Early acceptance =

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by GatorRomp, Dec 26, 2008.

1. GatorRomp

GatorRomp PharmD Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    STRESS!

Along the course of my undergraduate years, my major changed from engineering to pharmacy/medical school. Despite some uncertainties, I knew that I wanted a career in science. Our reason for choosing pharmacy may not be the same, but I suspect that the majority of us wanted to make a difference in patients' lives and earn a modest living doing so.

Indeed, the practice of pharmacy has become more attractive and the wealth of information that accompanies the responsibilities of the pharmacist are growing more complex. Having researched the career quite a bit, I've come to understand that its academic rigors require the utmost dedication to do well.

I worked hard in school (while I held a job) precisely to get my foot in the door. After a few interviews, I knew where I was headed for pharmacy school. However, an early acceptance, while a relief, has afforded me time to ponder my 'vulnerabilities' about the 4-year pharmacy curriculum. In short, I'm scared up to my eyeballs! :scared:

Perhaps, sensing this pressure, a dear SDN'er writes:

Am I academically capable as my brilliant future classmates? When I wear the white coat, will I be competent enough? Should the title Pharmacist be bestowed upon me?

After reading SOBEGEKKO'S reply (to a different question), I realize that I am indeed an accepted pharmacy student because I was competitive. I spent years jockeying for a pharmacy position, my teachers wrote stellar letters of reference on my behalf; failing is not an option. And now that I'm in, there's no looking back! I realize this may be short-lived once the avalanche of exams and deadlines start pouring in. But, I have no choice but to go on... to become a clinical pharmacist.

2. Transformer

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Good job GatorRomp, you are as cautious as you are reflective of yours and other peoples' performances.

It's normal to be a little scared of the unknown and the unexpected. We all feel scared at one point in our lives. To me, it is what makes life interesting and worth living.

I'm sure you will perform well in pharmacy school and make positive contributions to the communities you serve as a pharmacist.

3. Acid11

Acid11 I speak Chinglish
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    This sounds like a personal statement. Well done. There seems to be an implication in your last paragraph; that the fact that you cannot turn back means this can serve as your motivation to succeed until the end.'

4. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
  5. GatorRomp

GatorRomp PharmD Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thank you! It appears that I'm not alone in my genuine heightened anticipation of pharmacy school.

Thx for your comment. Motivation goes a long way. But I'm ready to start the program. I don't want to be part of the attrition rate.

Surely you can contribute constructively (for or against).
    What exactly does a lethargic 'Huh' achieve?
    The words 'Good' or 'Bad' would have lazily been more interesting.
    Your one word vernacular does nothing to produce a healthy debate on the issue. As such, you wasted your time in vain. Pathetic.

Before you angrily fire off a rebuttal, I trust that you will answer in a thoughtful and more civilized fashion. Cheers.

6. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Although you bait me, I've come to realize that I should pick my battles, and I choose not to waste my time fighting this one.

7. GatorRomp

GatorRomp PharmD Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Huh?

8. acetyl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Don't be scared! It's not that bad, really, it's not that bad. School is school. Memorize and regurgitate via exams. The hard part will be solving problems that there isn't a definite answer to. Worry about each battle as you come to it.

9. GatorRomp

GatorRomp PharmD Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Thank you for your advice! I'm not one to worry too much when things are within my control. You are right though! One step at a time.