Early Decision at DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PV1

Hi guys,

I was wondering what the deal with early decision applications are. It seems like nobody would really want to try applying early decision to some DO schools (or MD schools for that matter) because I think most schools state that "you" cannot apply to other schools at the same time. Does this greatly improve chances of entering the school that one has applied early decision to? I found out about this stuff while reading through the Western University of Health Sciences catalog. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

PV1:

I have the same question. I am only a sophomore at the University of Iowa and I am considering applying early decision at COMS in Des Moines. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but plan to soon. When can I apply and can I apply pending my MCAT? Also thank you in advance!

Go Hawks

Hawkeye,

I may be mistaken, but I don't think Des Moines has EDP. The only DO programs that I'm certain have EDP are PCOM and COMP (there may be others, but I think it's a definite minority of the DO schools).

PV1,

It's not the schools that state you can't apply to other schools, but that's the way EDP works. You can only apply to one school (therefore, you should only consider EDP if it's available at your top choice). In return for your "loyalty" the schools agree to inform you of their decision early (I think by Oct. 1 or so--someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you're accepted via EDP, you are committed to attend that school (so, once again, be certain that's the school you want).If you're not accepted EDP, your app is returned to the stack for consideration during the regular cycle. At this point, you are also now able to apply to additional schools.

I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
After checking my Princeton Review Best Med Schools book, it appears that TCOM and MSUCOM both have EDP as well. However, these schools are public schools, and as a result accept primarily state residents. I guess this doesn't help much unless you're from TX or MI.

I applied early decision to KCOM last year. Unlike most allopthic schools that I am aware of there was not a separate interview date for EDPs but what admissions told me is that by applying EDP your application goes to the top of the pile for processing and evaluation.

I chose to apply early decision because I knew that KCOM was what I wanted. By applying EDP I knew during the first week of Ocotober that I was accepted. The main reason that I applied EDP was that I felt that I was a strong candidate for acceptance and was afraid that if I applied to multiple schools I might get accepted at another school, put down the $500 deposit (or whatever amount it may be) and then would find out afterwards that I got into KCOM and I would end up losing a lot of money on the deal.

As far as being only able to apply to one school that was true. To apply EDP at KCOM I had to sign a card saying I would not apply to any other schools and that if KCOM accepted me I had to accept or not go to any medschools that year.

Applying EDP at KCOM is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I love KCOM and it was great knowing way back in October where I was going. (Obviously it is possible to not apply EDP and to still know that early where you are going.)

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

I applied to Western U via ED this year, and was accepted straight away.

I knew that Western was the one for me after going to their OMAC (osteo. med. awareness conference). Their students were most impressive.

I looked at 4 other osteo. schools, then made my decision. I don't regret it.

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

Hey Paul

Did you know that you were the only one out of the entire EDP pool to get accepted at COMP. (at least what I was told at my interview). Quite impressive!