Earring(s) in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vickfan1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
theres a similiar thread but it concerns with earrings at the interview.

so im curious, is it ok for male DO students to wear earrings in class? or is it consider inappropriate according to the dress code?

just curious whether or not i have to take my earrings off (just 1 small stud on each ear) for good. do u guys have classmates who wear earrings? just wondering.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wore earrings, a tongue ring, and various other piercings not seen through clothing all through medical school. I think I took out the visible ones for the interview.

I take out the tongue ring for clinicals and for work now that I'm a resident.

In fact, right now (sitting in the hospital waiting for a call) I am wearing earrings. Noone says anything.

Depends on the wording of the "dress code" at your institution, whether it would be appropriate to wear them, and how ballsy you are. Just so you know, technically, if they allow women to wear earrings, they cannot make you take yours out. If you cared to look, there have been lawsuits over this matter, just to prove precedent.

jd

From what I have heard from friends, classes are pretty laid back when it comes to that. I'm covered with tattoos (none visible with scrubs or dress clothes on) and with shorts, it's all visible. Don't think I'm going to have a problem based on similarly inked med students I've spoken with. I'm pretty sure earrings won't even be noticed, especially in lecture halls with several hundred people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two earrings and I've never had a problem with administration or docs. You will be fine.

If you have a penis piercing, be sure to remove it before entering an MRI suite.

If you have a penis piercing, be sure to remove it before entering an MRI suite.

Or, you could just get titanium and not have to worry about it at all.

Truthfully, I never remove any of my piercings anymore. I've been about as close to the magnet as one can be and not be IN the magnet, and I've never had a problem. I just use plain surgical steel.