Early Decision decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhawk

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am currently a junior, and just took the MCAT in April. I have a 3.7 GPA with about a 3.8 BCPM. I went to a small, private LAC in Wisconsin. I volunteer at a hospital, nothing special, but I have had two summer long research internships, one with the USGS and one at Los Alamos Labs in NM. I am active on campus in government, clubs, etc.

Now, my question. If I do as well on the MCAT as I think/hope, and get about a 35-37(who cares about the letter, right?) and I am very positive that I want to go to school at Georgetown, do you all think the Early Decision Program is a good idea? I dont really want to waste all the application time if I wont get in. Are they more strict with the EDP than with the normal acceptances, i.e. am I souring a marginal application by being forward with the EDP? Or is it best to take a crack at my top school and then go from there if I am not accepted?

Thanks for any input, from anyone.
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown is pretty selective. ED becomes decidedly less beneficial as you go up the rankings. I would say 'no,' just go regular. It's my understanding that ED is most beneficial if you are interested in, say, your state school, and you're at or above their average GPA/MCAT.

Do a thread search on 'early decision' or 'EDP.' This question has been asked a lot.

You don't want to be set back if you apply ED there and are deferred into the regular admissions pool (you can't release your application to other schools until you get your ED decision, which is in October, I think).

My school's premed advisor would say to try and contact the dean of admissions when you have your full profile (ie, MCAT back) and ask to talk about your chances for ED - If he/she can pretty much promise you will get in ED, go for it, otherwise apply regular there and other places. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. I imagine if you do end up applying ED, you probably want to have a good reason for doing so, one that will resonate with their admissions committee. In general, it seems ED is only helpful in very limited cases, and the lack of an extremely compelling reason and very strong application relative to what Georgetown usually sees (and they see the whole range) seems to say ED isn't the best choice for you. Just my opinion, though.