Earning money on the side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaykay

Rookie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any good ideas for part-time jobs or earning money on the side?

No I'm not a greedy pharmacist but my fiance and I would like to buy a house within the next year or two and I'm the only income earner since he is still in school for another 2 years.
Pharmacy jobs are obviously hard to come by in my area. I can't even get a call back on tech jobs that I've applied for. :(

any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

What do you know how to do?
Professional organizing, housecleaning, dog walker/sitter, assist an elderly person with errands/take to appointments, tutoring, substitute teacher - a few ideas

No I'm not a greedy pharmacist but my fiance and I would like to buy a house within the next year or two and I'm the only income earner since he is still in school for another 2 years.
Pharmacy jobs are obviously hard to come by in my area. I can't even get a call back on tech jobs that I've applied for. :(

any help is appreciated

I guess you ended up pulling out of your residency?

Members don't see this ad :)

any help is appreciated

You really are applying for technician jobs? You have a first-professional doctorate degree. Do you understand that no one would hire you for a technician job. They think your application is a joke and/or if not why you are so undesirable that you are applying for jobs that pay $10/hour.

Any staffing agencies in your area? Get licenses in nearby states and travel (as I imagine the East coast would be more amicable to this)

In AZ, there are little towns spread out up to 3 hours away with per diem jobs. I know a guy that goes to Havasu from California.

any good ideas for part-time jobs or earning money on the side?

No i'm not a greedy pharmacist but my fiance and i would like to buy a house within the next year or two and i'm the only income earner since he is still in school for another 2 years.
Pharmacy jobs are obviously hard to come by in my area. I can't even get a call back on tech jobs that i've applied for. :(

any help is appreciated

stop applying for technician jobs....please!

Any staffing agencies in your area? Get licenses in nearby states and travel (as I imagine the East coast would be more amicable to this)

In AZ, there are little towns spread out up to 3 hours away with per diem jobs. I know a guy that goes to Havasu from California.

Yeah you better jump on these quick. We're about to graduate 80 students some of which have done rural rotations in those little towns.

any help is appreciated

Any experience waiting tables? Can be a good source of quick income.

Ebay. If you don't have a house full of crap to sell, you can always look around at garage/estate sales. It's not the easiest way to make money, but you get to employ yourself. :)

you could try tutoring high school/college students.

I would think a PharmD would be impressive to parents looking for someone who knows stuff to teach their kid.

Licensure in other states is expensive. I would not do it unless it is for a specific job. You might consider moving and visiting with the income you make while not wasting away locally. Stuff isnt going to get better by staying put.

Teaching a night class at a university? It was suggested to me by a professor that I could "come teach" whenever I was complaining about pharmacy. :oops:

Sticking with your residency would have been a stable income for a year. Making $45k/yr is better than no income.

Teaching a night class at a university? It was suggested to me by a professor that I could "come teach" whenever I was complaining about pharmacy. :oops:

I would halfway consider this. Seems like it could be fun, and you're not really part of the establishment if you don't want to be. I know our local CC pays crap, though. I think it's a grand or 1500 a semester for each 3 hour course you teach.