Early decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT782

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am currently a junior and plan on applying to DO schools the next application cycle (next June). Does anyone know the benefits/ detriments of early decision programs? There are only a few schools I am interested in and one in particular, and I was wondering if it was smarter to apply to the one for ED, or to just apply to a handful and hope to get in. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time. :)

-Chris

Members don't see this ad.

EDP is nice because you get to interview before everyone else, and you have a great shot at admission. For example, a staff member at Kirksville told me that they haven't turned down an EDP student for as long as she'd worked there. (BTW, KCOM requires a 3.5 science GPA to apply EDP).

On the down side, if you don't get in, you'll be behind many people in the application cycle, but you'll still have plenty of time to apply and interview.

IMO, EDP can be a good idea if you are dead set on a paticular school and feel like you have a good shot at getting in. You may want to call the school, and maybe talk to EDP students that have gone that route. Good luck.

I applied as an EDP student and was accepted back in August at TUCOM. It was worth it!!! I have spent hardly any money in applying. There was the obvious advantage of having all 125 spaces available when I interviewed.

As a junior, you have the entire year to concentrate on your senior year and not worry about secondaries, interviews, etc. interfering with your current classwork.

If you are set on one school in particular, then this is definately the way to go. You will find out so soon in the application cycle if you are rejected that your primary application is completed back in June/July and you just notify AACOM to send out your application to other schools if you don't get accepted to the EDP. The latest your primary will be going out to other schools will be end of August or early September. That is still plenty of time to get interviews at other schools.

Thank you for responding! I am just getting antsy... I know I have until June to begin applications, but my stomach is acting like it is now. I guess my biggest fear is applying for ED (for MSUCOM, by the way) and not finding out until the absolute deadline (October 15th). Then I'll really be late on every other school's cycle. Does anyone know if schools have a profile of their average early decision applicant (GPA, MCAT, etc)?