Early score release possible? AAMC's fault

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was scheduled for the August 3rd exam. Needless to say it went as bad as possible. I went to the test centre at 7 AM, got started on the tutorial by 730 AM, and as I hit the "start test" button, my screen went blank. This happened to many others as well. The next 6 hours were spent trying to resolve the issue. The proctors were on the phone with "AAMC Helpline", and at 1 PM everyone was sent home for a reschedule. Here is the thing: I schedued for Aug 3rd so I can have my score back before September 12th (last day to write MCAT). Now, unless the AAMC is able to release my score "early", I won't get my score back before a possible retake. If I don't get the score I need then I have to take another year off which is not feasible for me. Would the AAMC consider releasing my score early considering they ****ed me over? Seriously they should be prepared and know how to deal with computer issues during exams. I am so pissed off. Do I have a chance? I will call them eventually to find out.

EDIT: I have been reschduled for the 16th, now at 1PM. What should I do in the meantime? I used all AAMC FL's/SA's, all of TBR passages, a good chunk of TPR. Should I just do practice passages (remaining TPR and Kaplan)? Should I do more content review? This is very frustrating... I have the AAMC "style" of Q and A's in my mind, now I have to revert back to prep material.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I understand life isn't fair, dude. This is not a reason to "just forget about it and suck it up". People in power could and should accommodate for their mistakes. Maybe you will have a ****ty experience MCAT day and understand the frustration that accompanies it.

That sucks, OP. I would be pretty upset too.

I doubt you will have any sort of success getting your scores early, but I think you should call them and explain your situation. Worst case scenario you just waste some of your time.

But no, I do not think they will get you your scores early. As soon as they do, they acknowledge that it doesn't actually take 30 days to score and process a test, and that is a bag of worms I don't think they're willing to open. I would not expect anything, if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will not release them early. They also will not make the accommodation of letting me sit for Aug 9th MCAT since late registration closed ... you'd think the would allow an exception....my goodness.... earliest is the 15th/16th and that depends if there are any openings in my area. Honestly don't even wanna write this ****ing thing

Yeah I agree with the above poster. Maybe call and explain your situation. Unfortunately they don't seem to be very flexible with errors like this besides the basic reschedule, but I don't think they can do anything with the day you get your scores back.

I feel for you because I planned my test taking around the exact same way but you know this kind of stuff isn't really fair. :( Best of luck to you. Maybe you can coax them into giving you a free Jan seat?

I was scheduled for the August 3rd exam. Needless to say it went as bad as possible. I went to the test centre at 7 AM, got started on the tutorial by 730 AM, and as I hit the "start test" button, my screen went blank. This happened to many others as well. The next 6 hours were spent trying to resolve the issue. The proctors were on the phone with "AAMC Helpline", and at 1 PM everyone was sent home for a reschedule. Here is the thing: I schedued for Aug 3rd so I can have my score back before September 12th (last day to write MCAT). Now, unless the AAMC is able to release my score "early", I won't get my score back before a possible retake. If I don't get the score I need then I have to take another year off which is not feasible for me. Would the AAMC consider releasing my score early considering they ****ed me over? Seriously they should be prepared and know how to deal with computer issues during exams. I am so pissed off. Do I have a chance? I will call them eventually to find out.

Did you send in a formal complaint to the AAMC? I had to do this because of problems at my testing center as well (although I was able to take the test that day). You have a window to do so, something like 10 days. You have to snail mail in the complaint.

You could at least try getting your money back. I don't think you'll have any luck trying to get an early score release.

OP, that really sucks.

I don't think they can give you your score earlier, but at the very least, I think you deserve a full refund.

I also went through something very similar this year. I got full refund but was very frustrated as I did not get the date I wanted. I got July 2 afterwards and even on that day, MCAT started 1 hour late. I am not sure why they are having such technical difficulties. It is really frustrating.