Earplugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guillemot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So regarding earplugs, apparently we are allowed to bring "soft foam" earplugs to the USMLE.

What about silicone earplugs? I think these would be more comfortable...

Otherwise maybe I should perforate my eardrums the day before and take the hit on the auscultation q's?

Members don't see this ad.

So if the earplugs have one of those cords that connect them around the back you can't use them. I would highly recommend just bringing some of the soft foam ones. If the earplugs don't have one of those cords and it is really obvious they aren't an earpiece they may let you use them (I don't know) but I would make sure you have the foam ones just in case.

The sound honestly isn't so bad although there was an annoying point late in my test when they ran the mower outside right up to the window next to my comp and it was loud as hell. That only lasted about 20 min though.

I personally find the tightness of the sound isolating headpieces more annoying that any sound so I just had the sound headphones on the whole time.

You might be allowed to carry earpieces without strings (i think this policy is up to the particular site) but they say they have to watch you throw it away in their trash can at the end of the day.

Your testing center will probably provide you with big yellow sound destroying earmuffs