Early Decision Programs.....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRPL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I am gearing up to take the MCAT for the third time.....I taken the test twice under "bad" circumstances (taking accerlerated orgo at same time as studying and then a sudden death of mentor days before). I had even worse circumstances last summer when I planned to take it again...so I held off. The years are ticking away as it the time since I took the stupid courses (did well). My undergrad gpa is about a 3.0 and since then I have done a postbacc program (where most classes were A or B (one c)). My question is about early decision programs... Assuming I do well on this mcat (at least for me = 30ish) and knowing that my in-state school usually is under "quota" for in-state admissions....should I apply early decision? I know this is generally for stronger candidates but I have heard that for in-state, the standards may be lowered.... This is definitely where I want to go....Anyone have any experience/knowledge about this? thanks for any suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.0, they will probably just kick you back out of the pool. Most would advise to apply liberally and get everything in early. An EDP app would prevent this. Any C in a postbacc is going to be a red flag.

Do you have an MSAR? If not, you can PM me with your state of residence, and I can tell you about what you need to make it in at your state. 30/3.0 would probably be waitlist caliber at my state school.

So what is your AMCAS GPA now with the post-bacc classes? What were your MCAT scores before?

Is your state school the only one you will consider going to? From reading between the lines (as you did not include specific information), it seems you would do better to apply more broadly, including D.O. schools. ED would put you at a disadvantage and is not for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
... Assuming I do well on this mcat (at least for me = 30ish) and knowing that my in-state school usually is under "quota" for in-state admissions....should I apply early decision? I know this is generally for stronger candidates but I have heard that for in-state, the standards may be lowered.... This is definitely where I want to go....Anyone have any experience/knowledge about this? thanks for any suggestions...

My very best advice is to GO TALK TO THEM. Call the admissions office and ask if you can discuss early decision with someone. I did this and it helped me immensely, and probably saved my admission cycle this year. I realize every school is different, but I spoke with the Dean of Admissions at my #1 (by far) school as well as the Asst Dean at my #2 school, and both were more than willing to sit down and talk to an early decision candidate. They know best. They'll be able to give you an honest opinion and any suggestions they may have, coming straight from the mouth of the beast :laugh:! Do it! It's a great way to get your foot in the door, too!

... Assuming I do well on this mcat (at least for me = 30ish) and knowing that my in-state school usually is under "quota" for in-state admissions....should I apply early decision? I know this is generally for stronger candidates but I have heard that for in-state, the standards may be lowered.... This is definitely where I want to go....Anyone have any experience/knowledge about this? thanks for any suggestions...

By the way, my scores are similar : Undergrad GPA 3.15, MCAT 30O, Masters GPA 3.75, and I was told I was too borderline to risk early decision, but had a fairly good shot at regular acceptance pool at Medical College of Wisconsin. I plan to write a strong letter of interest stating that they are my first choice, and a letter of intention after the interview. Hope that helps! :luck: