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
772
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
viciouz said:
Doesn't hurt to try, does it?
When you apply EDP, you can't apply to any other schools. If you dont get accepted, your app will be late for other schools which is bad with your GPA. So yes, it does.
 

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
1,584
9
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
DrHuang said:
When you apply EDP, you can't apply to any other schools. If you dont get accepted, your app will be late for other schools which is bad with your GPA. So yes, it does.
Yep, Stanford has an EDP and it specifically says: "Exceptionally well-qualified students who are fully informed as to the suitability of the school's programs to their educational goals may apply for admission to Stanford through the Early Decision Plan. This plan, like our regular admissions process, is operated by AMCAS, subject to the usual constraints of AMCAS early decision plans: an early decision application will be directed only to the one school designated by the applicant and will not be submitted to other schools until the early decision has been made."

No offense to the OP, but in terms of California, I would not call a 3.3 as exceptional considering the UC's typically has a GPA cut off around a 3.0-3.2 anyway. Admitted students at UCI alone had a average GPA of 3.7. The other UC's are no less challenging...in fact I think its harder at other UC's, and of course the private schools (Stanford and USC). Loma Linda is essentially a hopeless endeavor unless the OP is a Seventh Day Adventist.

I agree with what DrHuang said, if the OP does an EDP, then chances are they will not be admitted and their application to other schools could be delayed till October 1st (per Stanford's website), and thats REALLY late.

Now if the OP applies normally, and/or to DO schools, thats a different story. A 3.3 is not too bad in terms of non-CA schools, and in terms of CA, it is not impossible but more challenging than one would like. However the OP is a 3rd year and perhaps can bring up his/her GPA, and do well on the MCAT. Good luck! :luck:
 
About the Ads