Early Decision vs. Regular Decision. Insight please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptdude66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm kind of in a dilemma and not sure what to do. I just need to get into one school but I'm scared that I won't get in because of my low GPA. Would you guys recommend apply to somewhere such as AT Still or Mount St. Mary's for Early Decision? I know that applying early decision will obviously have less competition, but I am scared because if I don't get in ED, I don't want my application being sent to other schools in late September because of rolling admissions...what do you guys think? Any input is appreciated!

My stats are:
UC Davis '13
Major: Food Science
Overall GPA: 3.11
Pre-req GPA: 3.0-3.5 (3.5 with retakes)
Last 60 units: 3.9
GRE: 149V 154Q 4.0 AW (1st time), 153 V 158 Q waiting on* AW (second time)
Observation: 300 outpatient, 40 inpatient
Exta-Curric: pre-pt club, AACF, Volunteer at local homeless shelter, Intramural sports, volunteer at local church, research assistant at veterinary lab.

I know my GPA is low, but I've worked extremely hard to raise it from a 2.7 since last year...as well as raising my GRE score up by 8 points.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ptdude66,

Just wondering, how many programs are you applying for? Also the fact that you scored higher on the GRE the second time is a good thing showing you tried harder as you are really committed to the PT profession, however as many will agree GRE does not fully compensate for low GPA, however remember to keep positive as admissions look at applicants holistically.

I honestly think if you really believe you have a chance and meet the minimum requirements for your ED school choice, you should do it, just make sure you are really committed to that particular program, thus research their curriculum/student life/ etc. thoroughly. As far as the other non ED schools, I honestly don't think having them sent in LATE September is not considered late as long as you send it before their deadline. I know many applicants who sent their applications on the 'later' side of the cycle and still got into schools....

hope this helped !

Hello ptdude66,

Just wondering, how many programs are you applying for? Also the fact that you scored higher on the GRE the second time is a good thing showing you tried harder as you are really committed to the PT profession, however as many will agree GRE does not fully compensate for low GPA, however remember to keep positive as admissions look at applicants holistically.

I honestly think if you really believe you have a chance and meet the minimum requirements for your ED school choice, you should do it, just make sure you are really committed to that particular program, thus research their curriculum/student life/ etc. thoroughly. As far as the other non ED schools, I honestly don't think having them sent in LATE September is not considered late as long as you send it before their deadline. I know many applicants who sent their applications on the 'later' side of the cycle and still got into schools....

hope this helped !
Thank you so much! I'll def do a little research on the schools! I'll probably apply to alot of schools. Most of the ones in california forsure