Early Rejection vs. Silent Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Early Rejection vs. Silent Rejection

• Early Rejection

Votes: 80 96.4%
  • Silent Rejection

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

datpremedgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this might seem like a weird question (because who would want rejections lol) but would you rather be outright rejected early in the cycle, or notified at the end, aka silent rejections?

Personally, I would rather be rejected at the end because hopefully by that time, you would have an acceptance(s) already so a rejection wouldn't hurt as much. And even if you're silently rejected, you won't know for sure whether or not you'll get an interview, so there is always a glimmer of hope. Seems rather cruel of some schools to reject super early and crush the dreams of people (I'm looking at you Georgetown) who may have none or very few interviews...

Members don't see this ad.

Early rejections please. As soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this might seem like a weird question (because who would want rejections lol) but would you rather be outright rejected early in the cycle, or notified at the end, aka silent rejections?

Personally, I would rather be rejected at the end because hopefully by that time, you would have an acceptance(s) already so a rejection wouldn't hurt as much. And even if you're silently rejected, you won't know for sure whether or not you'll get an interview, so there is always a glimmer of hope. Seems rather cruel of some schools to reject super early and crush the dreams of people (I'm looking at you Georgetown) who may have none or very few interviews...

Id sooner know. If they don't want me and they know it, but I'm hopeful, I'll just have that anxiety longer to still get rejected. Obviously if they don't know, they can hang on to my app, but once they've decided... Tell me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Early rejection hands down.

Wait, what? Why would anyone want to be strung along for the entire cycle...would you rather be rejected or led on is the way I would think about it. Definitely reject me..so I can look into other options.

Just reject me now and let me move on with my life

Reactions: 4 users
Early rejection, if it is super early then you can potentially add another school.

Early rejection without a doubt. They're doing you a favor instead of keeping you hanging and giving you an (ultimately) false sense of hope for several months on end.

I will admit that receiving a few II's has softened the blow of early rejections, but I actually appreciated the schools that let me know early because then I know "Oh okay, they didn't want me" and I forget about them a couple of hours later

Reactions: 1 users
Early rejections help to notify the applicants... early on... to see what went wrong, give the notion they weren't a good fit etc. and allow the applicants to plan accordingly.

Silent rejections are insensitive and unprofessional, especially in a profession where complete and prompt communication is mandated.

Do you like girls stringing you along for nothing or do you like girls who reject you right off the bat?

Why treat medical school apps any differently?

Instant rejection >>>>> stringing along.

Early. I expect to be rejected from most schools so it doesn't feel bad at all (or at least the one I got didn't)

Do you like girls stringing you along for nothing or do you like girls who reject you right off the bat?

Why treat medical school apps any differently?

Instant rejection >>>>> stringing along.

Depending on what type of "stringing along" is involved, i may not necessarily pick the instant rejection ;)

Depending on what type of "stringing along" is involved, i may not necessarily pick the instant rejection ;)

True... if stringing along entails some fun oogity boogity along the way, then why not

:)

31 voted early rejections. I think this thread is more or less over.

Its kind of like dating in a sense... Early rejections are better so I can find different schools and move on with my life

Last edited:
Lol I don't think I've seen such a unanimous poll in my life

44-0 This is like Florida St vs. Savannah St

I applied to 15 schools, and I currently have either a rejection or an II from 8 of them. I personally prefer knowing early on whether a school is interested or not rather than waiting around until April or May and presuming they aren't interested when I still haven't heard anything. I consider myself very lucky to have the interview or no interview decision made so early on in the process at so many schools.

Poll is now at 58-0. This is impressive, guys. Keep it up.

I feel like somebody is now going to vote for silent rejections just because they want to end the unanimous vote.

Reactions: 2 users