Early Decision Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justDOit19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently received an interview at a DO school for Early Decision Consideration, and was looking for some advice. Are my chances of post-interview acceptance high since I qualified for Early Decision? Any tips for early decision interviews in general? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Recently received an interview at a DO school for Early Decision Consideration, and was looking for some advice. Are my chances of post-interview acceptance high since I qualified for Early Decision? Any tips for early decision interviews in general? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chances of acceptance are 100% on you

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply, maybe I should have worded the question like this:

Are prospective students that are invited for early decision at a higher likelihood of being accepted as opposed to later interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, maybe I should have worded the question like this:

Are prospective students that are invited for early decision at a higher likelihood of being accepted as opposed to later interviews?
While I understand that all chances of acceptance are 100% on the applicant, is there any data showing that students who are interviewed earlier are more often accepted?

You probably have a higher chance. They saw something that they liked

Can you tell us more about the format of your interview day?
Details have yet to be posted, however this will be my second interview after being waitlisted in 2018-2019. Last interview format was three 30-45 minute interviews and a tour of the campus. Very conversational.

Details have yet to be posted, however this will be my second interview after being waitlisted in 2018-2019. Last interview format was three 30-45 minute interviews and a tour of the campus. Very conversational.
Be yourself. Anticipate the questions about apparent concerns or weaknesses. Show us you can be an informed and trainable colleague. Don't dominate the conversation.

I think for a lot of schools (but not all) it can give you a leg up to interview early decision. Schools know they can fill their spots with people they like, without playing the wait and see game that happens sometimes right up until school is about to start.

As far as the interview goes, "be yourself - but better" meaning highlight all your strengths and have your deficiencies minimized. Practice, practice, practice as many potential questions as you can find. Answer them succinctly with real examples that support your answer and application.

As for what not to do, here is a cute video that I'm sure interviewers will laugh at (because you've experienced it) and interviewees will cringe at (because you fear it)!